2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
How so? Romine is at least valued comparitively with Montero since he's more likely to stick at catcher, and you're adding in extra pitchers, for a guy who had a terrible year last year.

The Yankees are just going to sign CJ in that case.

Romine and Montero are not even close... Montero has an epic bat, probably second best bat in the minor leagues. He's a top 6 prospect on that alone, which should tell you something. Romine is probably in the backend of the top 100 list around 85 to 100.

I'd run Cashman over with my car if he signs CJ Wilson. I do not want and I don't see how we could even sign him to fit within the budget. We're already at a 194 million payroll and Hal has a cap at 208, 212 if he signs off on extra money. Wilson's going to cost 18 to 20 million per as well and we need more than just him.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Andrew Brackman released by the Yankees today. Sign em up, Coop will fix him!

He dominated out of the bullpen when he switched back to his college delivery. I have to think the Yankees have some sort of deal with him to sign him back to a minor league deal cause theres no way he'd make the team out of ST and he doesn't have any options left.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
He dominated out of the bullpen when he switched back to his college delivery. I have to think the Yankees have some sort of deal with him to sign him back to a minor league deal cause theres no way he'd make the team out of ST and he doesn't have any options left.

If he was that good, they Yankees would have just paid him the money to keep him. It was only a million dollars. Plus if he was that good, someone would offer him a major league deal, or at least a real chance at making the majors, instead of a minor league deal;

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
If he was that good, they Yankees would have just paid him the money to keep him. It was only a million dollars. Plus if he was that good, someone would offer him a major league deal, or at least a real chance at making the majors, instead of a minor league deal;

Does he need a 40 man roster spot? And do the Yankees have extra ones of those (esp. if they want to go after any FA pitchers?)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
With the pen they had last year, if he were good enough, there would be a spot for him.

The Yankees had the best bullpen ERA in the AL last year by a half a run, had the 2nd best save percentage in the AL (next to Detroit), and had one of the lowest numbers of blown saves in the AL. Their bullpen gave up the 2nd lowest batting average against and 2nd lowest OPS against it in the AL (next to Boston in both cases).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
The Yankees had the best bullpen ERA in the AL last year by a half a run, had the 2nd best save percentage in the AL (next to Detroit), and had one of the lowest numbers of blown saves in the AL. Their bullpen gave up the 2nd lowest batting average against and 2nd lowest OPS against it in the AL (next to Boston in both cases).

lol

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
Romine and Montero are not even close... Montero has an epic bat, probably second best bat in the minor leagues. He's a top 6 prospect on that alone, which should tell you something. Romine is probably in the backend of the top 100 list around 85 to 100.

I'd run Cashman over with my car if he signs CJ Wilson. I do not want and I don't see how we could even sign him to fit within the budget. We're already at a 194 million payroll and Hal has a cap at 208, 212 if he signs off on extra money. Wilson's going to cost 18 to 20 million per as well and we need more than just him.

Man, baseball is just getting stupid. C.J. Wilson is not worth that much money at all.

They built new Yankee Stadium as close to old Yankee Stadium as they could, and old Yankee Stadium was generally pretty good to lefties because of the deep gap in LCF. There's the LF foul pole that's a bit of a pain, but you really have to hook it to get it in there.

It's always seemed to me to be righties that struggle. Doesn't take much other than a quick flick of the hips/wrists for a LH to put one into the upper deck in RF. A LHP can avoid that pretty well.

Sickels on Brackman, lol:

6) Andrew "The Scranton Horror" Brackman, RHP, Grade B-: 7.26 ERA with 58/69 K/BB in 76 innings for Scranton, 71 hits allowed. He is hounded by abominable, eldritch control problems, like insane flute music pulsating with a mind-bending disharmony of universal, ultimate chaos. Those who ruminate overmuch on the chthonic mysteries of Andrew Brackman's career put their sanity at risk, as their mental boundaries melt under the hideous assault of such an unspeakable waste of talent and money. Ia! Shub-Niggurath! Ia! Ia! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Walks!

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/8/5/23...pects-in-review

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
With the pen they had last year, if he were good enough, there would be a spot for him.

Yankees bullpen is pretty much set. Mo, Robertson, Soriano and Logan are all set. Wade was a nice find as well. Noesi should get a shot to start cause he's a lot better than Nova, so we'd need a long man but Brackman should really be a one inning pitcher. It's my guess they agreed to terms before they released him and he'll re-sign to a minor league deal after the Rule 5 draft. Cause if he didn't make it out of ST he'd have to pass through waivers.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...22089-230898792

In the first round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, the White Sox chose Jared Mitchell two picks before Mike Trout. Two years later, Trout is considered the top prospect in baseball, while Mitchell is a long shot to ever be a factor. How can Kenny Williams and his scouts explain this huge mistake?

-- John, Chicago

Almost every Draft has an after-the-fact example pointing out a potential misstep. The White Sox took catcher Kurt Brown fifth overall in the 1985 Draft, and the Pirates grabbed a player named Barry Bonds sixth. Joey Cora was taken 23rd overall in that same Draft, for the record.

The 1989 Draft featured Chicago prep sensation Jeff Jackson going to the Phillies with pick No. 4. A fairly decent hitter named Frank Thomas went to the White Sox three picks later.

I'm careful to use the phrase "potential mistake" for this situation because Mitchell still should become a significant Major League contributor. To write him off at this point simply is unfair. Mitchell came into the organization with a little less baseball experience than other picks, having split time at LSU between his chosen sport and football. After a strong abbreviated debut in 2009 with Class A Kannapolis, Mitchell missed all of 2010 after tearing a tendon in his left ankle during a Cactus League game. He had more downs than ups in 2011 with Class A Winston-Salem, finishing with a .222 average and 183 strikeouts in 477 at-bats, although he did drive in 58 and score 74.

Have a question about the White Sox?

Scott MerkinE-mail your query to MLB.com White Sox beat reporter Scott Merkin for possible inclusion in a future Inbox column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content.

First Name, Last Initial:

Hometown:

Email Address:

Question:

The 2012 campaign is when Mitchell will need to take a major step forward, and in keeping with that theme, Minor League director Buddy Bell told me that nobody was more impressive than Mitchell during recently completed instructional league action. The White Sox still believe that they have a solid outfield of the future, to be made up of such players as Mitchell, Trayce Thompson, Keenyn Walker, Dayan Viciedo and Jordan Danks.

What are the plans for Brent Lillibridge? It seems to me like he is always making fabulous defensive plays. Any chance he is a regular this year?

-- Nick, Mayville, N.Y.

Lillibridge wants to be an everyday player. Lillibridge believes he can be an everyday player. But the good thing for the 28-year-old veteran is that he gained a greater understanding of how to thrive in a super-sub role last year.

I suspect that if Alejandro De Aza becomes the team's third outfielder and starting leadoff man, Lillibridge will be used liberally against left-handed pitchers. Remember, Lillibridge also told me last year that he still feels as if he can contribute in the infield, which would be a major plus if the White Sox go young at the utility spot.

And congratulations to Brent and his wife, Stephanie, on the birth of their first son.

Where do you see De Aza in the mix? He seems like the perfect leadoff man, and showed signs of it last season.

-- Dan, Oak Lawn, Ill.

I heard from quite a few of you last week when I listed my outfield as Viciedo, Alex Rios and Carlos Quentin and left out De Aza. It wasn't meant as anything against De Aza, who was a force both at the plate and in the field since debuting with a game-winning two-run homer on July 27 against the Tigers.

All I was saying is that the White Sox might not have the prototype leadoff hitter. But De Aza, whom the White Sox really have liked since they picked him up in October 2009, certainly will be in the picture for major playing time.

Is there any chance of Jim Thome or Frank Thomas becoming coaches in the future?

-- John, Knox, Ind.

There's a chance that both could become coaches in the White Sox organization, especially with their wealth of knowledge in the area of hitting. But I still expect Jeff Manto to be named the next hitting coach, with Thome playing another season.

Do Adam Dunn and Rios get a position, or earn one?

-- Bill, Sylvania, Ohio

Barring any surprising offseason moves, Dunn opens 2012 as the designated hitter, and Rios starts somewhere in the outfield. They certainly won't be pulled out of action if, let's say, their Spring Training numbers aren't great or if they struggle in April. But with more options and a bit more roster flexibility this year, I believe fans won't see any player struggling for the season's entirety without a change.

Early in 2011, I said that A.J. Pierzynski would be the disappointment of the year. I was way off base! Do you think A.J. will last through the year or be traded midway? I am a big fan of the kid catchers.

-- Nick, Justice, Ill.

It's true that the White Sox are as deep at catcher as they have been in years, and a valuable player such as Pierzynski would bring back a good return. But Pierzynski has worked hard to earn no-trade veto power, which means a move only takes place if he approves.

Look for another good year on the South Side for Pierzynski, who was on a run with the bat in 2011 before fracturing his left wrist on Aug. 12 and playing hurt the rest of the way. The non-waiver Trade Deadline could be a busy time for the White Sox, though, if they get off to another slow start.

If -- and I hope this isn't the case -- Mark Buehrle leaves and heads to another team via free agency, do the White Sox retire his number now (like they did with Harold Baines) or wait until he finishes his career?

-- Matt, Des Moines, Iowa

Buehrle would be a candidate for a jersey retirement and concourse statue as arguably the most important pitcher in White Sox history. I don't envision those honors happening until after he retires.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
They built new Yankee Stadium as close to old Yankee Stadium as they could, and old Yankee Stadium was generally pretty good to lefties because of the deep gap in LCF. There's the LF foul pole that's a bit of a pain, but you really have to hook it to get it in there.

It's always seemed to me to be righties that struggle. Doesn't take much other than a quick flick of the hips/wrists for a LH to put one into the upper deck in RF. A LHP can avoid that pretty well.

One would think since lefties generally hit righthanded pitchers better, that it would indeed be righthanded pitchers that struggle more, not lefties. In particular, lefthanded batters have a .560 OPS off CJ for his career.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
Green?

No, no green. The consensus here is that the sox will have to kick in 3 million dollars to even make a team interested. I haven't seen anyone else arguing with that consensus but me, but I could have easily missed posts.

Yes I know its merkin. But at least someone agrees with me.

Edited by MAX

The only team I could see that would be legitimately interested in AJ Pierzynski as a starter is Pittsburgh, and that's if they think their first 4 months weren't an aberration and their final 2 months were. They're losing both of their decent catchers in Doumit (if you can even call him a catcher) and Snyder and even though I'm pretty sure they have a good catching prospect on the way, he's not there yet. You might get a pitching prospect from them, but more likely, they'll scrounge the free agents and pick up someone like Ramon Hernandez to try and catch lightning in a bottle.

I could list the reasons why all of those teams wouldn't want AJ, but that seems time consuming and unnecessary.

The best time to trade AJ would be at next year's deadline if the team is out of it and there is a team who needs a catcher due to injury.