Adam Dunn is not done

soxfan-kwman

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
add to this Hawk's contention that when they broke camp last year he told his wife "we've got problems" and it makes me wonder why i ever listen/believe these guys when they talk about the upcoming season.

Of course you can't take them seriously. The only thing that puzzles me about Ozzie's quote and I'm going to believe him, is if they knew then, why did it take so long to move him down in the line up if Ozzie truly wasn't trying to show up KW and was trying to win?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Oh come on now...what was he supposed to do? Tell the fans and Kenny "I'm not playing him. His swing is f***ed."

I know KW & Ozzie had their issues, but I would hope a manager could tell his GM, "Listen, this guy hasn't been right since day one. We've tried everything and it just hasn't worked. I'm gonna have to bench him or at least drop him in the order because I don't see it changing anytime soon."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 01:04 AM)
I know KW & Ozzie had their issues, but I would hope a manager could tell his GM, "Listen, this guy hasn't been right since day one. We've tried everything and it just hasn't worked. I'm gonna have to bench him or at least drop him in the order because I don't see it changing anytime soon."

Robin will do the same thing Ozzie did. Play him every day and bat him third, fourth or fifth. If Dunn sucks as badly as last year, maybe he'll move down to sixth. He makes one billion zillion dollars a year; he plays every day and bats in the meat of the order.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
Robin will do the same thing Ozzie did. Play him every day and bat him third, fourth or fifth. If Dunn sucks as badly as last year, maybe he'll move down to sixth. He makes one billion zillion dollars a year; he plays every day and bats in the meat of the order.

This year, playing him anyway is te right move. We're not "all in" trying to save the managers job.

Last year, we were all in to win the division with the roster, but the manager just admitted he gave 500 pa's to a guy whose swing was screwed on day 1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)
This year, playing him anyway is te right move. We're not "all in" trying to save the managers job.

Last year, we were all in to win the division with the roster, but the manager just admitted he gave 500 pa's to a guy whose swing was screwed on day 1.

Balta, not trying to flame, explain to me how this year isn't "all-in" compared to last year.

Just because we don't have Mark?

The same bodies are here with Sale filling in for Mark.

What young guys are we playing to not be all-in?? Many consider Tank an upgrade over CQ. DeAza over Pierre is an upgrade as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)

Wasn't it around July/ end of June that KW told the media that Ozzie didn't have to worry about the contracts and play the best guys going. I think KW views the All-Star break as a barometer of how the team is going, if they are stinking it up do whatever it takes to get the team going and try to salvage a season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
Balta, not trying to flame, explain to me how this year isn't "all-in" compared to last year.

What young guys are we playing to not be all-in?? Many consider Tank an upgrade over CQ. DeAza over Pierre is an upgrade as well.

De Aza is still a gamble, and beig better than Pierre is still not necessarily good. Viciedo is going to need time to develop. Ditto Morel, Sale, Reed, and Flowres. Humber is a gamble, who knows if he'll step up or down from last year. And there is very little depth behind position players.

The only reason more vets weren't moved is that they know it would be harder to refill the stafium in the future if they empty it this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)

Especially because Kenny said publicly that salary wasn't to be a consideration for playing time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)

It's an interesting perspective, however, how does our bullpen look comparatively speaking from last year to this year? I think there's a lot of question marks there. In theory, however, this team could surprise some people. Nearly EVERYTHING would have to go right, but there is always hope. This is why we'll all be watching in April....

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 10:57 PM)

There's definitely a more complicated answer to this, but you can see we're not "all-in" simply by comparing last year's payroll with this one.

Also, expectations of veterans' performances this year are miserably low. Not the appropriate time for large gambles.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 07:57 PM)

I kind of agree with you here. There is a lot of potential suck on the roster though, but some sort of Twinkie, small ball approach might work.

I think if De Aza comes out of the gate blazing we'll have a really good shot; like Pods Syndrome in '05.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
I kind of agree with you here. There is a lot of potential suck on the roster though, but some sort of Twinkie, small ball approach might work.

I think if De Aza comes out of the gate blazing we'll have a really good shot; like Pods Syndrome in '05.

Ha! Wouldn't THAT piss Ozzie off!

QUOTE (jwmann2 @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
I think he just hasn't fully adjusted to being the DH on a full time basis. I think if you were to make Konerko the full time DH, and Dunn at 1B, Dunn's stats would rise dramatically. Not that it should happen. He also needs to drop a few pounds and speed up the bat.

We did that in August, and we wound up having a better 1b in Lillibridge.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
That was Dunn's 8th opening day home run. Trying a record with Frank Robinson and Ken Griffey Jr. Also, Dunn hit 2 home runs in openers in Cincinnati in 2005 and 2007. Way to go Adam! Keep it up.

He's always been good on opening day.

He was also good on opening day last year (the entire lineup was). So yeah, I guess that means we're not out of the blue yet in terms of the possibility that Adam Dunn straight up sucks.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)

He was also good on opening day last year (the entire lineup was). So yeah, I guess that means we're not out of the blue yet in terms of the possibility that Adam Dunn straight up sucks.

I hope Adam Dunn doesn't read these words.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)

Maybe he does, but I'm at least encouraged. How he hit after opening day last year would make you think he might not be capable of doing what he did yesterday, especially when a lot of his teammates looked like fools at the plate. Its one game, you can't call him "back", but I could say with confidence now, which i didn't have until yesterday, if he's bad, he won't be nearly as bad as he was last year.