2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

Frank Thomas contributes this rumor: Mark Buehrle will follow Ozzie to Florida. That would be great for #marlins, awful for #whitesox.

27 minutes ago

I don't see JR letting that happen, if the money is the same and Buehrle goes to Florida then it is on him...........I think Buehrle stays or there would have been more trade chatter this year.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 23, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
Get the crystal ball out. Can Flowers be a jr. Napoli perhaps?

Well, Napoli has been very good but has never played a full season, so that's a down notch on him. The closest he came, he struck out 137 times in 453 at bats last year, hitting .238 on the full season, .784 OPS. Flowers certainly has the ability to put up those sort of numbers...hell, he could actually outdo that on the power numbers based on what I saw...but the key is making contact. A full year, he might blow past that number of strikeouts, and that could leave him as a .190 hitter, which would be unacceptable even with his power.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Oct 23, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't see JR letting that happen, if the money is the same and Buehrle goes to Florida then it is on him...........I think Buehrle stays or there would have been more trade chatter this year.

Buehrle probably wants to go to the NL. His career would be extended if he went to Florida.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Buehrle probably wants to go to the NL. His career would be extended if he went to Florida.

Mark Buehrle so far in his public comments has shown absolutely no interest in "extending his career by making things easier." Dude's been talking about retiring for 5 years.

I was a KW backer over Ozzie for the 2011 offseason and was pumped when Ozzie quit....until this SHAM of a managerial search with KW pulling a guy who had no interest in managing a team so soon to lead the team when better options were (and still are) out there. I want him to follow Ozzie out the door.

I made it a point to try and not be so negative and pessimistic before the 2011 season cause I felt like I wasn't enjoying my favorite team/sport, but man did the 2011 season just suck that out of me, and the managerial choice for 2012 just made it soooooo much worse. Nothing short of Kenny signing Pujols (read NOTHING AT ALL) will make me excited for the 2012 season and I HATE it.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
I was a KW backer over Ozzie for the 2011 offseason and was pumped when Ozzie quit....until this SHAM of a managerial search with KW pulling a guy who had no interest in managing a team so soon to lead the team when better options were (and still are) out there. I want him to follow Ozzie out the door.

I made it a point to try and not be so negative and pessimistic before the 2011 season cause I felt like I wasn't enjoying my favorite team/sport, but man did the 2011 season just suck that out of me, and the managerial choice for 2012 just made it soooooo much worse. Nothing short of Kenny signing Pujols (read NOTHING AT ALL) will make me excited for the 2012 season and I HATE it.

A couple good trades will make me excited (Danks/CQ). My expectations are so low for next year that if they DO actually win some games (very possible with some bouncebacks) it will be a pleasant surprise instead of the status quo. When they lose, I can be excited about the prospects instead of devastated at the disappointment.

Give it a month, it'll be alright.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)

Where are you getting the bolded from? If he didn't want to do it, he wouldn't have taken the job.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Didn't he say himself that he had to be talked into it, then had to go talk his family into it?

Bingo.

If Robin Ventura had interest in managing at any point in his life, he would have spent the last few years searching for a minor league gig in any capacity. With the Sox or Mets, Hell even Oklahoma St.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)

Let's face it, we all love Robin Ventura and would love nothing better than to win and win big next season, but this managerial choice was a total joke.

A farce.

Who knows why KW did it? For attendance? Managers can get a team headlines if they say bizarre stuff, but I doubt the mere presence of Robin will draw fans. Maybe it'll prevent almost all the season tix holders from dumping their season tickets, though. It's a nice gesture, but a farce of a transaction.

Maybe they did figure almost all season tix holders would at least renew cause of the likeable Robin managing the team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
What was the DVD of the Sox World Series that was narrated by Michael Clarke Duncan? I have my Sox Pride DVD and the set of all of the World Series games, but I'm not sure where that one is.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw...sa=N&tab=wf

The second one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Let's face it, we all love Robin Ventura and would love nothing better than to win and win big next season, but this managerial choice was a total joke.

A farce.

Who knows why KW did it? For attendance? Managers can get a team headlines if they say bizarre stuff, but I doubt the mere presence of Robin will draw fans. Maybe it'll prevent almost all the season tix holders from dumping their season tickets, though. It's a nice gesture, but a farce of a transaction.

Maybe they did figure almost all season tix holders would at least renew cause of the likeable Robin managing the team.

Definitely. They should have kept Ozzie. He is so funny. lol!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
What was the DVD of the Sox World Series that was narrated by Michael Clarke Duncan? I have my Sox Pride DVD and the set of all of the World Series games, but I'm not sure where that one is.

Holy f*** that is him. I always knew that voice sounded so familiar but couldn't figure it out.

Goosebumps every single time.