The Carlos Quentin Appreciation Thread

sunofgold

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
I just can't understand the defense of Kenny on here.

The Quentin trade sucked IMO. It's a no brainer to say it sucked. I guess nobody on the Sox we ever trade is worth a s***. To get two hack pitchers for CQ seems pretty lousy to me.

Carlos arguably was the second best hitter on the White Sox last year. I guess our organization is THAT BAD if our second best hitter can't get us a haul of anything but two players who in the words of our own Dick Allen are "garbage."

He's only under control for one more year, what is so hard to understand here?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 03:53 AM)
He's only under control for one more year, what is so hard to understand here?

That KW has no vision.

If this is all we could get for CQ, we could have traded him last season IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
I just can't understand the defense of Kenny on here.

The Quentin trade sucked IMO. It's a no brainer to say it sucked. I guess nobody on the Sox we ever trade is worth a s***. To get two hack pitchers for CQ seems pretty lousy to me.

Carlos arguably was the second best hitter on the White Sox last year. I guess our organization is THAT BAD if our second best hitter can't get us a haul of anything but two players who in the words of our own Dick Allen are "garbage."

Who's "defending" KW? If you choose to ignore things like salary, market value, skill-set, other teams' needs, etc, that's on you. If anything, Padres fans are the ones that should be pissed off.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
Who's "defending" KW? If you choose to ignore things like salary, market value, skill-set, other teams' needs, etc, that's on you. If anything, Padres fans are the ones that should be pissed off.

Exactly. Wtf do the Padres need CQ for? He'll negate any offensive value by playing league-worst defense in one of the biggest outfields in the nation. He'll hit fewer homeruns (maybe 20, unless he plays a full season for the first time in his career) and they'll have to pay him $8m to do all of it for a third or fourth place team. And they gave up two pitching prospects for that right.

I'm no CQ hater, but the Padres are probably one of the worst fits in the MLB for him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 05:22 AM)
Exactly. Wtf do the Padres need CQ for? He'll negate any offensive value by playing league-worst defense in one of the biggest outfields in the nation. He'll hit fewer homeruns (maybe 20, unless he plays a full season for the first time in his career) and they'll have to pay him $8m to do all of it for a third or fourth place team. And they gave up two pitching prospects for that right.

I'm no CQ hater, but the Padres are probably one of the worst fits in the MLB for him.

It appears to be the worst possible fit. It'd be nice to see him in another HR hitter's park.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)

Because the Padres have a couple things few other teams have. They have no one in their OF anyway, so they aren't blocking anyone by picking up an injury prone OF. They might win a few games with him, which is always a nice thing. And since they aren't blocking anyone, they can afford to play him for 1/2 the season, see if maybe he plays well enough to establish he's healthy, then try to move him at the deadline for no real loss if he actually does stay healthy.

No team actually in competition was willing to take the chance on penciling him in as an everyday player for $8 million then find out that he gave them 1/2 of a season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
Is he really going to be making $8 million?

I thought most were projecting him between $6.25-7.75 million, probably somewhere in the middle of that range.

You could be right, I saw the $8m figure in some article, but you would probably know better than some generalist writer.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
You could be right, I saw the $8m figure in some article, but you would probably know better than some generalist writer.

I just remember thinking, everything that's been written about both Danks and Quentin...that Carlos was going to end up closer to $7 million, and Danks, $7.75-8.50 million....something like that, just ballpark figures.

They already gave Danks the "expected" $8 million for 2012, we'll see where Quentin ends up.

Doubt SD is really serious about signing him to a long-term extension, but who knows.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
I just remember thinking, everything that's been written about both Danks and Quentin...that Carlos was going to end up closer to $7 million, and Danks, $7.75-8.50 million....something like that, just ballpark figures.

They already gave Danks the "expected" $8 million for 2012, we'll see where Quentin ends up.

Doubt SD is really serious about signing him to a long-term extension, but who knows.

Yeah, maybe they just think they can dump him at the deadline for more than they gave up. If he's on one of his streaks in July, I guess they might be right.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
Yeah, maybe they just think they can dump him at the deadline for more than they gave up. If he's on one of his streaks in July, I guess they might be right.

That, and it doesn't hurt to win a few extra games to try to keep people in your ballpark too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
Unfair. Unfair. Unfair.

He has been great the past year and a half mentality-wise.

Carlos Quentin was a gamer. I truly hope we have other hitters (aside from Paulie) who can get as hot as CQ does.

I can't believe a lot of people on here mock Carlos for his injuries but refuse to mock Jake for the same reason.

The guy had 483 plate appearances last year, but he's hurt all the time. Rite.

I can't believe the mocking of our own on here sometimes.

Last year - CQ 483 plate appearances, 421 at bats.

2010: 527 plate apps.

2009: 399 plate appearaances, 99 games.

2008: 569 appearances.

So in the last four years, he's played 118 games, 131, 99 and 130. One out of four years he's hurt a ton.

Give me a fricking break regarding CQ. He's a stud IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)
He's missed some games because of injury, yes he has.

We're allegedly pretty deep in the outfield (til dealing CQ and til Rios decided to loaf again) so no biggie.

I'm not saying he's Cal Ripken (he wasn't that durable, his son was though) in terms of durability.

I am saying he is an all-star, a "name" baseball player who could have gotten us some good players had we dealt him last season or had a good GM who could have gotten us some value, not two fringe prospects NOBODY in baseball is excited about. That's all.

Nice trade, Kenny.

Greg, you are too easy.

Oh, and mocking Quentin should be acceptable in your world, as he's not one of "our own" anymore.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
It isn't 2008 Greg, Carlos Quentin is literally a mediocre hitting DH (his hitting stats are equivalent to that of an average DH) that can play the outfield (poorly I might add). What kind of value does that really bring to teams, especially NL teams?

Some other one-time all stars from 2008 whose greatness can never be questioned, according to Greg's logic:

Milton Bradley

Edinson Volquez

Aaron Cook

Dioner Navarro

Joe Crede (!!!!!)

George Sherrill