Pujols to LAAA

southsider2k5

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:40 AM)
JJStankevitz JJ Stankevitz

Damn. That really is. RT @ChrisSpurlock @JJStankevitz Yeah. He'll put in equal time in Cards/Angels uniforms. So weird.

Gotta imagine he'll go into the Hall with a Cardinals hat... but ask me again in 10 years haha

How can you say that right now?

I don't see them winning anything, maybe the division.. but no title. They did this with Hunter several years ago.. They forgot how they got the win the WS.

It wasn't buying players.

To match the Yankees results, they only need 1 WS title during the span of Albert's contract.

I don't mean historically like that. No team is going to catch the Yankees in any of our lifetimes IMO.

And.. to all.. Thoughts of Cards now going after Prince?

Edited by VictoryMC98

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
I don't see them winning anything, maybe the division.. but no title. They did this with Hunter several years ago.. They forgot how they got the win the WS.

It wasn't buying players.

I'd say buying players played a pivotal role in the Yankees '09 title. Don't get me wrong. I'm not handing the Angels anything. But that rotation, 1-4, is as good as it gets in the AL. Unless Pujols goes Adam Dunn after a league switch, they're going to be pretty good.

I'd say buying players played a pivotal role in the Yankees '09 title. Don't get me wrong. I'm not handing the Angels anything. But that rotation, 1-4, is as good as it gets in the AL. Unless Pujols goes Adam Dunn after a league switch, they're going to be pretty good.

The Phillies thought the same thing around this time last year.. How did that work out for them? Not saying it can't happen, just don't see it.

the Yankees did finally buy a championship in 2009, only after failing to win one after trying to buy one every seasons from 2002-2008... The Red Sox and Phillies spent the most $$$ last off-season as well and were declared the favorites and we had a Rangers/Cardinals World Series.

And look at the Heat and Eagles in the NBA and NFL... I think the era of buying a championship is gone. The parody is every sport is too good...

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
the Yankees did finally buy a championship in 2009, only after failing to win one after trying to buy one every seasons from 2002-2008... The Red Sox and Phillies spent the most $$$ last off-season as well and were declared the favorites and we had a Rangers/Cardinals World Series.

And look at the Heat and Eagles in the NBA and NFL... I think the era of buying a championship is gone. The parody is every sport is too good...

Like on SNL?

Adrian Gonzalez's seven-year, $154MM contract with the Red Sox "looks rather incredible now," writes WEEI.com's Alex Speier. "There is a good chance that Gonzalez will be a better player than Pujols for the next seven years. But even if he is not...the difference will not be as wide as a nine-figure contract chasm would suggest."

Sad but true..

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
You're already calling them the best team in the AL?

Albert's a monster, but a declining monster. They were 10th in the AL last year in runs scoerd, but is Kendry Morales supposed to be healthy? That'd be another beast to add to the lineup.

The Angels were already first in the AL in ERA, so adding CJ Wilson just made them even stronger.

I think the argument is probably valid; that's a very strong team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Albert's a monster, but a declining monster. They were 10th in the AL last year in runs scoerd, but is Kendry Morales supposed to be healthy? That'd be another beast to add to the lineup.

The Angels were already first in the AL in ERA, so adding CJ Wilson just made them even stronger.

I think the argument is probably valid; that's a very strong team.

It's a very strong team, no doubt. They look like the strongest team in the AL West. But Writing them in for a guaranteed WS seems like it would work as well as writing in the Red Sox last year.

And I don't think Morales is supposed to be healthy.

• 3 weeks later...

Link

Pujols agreed to a backloaded deal -- taking significantly less money in the first two years -- to aid the Angels in their pursuit of free agent pitcher C.J. Wilson, baseball sources told ESPN.com.

Pujols will make a base salary of $12 million in 2012 and $16 million in 2013, said a source. His salary will gradually increase until it surpasses $30 million annually near the end of the deal.

By agreeing to take less money up front, Pujols helped the Angels sign Wilson, who reached agreement on a five-year, $77.5 million deal three weeks ago. Wilson, who went 16-7 with a 2.94 ERA and finished sixth in the American League Cy Young Award balloting, will combine with Jered Weaver, Dan Haren and Ervin Santana to give Los Angeles one of baseball's most formidable starting rotations.

Sources said Pujols' deal could peak at about $265 million if he attains some reachable award bonuses and milestone incentives. A source confirmed a recent Yahoo! Sports report that Pujols will receive $3 million from the Angels for his 3,000th hit and $7 million if he breaks Barry Bonds' career record of 762 home runs.

I like how "Breaking tetrahydrogestrinone's record" is a reachable incentive.

There's another article from CBS Sports that says that Pujols is locked in for 20 years with the Angels. The 10 year contract includes an additional 10 years of exclusive LAA team service. I.e., no Cardinals stuff for Pujols when he retires and goes into the Hall - even if he goes in as a STL Card.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1640261...-from-higher-up

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 30, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
There's another article from CBS Sports that says that Pujols is locked in for 20 years with the Angels. The 10 year contract includes an additional 10 years of exclusive LAA team service. I.e., no Cardinals stuff for Pujols when he retires and goes into the Hall - even if he goes in as a STL Card.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1640261...-from-higher-up

Wow