Penn State horror story

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
I kinda agree with what both of you are saying. He's looking at the impact that this will have on a whole community that has strong ties to PSU and Paterno in particular, but he's probably being a little overdramatic and anyone who has so much of their identity wrapped up in a football team might want to take a step back.

Btw, the title of the article is Growing Up Penn State: The end of everything at State College.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
I want to know why this McQueary guy is getting such a pass. The guy (28 yrs old at the time, so not exactly a kid) walked in on a rape and did nothing but call his coach. How on earth do you not make a scene and try and protect the kid from that monster?

I'm 28. There would have been a beat-down and then the cops called immediately. F*ck chain of command.

I don't know how that's at all surprising, I don't think there is a stronger relationship between a coach and town as there is b/w Paterno and Happy Valley. I can't think of a more revered coach/town relationship, that article is pretty similar to things I've read about there even prior to this investigation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
Now they are saying it could be 20 victims. Wow.

knowing how long he worked for the Second Mile foundation and all the access to kids he had, it seems like a small number.

Sandusky also lives 1000 feet from a childrens school

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
Now they are saying it could be 20 victims. Wow.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
knowing how long he worked for the Second Mile foundation and all the access to kids he had, it seems like a small number.

This is so very terrible.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)

Do we have any details on this foundation? If there was anyone other than him involved, and he was doing this for years, then someone, some kid at least, would have said something to someone.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
Joe Pa must go and him coming outside his house saying we are Penn St. and the idiots cheering him is a sad state of affairs in this world!

I think the sad state of affairs is that anyone is concerned with Joe Paterno right now.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:54 AM)
Well, the Penn State students are a joke.

They flocked to Joe Pa's house and chanted "We love you Joe Pa" and all that.

Then they hit the streets.

Once again, the masses forget what this is about. Sickens me.

This.

Come on.

The grad student witnesses two people having sex, probably illegally (I don't know the victim's age)a rape of a minor and doesn't call police, he tells Paterno. Paterno doesn't call police, he reports to his boss (meets his legal responsibility). The University does some weak investigation, and the abuse continues.

At the time of this event, the guy was not employed by the University. He retired in 1999 and this happened in 2002.

Should the grad student resign from whatever job he has?

The system let these kids down and there should be a lesson to call the police. I believe Paterno will step down falling on his sword, but based on what I have read so far, I do not believe he should be held responsible. Now, as more comes out that may all change.

Edited by Tex
Just read the kid was only 10

The grad student witnesses two people having sex, probably illegally (I don't know the victim's age)a rape of a minor and doesn't call police, he tells Paterno. Paterno doesn't call police, he reports to his boss (meets his legal responsibility). The University does some weak investigation, and the abuse continues.

At the time of this event, the guy was not employed by the University. He retired in 1999 and this happened in 2002.

Should the grad student resign from whatever job he has?

The system let these kids down and there should be a lesson to call the police. I believe Paterno will step down falling on his sword, but based on what I have read so far, I do not believe he should be held responsible. Now, as more comes out that may all change.

The grad student is now a full-time coach at PSU, and yes, he should resign. Not only did he not call the police, he didn't try to stop what was happening. If I see you raping a minor, you're going to have to knock me unconscious before you're going to be able to finish.

We don't know if they stopped and ran off, or what. But yeah, I would be punching and kicking the guy and if there was anything left the cops could have him.

The heirarchy of blame that I always seem to settle with in these situations

The perpetrator

People with first hand knowledge (witnesses) (Grad Student)

People with second hand knowledge (they were told something) (Paterno)

In rare cases, the victims also get some blame. (doesn't apply here)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 01:09 AM)
This.

Agreed, and that's part of the reason I hate these "OMG I loved Penn State but now I can't" articles circulating the web. That's issue number 10 on the list of what people should be focused on, the first being the kids and their families.

Btw, who wants to bet me that the kid in the shower is a current Penn State player and/or student? Sandusky was known to get his "kids" onto the team.