2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

Also, Assassins Creed II is the best game in the series. Best characters, protagonist, settings, pacing, travel, etc. and you weren't as overpowered. You had to think about how you would Assassinate people (shooting a man on a boat in Venice, but having it match up with a firework explosion was genius). Brotherhood and Revelations were pretty good, but got a bit boring with only one major city in each.

My biggest gripe is III missed out on a lot of epic moments, like, I don't know, everything in the commercials. The hope that the story would be good made me overlook it, but f*** that ending.

All that being said, the Naval battles were fantastic.

Edited by Quinarvy

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
I'm well into my second season and once you start getting a few achievements kicked off, the XP start rolling in. My guy is a 91 overall and I am a pretty good all around player, but I focus on fast break dunks (because they're awesome) and either fast break 3's or drawn up/pick and roll 3's. I can drive too (92 speed, 95 quickness with decent ball handling) but my dude's strength is shooting.

Oh, and I recently put up 98 vs the Hawks too. My dude is putting up like 56/4.5/2/2.5/.7 on the year. Going to kick up the difficulty next year because this is silly.

No, the Dragonborn/Solsteim DLC is nothing like Morrowind. It's Solstheim, which is incredibly nostalgic, but it's set some 200 years into the future and the island has changed quite a bit. In Morrowind/Bloodmoon, there is a quest to develop the community of Raven Rock for the Imperials. In Skyrim/Dragonborn, Raven Rock is a really large settlement

which the Imperials no longer own but Dunmer own instead after the mining business went south after everything was tapped dry (as I understand it).

Also, you hear about

Falx Carius within the first 5 seconds of being on Solstheim - just head east upon reaching land. And yes, this takes place 200+ years after Morrowind.

I jizzed in my pants.

Hey Wite, did you ever finish Oblivion?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Also, Assassins Creed II is the best game in the series. Best characters, protagonist, settings, pacing, travel, etc. and you weren't as overpowered. You had to think about how you would Assassinate people (shooting a man on a boat in Venice, but having it match up with a firework explosion was genius). Brotherhood and Revelations were pretty good, but got a bit boring with only one major city in each.

My biggest gripe is III missed out on a lot of epic moments, like, I don't know, everything in the commercials. The hope that the story would be good made me overlook it, but f*** that ending.

All that being said, the Naval battles were fantastic.

II was the best. There's generally not much argument about that. However, I would say the only reason Brotherhood and Revelations didn't quite match up is because they didn't have the origin story. Origin stories are hard to top, especially with the quality one ACII had. ACB was basically the same game as II, but with one city instead of many. To be honest, I quite liked not having to travel from city to city to do stuff. The loading screens in II wore on me.

But yeah, the epic moments were severely lacking in III. The size/scale, graphics, depth and NPCs are III are incredible, top tier as far as games are concerned. It's a 50-hour game if you want to do everything (I know because other than full synching a ridiculously hard privateer mission I've got 100% synch). The Ezio trilogy comes in at about 25-30 hours each. The Boston Tea Party mission was amazing and some of the Kidd missions were really fun, but the main story missions were almost bothersome. There weren't enough missions where you had to sneak around and figure out how it was possible to stay undetected. There weren't as many of the awesome tomb missions of previous games.

I'd rate ACR as the worst of the Ezio trilogy, but that game still have lots of fast-paced missions and memorable moments.

ACIII was a disappointment only because it had super high expectations, but for the first time in an AC game the main story missions were less fun than the secondary stuff. Part of that is because the secondary stuff in this game is f***ing incredible. Although, I must say I don't agree with your gripe with the end of the game. It's already sold 7 million copies so you know they're going to make more games.

I'd like to see them go to a two-year development cycle from now on. They said they would, but recent rumors have come out saying they might make another game. You don't want over saturation and after III's relative disappointment they should take some time to think about that.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
II was the best. There's generally not much argument about that. However, I would say the only reason Brotherhood and Revelations didn't quite match up is because they didn't have the origin story. Origin stories are hard to top, especially with the quality one ACII had. ACB was basically the same game as II, but with one city instead of many. To be honest, I quite liked not having to travel from city to city to do stuff. The loading screens in II wore on me.

But yeah, the epic moments were severely lacking in III. The size/scale, graphics, depth and NPCs are III are incredible, top tier as far as games are concerned. It's a 50-hour game if you want to do everything (I know because other than full synching a ridiculously hard privateer mission I've got 100% synch). The Ezio trilogy comes in at about 25-30 hours each. The Boston Tea Party mission was amazing and some of the Kidd missions were really fun, but the main story missions were almost bothersome. There weren't enough missions where you had to sneak around and figure out how it was possible to stay undetected. There weren't as many of the awesome tomb missions of previous games.

I'd rate ACR as the worst of the Ezio trilogy, but that game still have lots of fast-paced missions and memorable moments.

ACIII was a disappointment only because it had super high expectations, but for the first time in an AC game the main story missions were less fun than the secondary stuff. Part of that is because the secondary stuff in this game is f***ing incredible. Although, I must say I don't agree with your gripe with the end of the game. It's already sold 7 million copies so you know they're going to make more games.

I'd like to see them go to a two-year development cycle from now on. They said they would, but recent rumors have come out saying they might make another game. You don't want over saturation and after III's relative disappointment they should take some time to think about that.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76422/ass...-creed-3-review

This review says it best for me. Characters were underdeveloped, Connor was kind of boring, etc.

My gripe with the ending is that it was pretty much s***, it was almost a carbon copy of ME3. It was supposed to be the wrap up game, but it's the most ambiguous yet.

And it didn't have any emotional "I want to destroy this guy" moments like the Ezio trilogy (towards the end of Revelations, finally getting Borgia, Cesare, etc.). Lee and Haytham had alot of potential for villains that didn't get used. Especially Haytham.

Edit: In the end, I think they might have been better off just scrapping the animus all together and had Altair leave Ezio clues, Ezio leave clues that somehow get to Connor, and Connor leave Desmond clues with Desmond getting a full fledged game. The overarching storyline (and AC3's lack of epic moments) are my main gripes. Lucy was poorly handled, Daniel Cross was set up perfectly as a rival that never fleshed out, Subject 16 was handled well enough, and Vidic needed more confrontation time.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
Attempted home fix of my PS3 was a big fail. Worked for 10 minutes, then shut off with the same problem. Madden is stuck in there too. Dammit.

Did you wrap it with towels and turn it on and off and blow in the cartridge and slide the cartridge to the left and then to the right and turn it upside down and unplug it plug it back in and Up, up , down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start and do the Rain Dance(once forward, once backwards)?

If you didnt do all of that, then you did it wrong

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
Attempted home fix of my PS3 was a big fail. Worked for 10 minutes, then shut off with the same problem. Madden is stuck in there too. Dammit.

http://www.gophermods.com/

Save yourself the hastle and go there. My PS3 was one of the 5% that was so burned out they couldn't repair it and didn't charge me anything other than shipping, then they paid for shipping when they thought reballing it would work. Still didn't.

Eventually, one of my friends fat PS3's AV ports and stuff became broken. They were able to transfer that processor to my old PS3 which allowed me to retrieve all my saved data.

(Friend got the old PS3 because I had gotten a slim at this point).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Only if you did it right. Quick, hard, left to right blow out, and then you throw it back in.

after I got the SNES, my dad got me a cartridge cleaning kit, and I ceased having those problems. And I know where those problems came from, the games i rented. They were ridiculously filthy.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
http://www.gophermods.com/

Save yourself the hastle and go there. My PS3 was one of the 5% that was so burned out they couldn't repair it and didn't charge me anything other than shipping, then they paid for shipping when they thought reballing it would work. Still didn't.

Eventually, one of my friends fat PS3's AV ports and stuff became broken. They were able to transfer that processor to my old PS3 which allowed me to retrieve all my saved data.

(Friend got the old PS3 because I had gotten a slim at this point).

I think i'm just going to wait until the new consoles come out. The Last of Us might force my hand, but otherwise I just upgraded my PC and might go back to PC gaming. Damn technology.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Only if you did it right. Quick, hard, left to right blow out, and then you throw it back in.

I am a gentle movers slowly right then left while tapping the reset button. I can get almost every game to work right away. And mine is my original console.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)
My gripe with the ending is that it was pretty much s***, it was almost a carbon copy of ME3. It was supposed to be the wrap up game, but it's the most ambiguous yet.

That's your own fault for thinking that. Ubisoft makes way too much money on those games to 'end' them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
I am a gentle movers slowly right then left while tapping the reset button. I can get almost every game to work right away. And mine is my original console.

As the leader of the hard and fast movers, we denounce this style and request a congressional vote to illegalize "slow a1nd gentle" moving NES players.

1 vote for yay

Reasoning: Does it work? I'm sure it does. Just as it does the fact that the XBox 360 still works, or the Play Station Wii that he has. I imagine that, if he played Mortal Kombat on that with Diddy Mario, it would probably break but it would first give him a warning that the planet he was one was filled with the flood. Little did young RockRaines (no relation to Tim "Rock" Raines") he was actually born under an uncertain sign to uncertain parents in the land of Morrowind, but that King Uriel Septim wanted to make sure that Princess Zelda knew the whereabouts of the long lost Crash.

Before he could ultimately realize that he was trying to save Crash Bandicoot, he was destroyed by Crash Man, and, while trying to recover, had a plasma grenade stick to him.

Needless to say, Crash Bandicoot still needs to be saved.

---

Next vote please: