2012 TV Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)

That's a whole lot of fascinating new stuff to introduce if you don't expect the show to come back. New conflicts, all the new stuff with the warden, an actual '63 science-type-guy waking up in the middle of a hidden room, a schedule involving a lot more cities than just san fran, etc.

The reaction of the guy in the hidden room as interesting. It definitely showed that the time lapse for the prisoners was planned, it's not an accident that they didn't age at all.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I dropped it after one episode.

The finale of Fox’s freshman drama delivered 4.7 million viewers and a 1.5 rating among adults 18-49, putting Fox into fourth place on Monday night. The two-hour finale also fell 6 percent from last week to a season-low rating. Ending on a low note is never a good sign for a first-year show, especially since Alcatraz‘s only major broadcast scripted competition — CBS’ comedy block — was in repeats.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
My wife and I have the entire seasons of The River and Alcatraz on our DVR. We havent had a chance to watch them yet. Should I just scrap them?

I like The River, but I haven't watched Alcatraz yet. I'm wondering the same thing about it. If I hear it's been cancelled, I won't bother.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)

That's a whole lot of fascinating new stuff to introduce if you don't expect the show to come back. New conflicts, all the new stuff with the warden, an actual '63 science-type-guy waking up in the middle of a hidden room, a schedule involving a lot more cities than just san fran, etc.

At least when terra Nova ended, you could look at that first season and say they told 1 complete story arc. Can't do that here.

Agreed.

No reason to introduce that new science guy in 1960, and THEN have him appear in the hidden room at the end, cackling like a maniac.

Also, something I'd be trying to figure out the whole season was alluded to last night. The flashbacks are ALWAYS to either 1960 or 1963, with the latter being for the obvious reason. But the new science guy mentioned to Tommy Madsen something along the lines of, "In three years you'll get to be free."

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
I like The River, but I haven't watched Alcatraz yet. I'm wondering the same thing about it. If I hear it's been cancelled, I won't bother.

They're actually very similar, so if you like one you'll like the other. They both have convenient experts that know everything that's going on, the "mystery" is always solved by the end of the episode, and generally not too much has happened over the course of a season. I was pretty meh on both but continued to watch since there isn't much on these days.

Mother F'in #%$@$%$%@

'Terra Nova': Netflix Move Not Happening

Less than a month after the show was canceled and there were talks of a possible move to Netflix, sources confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that the deal won't happen and "Terra Nova" will go the way of the dinosaurs. TV Guide confirmed THR's reports, citing sources close to the show.

According to TV Guide, "Terra Nova" cost about $4 million per episode, making it one pricey drama, especially for Netflix. The price tag also makes the show finding a cable home unlikely. The cast, while still under contract with "Terra Nova," has started booking new roles. Series star Jason O'Mara will appear in CBS's Ralph Lamb pilot, but the role is in second position to "Terra Nova."

News of a possible Netflix revival first broke in early March right after Fox canceled the series. Netflix and 20th Century Fox TV have a relationship thanks to "Arrested Development." Netflix is reviving the canceled cult-hit comedy and will air a new season on its streaming service in 2013. After the "Arrested Development" announcement, 20th Century Fox TV brass seemed eager to continue their game-changing deals to keep and/or bring back canceled programs.

"We build brands at this studio which are so distinctive that audiences still clamor for them years after they go off the air. 'Arrested Development' is a great example of that has stood the test of time," 20th Century Fox TV chairmen Dana Walden and Gary Newman said in March in a statement. "This innovative deal with Netflix represents a new business model that is extremely exciting and opens the door for a wide range of new collaborations."

Along with "Arrested Development," Netflix has "Lilyhammer" and is at work on "Hemlock Grove" from Eli Roth, the Kevin Spacey series "House of Cards" and a new show from "Weeds" creator Jenji Kohan.

Alcatraz

Ok, so the Warden and Mr. Science developed a 1960s version of a GPS ankle bracelet that let them track people...

...and this injected silver can send a signal that can reach Alcatraz from anywhere in the US?

...and they either had a means of time travel or knew that "the event" would happen in 1963?

...and they recruited a number of inmates - the ones who have the silver - to do evil things for them in 2012 in exchange for their freedom?

........the released guy was also integral to this plan somehow, but was not following it

...and there's at least a third person in the group (not Mr. Science who just warped in and not the Warden, who would almost certainly be dead by 2012) who got off the island for the event, but came back to use the room to track inmates in 2012?

......but that room looked like it was unused for a LONG time

............so they were tracking them all over the US in a different era too?

:|

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
Yeah I like Grimm as well, its on a good night because Friday is weak for programming besides for Fringe.

That reminds me, between you and Jason talking up Fringe I decided to give it a shot. Fantastic show! The other side storyline is a bit frustrating at times, but the first couple seasons were glorious (I'm still catching up). It pays to read people's reviews on here.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
That reminds me, between you and Jason talking up Fringe I decided to give it a shot. Fantastic show! The other side storyline is a bit frustrating at times, but the first couple seasons were glorious (I'm still catching up). It pays to read people's reviews on here.

Glad you enjoyed it. I've just started DVR'ing Grimm. The 1st episode I saw was interesting. I'm trying to get into it mid show so someone can tell me if that is impossible to do.

We'll know in a few weeks if Fringe gets extended for a final 5th season. I really hope it does. One of the most entertaining and well written shows on TV (especially if you like Sci-Fi). They do a good job keeping the show intelligent. The show, much like another one of my personal favorites, Jericho, has one of the strongest core followings around though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)
Glad you enjoyed it. I've just started DVR'ing Grimm. The 1st episode I saw was interesting. I'm trying to get into it mid show so someone can tell me if that is impossible to do.

We'll know in a few weeks if Fringe gets extended for a final 5th season. I really hope it does. One of the most entertaining and well written shows on TV (especially if you like Sci-Fi). They do a good job keeping the show intelligent. The show, much like another one of my personal favorites, Jericho, has one of the strongest core followings around though.

Also, one of the most expensive shows to produce, which is the biggest problem. I'm a huge Fringe fan, but I'm still not so sure that it gets another season, based on production costs alone.

Finished Alcatraz finale last night. They were building towards next season for sure. I liked the episode, but the chase scene drove me crazy. They tear through town, causing accidents all over the place, race down streets, finally wrecking each other until one car rolls over a bunch of times catches fire and explodes. Throughout all of that, apparently not a single cop notices? No one calls the police? Not a single police siren is heard.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Finished Alcatraz finale last night. They were building towards next season for sure. I liked the episode, but the chase scene drove me crazy. They tear through town, causing accidents all over the place, race down streets, finally wrecking each other until one car rolls over a bunch of times catches fire and explodes. Throughout all of that, apparently not a single cop notices? No one calls the police? Not a single police siren is heard.

Apparently that was a detailed remake of a car chase from the film Bullitt (Steve McQueen, 1968).

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:40 AM)
Also, one of the most expensive shows to produce, which is the biggest problem. I'm a huge Fringe fan, but I'm still not so sure that it gets another season, based on production costs alone.

I had read that the reason it probably wouldn't get cut is related to the fact that it isn't near as expensive to produce as some of Fox's other sci-fi shows. Additionally, it has that base following that it knows will follow the show on a Friday night.