What is your favorite Ventura moment?

southsider2k5

Ventura poll  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Robin Ventura memory?

• Walk-off Grand Slam against Goose Gossage
    • Charging the mound against Nolan Ryan
    • Walk off Grand Slam single with Mets
    • 58 game college hitting streak (ended by Jack McDowell in College WS)
    • Game winning RBI in return game after broken ankle
    • Other, please post!

Some great Sox teams in the early 1990s...I wonder if the strike year coulda been the Sox year. I seem to remember we were in the mix and the team was coming together. I think may have had 3 best record in the majors when the strike happened, not sure...I do know that was a damn good team.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)

A couple of observations from that video:

1) Dude stood way off the plate. I think the game's changed in that respect. Batters cover the plate more now.

2) It's amazing how little Hawk's calls have changed since then. Except he didn't sound like he was likely to die just then.

3) If that happened today, they would have cut to commercial WAAAAY too early and a lot of the power of the moment would have been lost. Stupid commercials.

Also, that was awesome. I wasn't a Sox fan yet; I wish I was, after seeing that.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
The Walk Off granny off of Goose. I was at the game. I remember walking out of the stadium and it was rocking. The next time I witnessed the stadium rocking like that was during the 2005 playoffs.

I was there, too. We were in the rf bleachers not too far from where the ball landed. We brought my cousin from England to the game, and to that point I don't think he was too impressed with American crowds. He was used to singing and spontaneous cheers, etc. When Robin hit the GS, the crowd erupted and it was loud and sustained. My cousin was grinning from ear to ear. It's probably the best game I've witnessed in person.

Sweet box cut for Dan Jiggets in the post-game interview. Nothing makes a fat guy look slimmer than a square head.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
The Walk Off granny off of Goose. I was at the game. I remember walking out of the stadium and it was rocking. The next time I witnessed the stadium rocking like that was during the 2005 playoffs.

I feel like that there should be fairy tales involved somehow.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 26, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
OOOPS.

4 years off, for some reason remembered it as 1995....really should have remembered it was 91 because one of my best friends was studying at Northwestern, that's why he was in the city and went to so many Sox games...and unfortunately left that one too early.

Yeah, that '95 team sucked balls. Started 0-9 or 0-11, or something like that. Then they signed John Kruk to help solve the problem and he retired in the middle of a game to preserve his lifetime .300 average. It was never even a contest as Cleveland won 100 games in a strike shortened season en route to their first pennant in decades. The '94 team was the best Sox team I can recall, though. So sad what the strike did to that franchise.