2012 TV Thread

knightni

Since we're bringing logic into a post apocalyptic zombie world, here are things I would do differently...

1) Find a fuel tanker. Take it.

2) Rob some more gun stores. You're in the south. One thing they do have is a s***load of guns.

3) Not drive around in a 30 year old RV that breaks down all the time.

4) Not drive around in a 40 year old pick up truck.

5) Find some kind of protective gear like a motorcycle jacket.

6) Do some training. I'm fighting for survival. I'm probably going to get into shape. Find some swords and watch some kung fu flicks.

7) Fortify the farm. Jesus. Build another fence.

8) Maybe live in a building made of freaking brick.

9) Find a laptop and see if people are communicating via the wonderful new invention called the internet.

10) Spend a little less time talking about my feelings.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant have zombie movies if the main characters are smart. The simple answer is that zombies dont have brains, thus even the simplest human should be able to create a fortification to stop zombies.

I mean even the simplest human would have built a moat, trench, etc. You know simple techniques that were developed to stop walking armies. Let alone more advanced techniques like putting flameable material in a trench so when a large swarm of zombies came they would fall in trench and then be lit on fire.

That doesnt even get into the parts about hoarding important supplies, etc.

But if you have smart humans, you dont have a zombie film. Its why Carl always runs off. At a certain point you cant write that the main adult characters are acting stupid and naive.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
You cant have zombie movies if the main characters are smart. The simple answer is that zombies dont have brains, thus even the simplest human should be able to create a fortification to stop zombies.

I mean even the simplest human would have built a moat, trench, etc. You know simple techniques that were developed to stop walking armies. Let alone more advanced techniques like putting flameable material in a trench so when a large swarm of zombies came they would fall in trench and then be lit on fire.

But if you have smart humans, you dont have a zombie film. Its why Carl always runs off. At a certain point you cant write that the main adult characters are acting stupid and naive.

You're on fire today. Great post.

World War Z handles this very, very well, but they're looking back from a post-zombie pandemic rebuilding society perspective so the story telling is a little different.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
This goes way beyond the show, so it's not even a legit gripe of mine, but I always wondered how the zombies end up eating humans. I mean, zombies at some point were humans that got turned by other zombies right? So, how are any of them walking around if they're eaten to bits (ala the dude in the RV or the Otis' wife)? Or, if you say that they just eat them for a while (hence all the gaping holes and whatnot), why would a blood thirsty zombie stop if it (1) wants brains and (2) never gets full.

But yes, the running/walking zombie thing is another "rule" this show has set up and broken many times in the series, depending on the writers' need at the moment.

People who get bit once and get away. People who die of natural causes and become zombies. Those are two examples right there.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Shameless

Assuming Monica kills herself judging by the previews for the last 2 episodes

I was guessing her or Carl. Neither of them are really shown in that preview, and Carl has been somewhat of a big sidebar this season.

I dont totally blame Fiona for the squirrel fund fiasco. In fact, I always thought it should have happened sooner with Frank at some point. It wasnt as if they actually hid the money, it was just in a high place.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
I was guessing her or Carl. Neither of them are really shown in that preview, and Carl has been somewhat of a big sidebar this season.

I dont totally blame Fiona for the squirrel fund fiasco. In fact, I always thought it should have happened sooner with Frank at some point. It wasnt as if they actually hid the money, it was just in a high place.

They should have kept it hidden at Veronicas/Kev's at the least, if it's in the house it was going to get found.

We don't need this people to be Einsteins, we need them to be believably average and reasonable. Things normal people would not do:

(1) remove a zombie well with a human attached to a rope after just hearing that there were 4 other perfectly fine (and zombie free) wells on the property

(2) never leave the group without telling someone where you are going; or, in the case of Lori, never ask 2 people to go look for your husband and then two seconds later leave on your own to find him....and wreck your car in the process.

(3) as someone else said - don't drive a) a repeatedly broken RV, and b) a loud as s*** motorcycle (little gas tank! no protection! very loud!)

(4) allow a kid to continue to wander about without knowing where he is 24/7, ESPECIALLY after the other kid in the group just got killed because she wandered off

(5) turn off the RV and head towards the door in the middle of a zombie attack

These are just a few examples of completely moronic and completely unbelievable acts performed by these characters.

I'm not reading any of the last five pages because that horse has been beaten dead already. However, one brief thought about the finale:

MICHONNE

That is all.

Edited by Felix

Since I don't care about a bunch of Zombies ( :D ), I was going to add a comment about the show Awake. I'm convinced this would have been a better concept for a movie, as it's just an awful TV show in my opinion. The concept is interesting, but I can't believe they added a big conspiracy at the end of the episode two weeks ago only to not touch upon it last Thursday. Also, the two therapists on the show have to have the greatest gigs in TV history. Get paid a fortune to sit on a couch for two minutes of dialogue with no action, etc.

I'm fine with Awake. They don't need to bring up that conspiracy theory right away. Its episode 3 of 13 and I have a feeling the less we see of it the better. I like that they aren't shoving the "Which is rea/dream" stuff down our throats and are just accepting that he is going back and forth.

Jenks,

The point is, that without these people acting stupid, there would be almost 0 plot lines involving zombie attacks. Who would watch a show that entails a group of survivors, building an impenetrable fort and then not making mistakes. How many episodes would you watch?

Characters have to act stupid, that is what puts them in close proximity to zombies.

For the most part these are the reasons Im not a huge zombie movie fan. But one of my roommates loved zombie films, so Ive seen a lot of them. At a certain point you just have to get passed the idiocy, because its what drives the show.

Basically after the first wave and surprise, there really is no excuse to get killed by a zombie. They are slow, cant use machines and have 0 intelligence. They cant even use rudimentary tools, there is just no way a zombie should get a human, unless the human is so stupid/inept/naive that they continually put themselves in harms way.

Which is why zombie movies/shows are fun. Because its watching a train wreck, over and over again. Once in a while there will be a smart person in a zombie film/show, but undoubtedly they will die to do the stupidity of another character.

With regard to Awake, I like the idea, but Im not sure I can keep believing the "Im not sure what reality is real." To me it seems like the wife is real and the son is fake. Why? His son just happens to get kidnapped around the time of the anniversary of his death (loss of his son) and it just happens to center around something that happened in the past that the main character may have felt guilty about.

I dont know, its just somewhat unfeasible that nothing would happen in either dream that would be a suspension of reality. Or at least have something happen in both worlds to suggest its not real. Otherwise we are going down another alternative reality show, which will really be annoying because the show is going to such great lengths to say thats not what is happening.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
With regard to Awake, I like the idea, but Im not sure I can keep believing the "Im not sure what reality is real." To me it seems like the wife is real and the son is fake. Why? His son just happens to get kidnapped around the time of the anniversary of his death (loss of his son) and it just happens to center around something that happened in the past that the main character may have felt guilty about.

I dont know, its just somewhat unfeasible that nothing would happen in either dream that would be a suspension of reality. Or at least have something happen in both worlds to suggest its not real. Otherwise we are going down another alternative reality show, which will really be annoying because the show is going to such great lengths to say thats not what is happening.

If his son's reality is fake why would he learn from that reality that an inmate that he put away long ago was innocent... It's all really weird.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
We don't need this people to be Einsteins, we need them to be believably average and reasonable. Things normal people would not do:

(1) remove a zombie well with a human attached to a rope after just hearing that there were 4 other perfectly fine (and zombie free) wells on the property

(2) never leave the group without telling someone where you are going; or, in the case of Lori, never ask 2 people to go look for your husband and then two seconds later leave on your own to find him....and wreck your car in the process.

(3) as someone else said - don't drive a) a repeatedly broken RV, and b) a loud as s*** motorcycle (little gas tank! no protection! very loud!)

(4) allow a kid to continue to wander about without knowing where he is 24/7, ESPECIALLY after the other kid in the group just got killed because she wandered off

(5) turn off the RV and head towards the door in the middle of a zombie attack

These are just a few examples of completely moronic and completely unbelievable acts performed by these characters.

Badger pretty much already covered this, but I'm going to come at it from a different angle. These people are under enormous amounts of duress/stress/fear/pressure/whatever you want to call it. When people are acting under those circumstances, they make decisions that are incredibly stupid in retrospect. They're not capable, equipped, or trained to act calmly in these situations.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Jenks,

The point is, that without these people acting stupid, there would be almost 0 plot lines involving zombie attacks. Who would watch a show that entails a group of survivors, building an impenetrable fort and then not making mistakes. How many episodes would you watch?

Characters have to act stupid, that is what puts them in close proximity to zombies.

For the most part these are the reasons Im not a huge zombie movie fan. But one of my roommates loved zombie films, so Ive seen a lot of them. At a certain point you just have to get passed the idiocy, because its what drives the show.

Basically after the first wave and surprise, there really is no excuse to get killed by a zombie. They are slow, cant use machines and have 0 intelligence. They cant even use rudimentary tools, there is just no way a zombie should get a human, unless the human is so stupid/inept/naive that they continually put themselves in harms way.

Which is why zombie movies/shows are fun. Because its watching a train wreck, over and over again. Once in a while there will be a smart person in a zombie film/show, but undoubtedly they will die to do the stupidity of another character.

I know what you're saying and I agree with you generally. What I'm saying is that they can make mistakes and still fuel various zombie encounters without resorting to just plain unrealistic stupidity. Season one was like that. Rick going into a zomnie filled metropolis is dumb, but not unreasonable. This season was more about idiotic and nonsensical actions to drive the plot along. The RV death could have been done a gazillion different ways that was entertaining/intense/comical, whatever. Instead it was just s***ty, s***ty writing to get rid of a character.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
I'm not reading any of the last five pages because that horse has been beaten dead already. However, one brief thought about the finale:

MICHONNE

That is all.

I am currently in the process of downloading comics 1-88. I'm too hooked on you folks knowing everything and I can never avoid stuff in spoiler tags, so I might as well enjoy them!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
I am currently in the process of downloading comics 1-88. I'm too hooked on you folks knowing everything and I can never avoid stuff in spoiler tags, so I might as well enjoy them!

Definitely worth the read, really doesnt take long and it's highly entertaining.