Packages that would net us a haul

Jerksticks

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
Not sure I'll ever truly understand the love Brett Gardner gets from some people.

I totally understand the love, take a look at his stats, especially OBP. Would fit in well with our needs last year.

Problem is, he's about to start getting much more expensive by hitting arbitration, and we have a guy who with some luck might be able to give us something similar in De Aza for much less cost.

Bringing back an MLB-ready OF is a mistake. We have too many guys who should get playing time at those spots right now

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally understand the love, take a look at his stats, especially OBP. Would fit in well with our needs last year.

Problem is, he's about to start getting much more expensive by hitting arbitration, and we have a guy who with some luck might be able to give us something similar in De Aza for much less cost.

Bringing back an MLB-ready OF is a mistake. We have too many guys who should get playing time at those spots right now

What I've been wondering is if the Yankees are desperate enough to get their hands on Danks that they'd take Rios with him. Danks + Rios for Gardner straight up is a deal I think I'd do in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
What I've been wondering is if the Yankees are desperate enough to get their hands on Danks that they'd take Rios with him. Danks + Rios for Gardner straight up is a deal I think I'd do in a heartbeat.

And Rios' contract isn't that bad for a team like the Yankees. $12 million a year isn't the worst thing out there, but it's probably the fact that he still has three years left that holds back trading him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)

That would be outstanding for the Sox. Get riod of Rios contract & get a young, quality player for Danks before he leaves as a FA.

My big concern for the Yankees side is that I doubt the pressure of NYC would help Rios bounce back at all. It could make him bat worse.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
Packaging our better players all into one trade doesn't make any sense to me. Sparks some comments for sure, but why put all your eggs in one basket?

:lol:

I'm the only one who proposed that. And I'd take that deal, but the Red Sox would die laughing.

Rockies would salivate over Danks, and they have several players who would really help the White Sox. I would love to see a big trade between these two teams, given that they have the worst GM's in MLB. This is the only way Kenny would have a level playing field in trade discussions.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Rockies would salivate over Danks, and they have several players who would really help the White Sox. I would love to see a big trade between these two teams, given that they have the worst GM's in MLB. This is the only way Kenny would have a level playing field in trade discussions.

Who would we target on the Rockies? I'm not familiar with their farm

I like Danks to the Reds idea. How about Danks to the Reds for Alonso and Homer Bailey. The Reds rotation of Danks, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez(when he gets back), and Leake makes Bailey's more expendable.Not to mention they have also have Travis Wood. KW likes both guys. The Sox may have to throw in something but this trade seems feasable. Alonso the can play OF with DeAza and Viciedo. Quentin could be dealt to Atlanta for Beachy and give their rotation 3 young arms in Beachy, Sale, and Bailey to go along with Peavy and Floyd. The Reds could also use a guy like Thornton as they really missed the role Arthur Rhodes filled for them. Why not make it a big deal and get Grandal as well? I guess alot of that depends on what kind of future the Sox think Flowers actually has.

Edited by Lemon_44

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
I like Danks to the Reds idea. How about Danks to the Reds for Alonso and Homer Bailey. The Reds rotation of Danks, Arroyo, Cueto, Volquez(when he gets back), and Leake makes Bailey's more expendable.Not to mention they have also have Travis Wood. KW likes both guys. The Sox may have to throw in something but this trade seems feasable. Alonso the can play OF with DeAza and Viciedo. Quentin could be dealt to Atlanta for Beachy and give their rotation 3 young arms in Beachy, Sale, and Bailey to go along with Peavy and Floyd. The Reds could also use a guy like Thornton as they really missed the role Arthur Rhodes filled for them. Why not make it a big deal and get Grandal as well? I guess alot of that depends on what kind of future the Sox think Flowers actually has.

I don't think you are going to get Bailey, Alonso, and Grandal for Danks and Thornton, I'm sorry, you just won't.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't think you are going to get Bailey, Alonso, and Grandal for Danks and Thornton, I'm sorry, you just won't.

Yeah, I think you go for Grandal instead of Alonso in that scenario, not Grandal PLUS Alonso.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)

I very much doubt Atlanta would trade Beachy for CQ. I'd love it if that happened though.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Yeah, I think you go for Grandal instead of Alonso in that scenario, not Grandal PLUS Alonso.

You sure has heck try for the both of them. Cincy has to be reading between the lines at the Cards potentially losing Pujols, and the Brewers Fielder, and thinking this might be their chance.

QUOTE (MindGame2004 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
You keep Santos.

At this point Quentin, Danks, Floyd and Thornton should all be on the table for position talent. Kenny is far too pitcher happy, so I suspect that's what they'll be going for.

There is nothing wrong with taking young pitching if it's available. Young starting pitching is the single most valuable commodity in baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
An everyday player for a getting-expensive closer? Yes.

This is where Marty actually has a point. If you can deal a Santos for a cheap position player or SP with upside (Alonso definitely qualifies), you go for it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
I've been lusting over Gardner for a while now.

I want to see Danks for Gardner + prospect trade.

LOL. If we are trading Gardner I'd want more than just Danks coming back... Do you realize just how good Gardner is? The past two years Gardner has a better WAR than Curtis Granderson, Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Jose Reyes, and Prince Fielder to name a few. He was the 13th best positional player in baseball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
This is where Marty actually has a point. If you can deal a Santos for a cheap position player or SP with upside (Alonso definitely qualifies), you go for it.

I don't know Alonso that well, but he's a 1b right? I would really hate to deal for a guy that we have to move to RF because he's blocked by Konerko, only to find out that Alonso is blocked in RF by Viciedo.

In other words, he better be able to give me numbers that make it reasonable for me to send the Captain packing.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
LOL. If we are trading Gardner I'd want more than just Danks coming back... Do you realize just how good Gardner is? The past two years Gardner has a better WAR than Curtis Granderson, Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Jose Reyes, and Prince Fielder to name a few. He was the 13th best positional player in baseball.

Whoa. I like Gardner. But let's not get it twisted. A BIG bulk of his value comes from playing an outstanding LF. He's not better than any of the guys you named.