2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
At first, it'll be hard to enforce this policy- but 2 WS titles and a string of 95+ win seasons will speak loudly. He'll drive the alcoholism out of his players faster than any 12 step program could dream of.

Except for the fact that his WS teams in Boston seemed to be drunk 24-7.

The more I read about Theo, the more he sounds like a giant turd, and I hope he fails miserably.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
Theo is going to try to enforce a no-partying/no late nights rule on the Cubs.

that actually HELPS the cubs! ask Mark Grace, whose job, aside from playing "baseball", was to get the opposing teams hungover for the day games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 07:18 AM)
Except for the fact that his WS teams in Boston seemed to be drunk 24-7.

The more I read about Theo, the more he sounds like a giant turd, and I hope he fails miserably.

And I as well. It's always fun to buy a ticket two hours before gametime for less than the price of beer at the park. Planning on Phillies and Marlins so far.

I don't recall exact amounts, but when I caught the Phillies at Wrigley, the price of admission was comically lower than when what I paid for Phillies/Brewers at Miller Park. Kane County Cougers seats were probably more expensive that some of the Stubhub listings for Wrigley. I'm not someone who despises the Cubs just because I'm a Sox fan, but I'll be rooting against them in order to ensure the fine selection of $3 tickets remains.

I will not include the ad directly, but it's at the link. Sickening.

Forget Kate Upton and her finger mechanics. The new baseball video game commercial guaranteed to cause the most shortness of breath and uncontrolled blubbering from yours truly is this offering from Sony's MLB 12: The Show. Do not adjust your monitors, this clip really shows what the streets of Chicago would look like if the Cubs won the World Series.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Paul Sullivan @PWSullivan

Cubs send Chris Carpenter to Red Sox for compensation, according to Cubs source.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Did the Cubs ever actually give anything up for Theo or is that just going away?

I'm know I'm late (probably LAST) to the party. But thinking about the Cubs futility (and giggling about it) I realized that the Cubs have never won a World Series while playing at Wrigley Field. Every playoff series they've ever played while having home games at Wrigley they've been eliminated.

That kinda feeds more to the theory that Wrigley is a contributing to the Cubs futility. So my question after trying to find this info on B-R.com, is what is the Cubs' all time home record at Wrigley Field?

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm know I'm late (probably LAST) to the party. But thinking about the Cubs futility (and giggling about it) I realized that the Cubs have never won a World Series while playing at Wrigley Field. Every playoff series they've ever played while having home games at Wrigley they've been eliminated.

Funnier still when you think that while the Cubs have not, two other Chicago teams have played in Wrigley while reigning as champions: The Bears and your Chicago White Sox. Its a shame the Winter Classic there wasn't in 2011.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)

That kinda feeds more to the theory that Wrigley is a contributing to the Cubs futility. So my question after trying to find this info on B-R.com, is what is the Cubs' all time home record at Wrigley Field?

You must have missed the running joke in 2006 then.

What's the difference between the Cardinals and the Cubs?

The Cardinals have won a World Series in their new stadium.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
LOL, remember all those people complaining about how the Cubs got a MLB starter in Wood while we got Molina.

I still think he has a better chance of being a decent MLB starter than Molina.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I still think he has a better chance of being a decent MLB starter than Molina.

Meh, time will tell, but currently he lost a job to a couple of very mediocre pitchers (Jeff Samardzija had a decent year last year, but didn't start at all).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
Meh, time will tell, but currently he lost a job to a couple of very mediocre pitchers (Jeff Samardzija had a decent year last year, but didn't start at all).

They were never going to not put Volstad in the rotation and look like they gave up Zambrano for nothing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
They were never going to not put Volstad in the rotation and look like they gave up Zambrano for nothing.

Good point, but I think spring training performance played a large part in it too. Wood was absolutely awful, I think his ERA was in the 16-17 range.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/cubs..._medium=twitter

Cubs, Red Sox Finalize Epstein Compensation

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 29, 2012 at 1:12pm CST]

After a months-long wait, the Cubs and Red Sox have finalized the compensation for Theo Epstein. The Red Sox sent 19-year-old prospect Jair Bogaerts to the Cubs to complete the deal, MLB.com's Carrie Muskat reports.

The Cubs sent relievers Chris Carpenter and Aaron Kurcz to Boston as compensation for Epstein earlier in the offseason. Carpenter will undergo elbow surgery, but the Cubs say the operation wasn't caused by a pre-existing condition. “It’s certainly something we had no knowledge of,” GM Jed Hoyer said, according to Muskat. “I don’t think he had any elbow issues for the last two years. It’s unexpected and unfortunate."

Bogaerts completed his second pro season in 2011. The first baseman posted a .288/.387/.404 line in 186 plate appearances in the Dominican Summer League. He is the brother of top Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts.

This will never be done, will it?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...p;position=also

FORT MYERS — The never-ending Theo Epstein compensation talks still have not ended.

Puzzled by the timing of the injury and yesterday’s surgery on the right elbow of reliever Chris Carpenter, the main chip the Red Sox [team stats] received in a deal with the Cubs that included three players and one executive, the Sox said yesterday they do not consider the talks officially over.

The club is weighing its options about what to do next, said a Red Sox source.

This raises the specter that the Red Sox possibly believe Carpenter was injured when he was traded to them on Feb. 21.

A baseball source indicated the teams agree there was no intent or prior knowledge by the Cubs that misled the Red Sox about Carpenter’s condition.

After prolonged talks this winter, Carpenter and right-handed reliever Aaron Kurcz were sent to the Red Sox in exchange for Epstein and a player to be named later. Yesterday, the Red Sox announced Jair Bogaerts was the player they were sending to Chicago. The talks were believed to be over at that point.

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington had no comment about whether or not any loose ends remained with the talks.

Epstein declined to comment for the Cubs.

Carpenter appeared in just two games this spring and pitched poorly. On Wednesday, he tweeted that he would have surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow.

Yesterday, he tweeted that the surgery “went great.”

A baseball source said yesterday neither the Cubs nor the Red Sox knew Carpenter had bone chips at the start of spring training.

According to this source, Carpenter passed Chicago’s spring training entrance physical, pitched fine early in Cubs camp before the trade, his medical records passed the Red Sox’ medical review and he passed their entrance physical as well.

It is unclear when Carpenter will be able to throw again and if he will be able to throw this season.

The Red Sox finally allowed the Cubs permission to negotiate with and hire away Epstein because they believed they would receive “significant’’ compensation in return. The Sox definition of “significant” began with Chicago starter Matt Garza but they quickly lowered their standard until agreeing upon the 26-year-old Carpenter, who appeared in 10 games last season and was a third-round draft pick by the Cubs in 2008.

-— michael.silverman@bostonherald.com

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
So, randy Wells, guy who in 2009 put up a 3.05 ERA, in 2010 put up a 4.26 ERA, winds up at Iowa. That's gotta sting.

I'm sure his $2.6 million salary that he still earns in Iowa will help ease the sting a little bit.