Danks and Floyd drawing interest

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
You have to be at least a middle-aged man. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how you still can't get how this works. You're not a pre-teen playing Xbox. In real life, teams don't take Adam Dunn after batting .159 for an entire season with three years and $42 million remaining on his contract just because you turn off the intelligent trade option. I seriously don't get how you constantly say things as simple (not as in "easy to understand", but rather "moronic") as this.

+1 to this. Everyone please stop acting like KW is intentionally punishing the fans by keeping the players you hate instead of just trading them for better players that you like. He is under pressure to cut payroll, so he has to trade some people. No one wants the highly paid bad players, so he has to move the highly paid good players.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...2230,full.story

By Mark Gonzales Tribune reporter

5:55 p.m. CST, November 17, 2011

John Danks is third in strikeouts and fourth in victories among American League left-handers since 2008.

Teammate Gavin Floyd has made 30 or more starts for four consecutive seasons and is the first White Sox pitcher to strike out at least 145 batters in four straight seasons since Jack McDowell did from 1990-93.

But one of general manager Ken Williams’ toughest decisions this off-season is deciding whether to trade either or both pitchers, or wait until mid-season or possibly longer.

As the annual general managers’ meetings ended Thursday in Milwaukee, several major league sources confirmed that Williams remained adamant about receiving high-ceiling major league talent in return for any deal involving his core players and hinted the Sox could go younger in their rotation.

That rotation already includes Chris Sale, 22, who will make the transition from the bullpen. But 2012 could be the final year with the Sox for Jake Peavy, who has a $22 million club option for 2013. And free agent Mark Buehrle likely will be lost to free agency in a few weeks.

The following are the issues surrounding Danks and Floyd:

Danks

The Sox could end some suspense by signing Danks, 26, to a multi-year contract. Danks will get a healthy raise from his $6 million salary, but a rebound season in 2012 could making him destined for greater riches should he become a free agent in 2013.

If Buehrle departs, the Sox desperately will need a frontline starting pitcher. Before starting 0-8 with a 5.25 ERA in 2011, Danks was a virtual lock to become the ace of the rotation. Danks bounced back with a 6-1 record and 2.03 ERA in his next 11 starts.

The latter mark is one reason why Williams is seeking a high return should he trade Danks. Brian Cashman, one of Williams’ closest friends in the GM ranks, has resisted dealing pitchers Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances cq and catcher Jesus Montero anywhere since last winter.

Atlanta’s has a deep cast of young talented pitchers, but the Braves appear to be looking more for a right-handed power hitter.

Cincinnati and Texas, however, are deep with pitching and position player prospects that could satisfy the Sox.

Floyd

One National League scout that follows the Sox closely said they should deal Floyd because his results haven’t matched his potential.

“He nibbles when he should be attacking,” the scout said last week.

One factor that should attract teams is that Floyd, 28, is signed for 2012 with a $9.5 million team option for 2013. He also stayed off the disabled list for the first time in three seasons and hasn’t lost any velocity in addition to a big curve.

The return on a Floyd trade might not be as great as for Danks, but the Sox could clear some salary and create more flexibility as they last July when they traded Edwin Jackson and Mark Teahen for reliever Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart – who will compete for a spot in the rotation.

mgonzales@tribune.com

The Yankees like John Danks and the White Sox like many Yankees prospects, particularly Austin Romine. However, Danks is a free agent after 2012 and the Yankees are reluctant to over-spend on a pitcher they’ll have for just one year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/sher...r-pitching.html

I'd give up Romine for Danks, we've got the catching depth right now so that move wouldn't hurt us. Cervelli can be the back up and Montero the third catcher to Martin. Yankees will likely have JR Murphy in Trenton and top prospect Gary Sanchez in Tampa. Just will need to sign a vet backup for Triple-A.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
I know you're being sarcastic but I think maybe what you could get is Betances and some lower guys.

I hope is not being sarcastic anyway. If the Yankees want Danks, you sure as hell ask for their top guys. Look at it this way. They can have Danks for next year while giving up prospects, or they can go 5-6 years and $100m+ for Wilson.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
I hope is not being sarcastic anyway. If the Yankees want Danks, you sure as hell ask for their top guys. Look at it this way. They can have Danks for next year while giving up prospects, or they can go 5-6 years and $100m+ for Wilson.

And then go 5-6 years and $80 million for Danks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)

You aren't going to get Montero or Banuelos for Danks...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
Then again the Red Sox always need pitching too...

The sox don't have anyone in their farm system that rivals Montero or Banuelos... So if you want a lesser prospect then by all means. If you want to get me or well Cashman going then mention the Rangers. Anyway Cashman doesn't make panic moves, he's shown he is in full control. We didn't make a move the past two deadlines and again last off season we went into the season with Garcia and Colon in our rotation. Our rotation right now is in a lot better shape than it was last year so...

Edited by TheHugeUnit

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Ah yes. Gotta love overhyped untouchable Yankees prospects. So many of them wind up being solid contributors in the Major Leagues.

Clippard, Melancon, Tabata, Coke, Jackson, Kennedy, Vizcaino, Dunn, Cabrera, Fryer(pushing it with him I know), the only trade that in the past 4 years where we didn't give up someone of value was to you for Swisher...

Not to mention Gardner, Robertson, Nova, Cervelli and Noesi.

I forgot about Karstens who is a solid 5th pitcher in the NL. That's just off the top of my head too, there might be one or two more guys. John Axford as well.

Edited by TheHugeUnit

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
The sox don't have anyone in their farm system that rivals Montero or Banuelos... So if you want a lesser prospect then by all means. If you want to get me or well Cashman going then mention the Rangers. Anyway Cashman doesn't make panic moves, he's shown he is in full control. We didn't make a move the past two deadlines and again last off season we went into the season with Garcia and Colon in our rotation. Our rotation right now is in a lot better shape than it was last year so...

Reddick, Middlebrooks, Lavarnway.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
I know you're being sarcastic but I think maybe what you could get is Betances and some lower guys.

Oh I was just bringing the actual names of who Kenny would start out asking for into the thread...No idea what the Yankees would be willing to do...or how far Kenny would be willing to go to get certain guys. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities to trade both Danks and Floyd together to the Yankeees, and if that was the case, I don't think anyone is out of the conversation.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)

And yet he is still throwing around ridiculous free agent money. :bang

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
I'd rather have Sanchez than Romine. Don't understand the fascination with him.

Ah someone who knows a bit about prospects. I agree, I don't like Romine, probably why I'd do a deal with him in it... haha. Sanchez got a bad wrap on him cause he left the team after going through a rough patch, but he's 18 considered to be even better than Montero was at that age and is a millionaire. I'd have attitude problems too if I was in his shoes.

Not starting another thread yet, but if the Sox were to try to sign Danks to a multi-year contract now (if they were resigned to the fact that Buehrle was gone), what sort of contract gets it done? He's young and has shown that he COULD be an ace. Could the Sox even afford him at this point?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
Not starting another thread yet, but if the Sox were to try to sign Danks to a multi-year contract now (if they were resigned to the fact that Buehrle was gone), what sort of contract gets it done? He's young and has shown that he COULD be an ace. Could the Sox even afford him at this point?

The Sox have Peavy's contract coming off of the books after this season. In theory, it is possible to offer him a good chunk of that money. I have still yet to be convinced that Danks wants to resign here though.