2011 World Series Thread

Milkman delivers

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 06:15 AM)
It makes me sick to see a team with Nick freaking Punto in its starting lineup one game away from a WS win.

Ever team has some bad players on it, though.

When we beat Houston, didn't they start Everett at ss?

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 11:52 PM)
Was I the only one that would have walked Albert and Lance in the 10th? I know it goes against pretty much everything but I wouldn't have even thought twice about it, would have walked them both.

In a video game you might try that. Real-life, no f***ing way. You're not letting a single lose the game for you.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
I didnt know Brian Kenny left ESPN to join MLB Network.

It was a good career move for me.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
So my buddy just showed me his gambling ticket from September 12th when he put 10 dollars on the Cards to win it all...

I may drive to Vegas and put all my savings on the Cardinals and Carpenter. I should have done it for game 7 cubs/marlins 03 when I had no doubt then, I don't see this being any different.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
In a video game you might try that. Real-life, no f***ing way. You're not letting a single lose the game for you.

It was a good career move for me.

And against all odds I would have done it anyway. I'll take my chances with Allen Craig over Albert and Lance in that situation.

You're a funny guy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
And we had Widger, Timo, Hermanson, etc.

Those first two were role players. Hermanson doesn't belong on the list. He was a serviceable starter and could have been a decent reliever.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
So my buddy just showed me his gambling ticket from September 12th when he put 10 dollars on the Cards to win it all...

I've mentioned this a few times now...the books here have a ton of exposure on the Cardinals because their odds were so ridiculous at the beginning of Sept. There's some guy from St Louis who put $250 on the Cardinals to win both the NL and the WS. The NL was 500-1. He already cashed $125k there. The WS was 999-1.

I think there are a ton of people who put between $10-100 on the Cards in the beginning of Sept when the odds were that long though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
I've mentioned this a few times now...the books here have a ton of exposure on the Cardinals because their odds were so ridiculous at the beginning of Sept. There's some guy from St Louis who put $250 on the Cardinals to win both the NL and the WS. The NL was 500-1. He already cashed $125k there. The WS was 999-1.

I think there are a ton of people who put between $10-100 on the Cards in the beginning of Sept when the odds were that long though.

Well where the hell were you to tell me this back than?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)

Holy f***. I couldn't imagine watching a game knowing $250K is on the line.

If only the Rangers had signed Jermaine Dye as a RF defensive replacement because he makes extraordinary plays that most players look easy, the Rangers would have won the World Series with the most clutch catch of all time.

If you didn't understand what I was implying, I'm suggesting that Jermaine Dye would have made that catch. Pretty easily too.

Nerves got the best of Cruz because he was too afraid that he was going to overrun that ball when it turned out he was actually short. A RF who makes good reads on balls makes that catch. Thus, Jermaine Dye makes that catch.

---

My dad, an avid Twins fan, said that Freese is like Puckett. There are quite a few differences, namely Freese not saying before game 6 "jump on my back and I'll carry you home" or something to that extent. And he is quite clearly not the best player on the entire Cardinals team. But when the time came, he was there at all points. Oh, and he's got that whole "20th anniversary of 'The Call'" (and yes, I'm sure there are other times where 'The Call' is appropriate, but that Puckett game takes the cake in my mind) going for him too.

Oh, and to anybody who dislikes Joe Buck using "The Call"...you suck. That was an incredible moment and there was nothing better that could have been said, Cardinals homer (Buck, not Freese) or not. If he had been typical Joe Buck, he would have said "and a long drive to center and this one is gone and the cardinals win."

Yeah, I'll take the tribute to his father.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 07:12 AM)
Sucks that one team has to lose. I really hope for a well played game where one team goes out and wins it, no scapegoats, no errors, no fluky crap or bad calls.

Good luck with that. I think every game in this series has had at least one of those happen. It hasn't been the prettiest series, but it's been damn exciting.