Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
This organization is a f***ing joke. Why can't JR sell his stakes.

Yup, I'm not even sure I want to watch next year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
This is like something a fan would think up.

Exactly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

KW: “I wanted someone who met very specific criteria centered around his leadership abilities. Robin Ventura was that man. "

Let me phrase it correctly: We wanted to hire someone on the cheap while also getting the attention of the masses of ignorant fans by bringing back a player they used to like.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
Screw experience if he knows the game. Plenty of experienced managers make the same ass-headed moves game in and game out.

That's how I feel. It's a f***in joke on paper BUT I'll wait and see since I literally know nothing about him as a manager.

Man I really cant believe that people are negative on this move. Most people have assumed that Robin would be a hot coaching option as soon as he decided that he wanted to coach. The fact that the Sox were actually able to convince him to coach is pretty impressive.

Im not sure what experience has to do with coaching baseball. This isnt football where you call plays, its baseball and Im pretty sure that I could program a computer to make better decisions than Ozzie.

"IF A stats against LHP > B stats against LHP replace B with A."

Robin is exactly the opposite of Ozzie, which is exactly what this team needs. This is one of the few hires that Id actually be interested in.

It really isnt difficult to be a baseball manager, and its almost impossible to be worse than Ozzie "I make the line ups" Guillen.

Okay, i seem to remember the yanks wanted to retain him as a coach, but he wanted to spend time with his kids. Does anyone else remember an interview like that? Obviously it doesn't mean you hand him THE KEYS TO THE DAMN TEAM but i'm trying to be constructive.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
Let me phrase it correctly: We wanted to hire someone on the cheap while also getting the attention of the masses of ignorant fans by bringing back a player they used to like.

There's no way this will "Get the attention of the ignorant masses of fans".

Unless you mean because they realize that the people paying attention are shockingly pissed off.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
Okay, i seem to remember the yanks wanted to retain him as a coach, but he wanted to spend time with his kids. Does anyone else remember an interview like that? Obviously it doesn't mean you hand him THE KEYS TO THE DAMN TEAM but i'm trying to be constructive.

Yes, he's used the "Wanted to spend time with his kids" line many times as a reason to not get too involved.