Jason Frasor Traded to Jays

Baron

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Supposedly Boras is looking for 5 years, $60M for Jackson. Good luck with that.

You know the advanced stats much more than I do...but I thought I saw someone argue that Jackson's actually been better than Danks over the course of the last few years, and so Boras would use Danks extension as his baseline.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
What is interesting is Jackson is actually younger than Floyd and they have been pretty similar overall, Jackson may have even out performed him overall the last 3 seasons. So anyone pissed off the Sox traded for Jackson with a year and a half left on his contract, should probably want Floyd dealt immediately.

?

Umm, the difference was the Sox already had Floyd on the roster. No one was angry that Jackson was acquired to pitch for us. People were upset about who was used to acquire him (as well as whose spot in the rotation he ultimately took). I don't think anyone disliked Edwin Jackson simply for being Edwin Jackson.

However, were a team to offer us a pitcher as effective and with as many pre-arb years left as Dan Hudson when we traded him, I don't think you'd find many people who would complain.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
?

Umm, the difference was the Sox already had Floyd on the roster. No one was angry that Jackson was acquired to pitch for us. People were upset about who was used to acquire him (as well as whose spot in the rotation he ultimately took). I don't think anyone disliked Edwin Jackson simply for being Edwin Jackson.

However, were a team to offer us a pitcher as effective and with as many pre-arb years left as Dan Hudson when we traded him, I don't think you'd find many people who would complain.

Umm, right back at you. A LOT of posters didn't like Jackson then and didn't like him ever with the Sox. The consensus on this board comparing Edwin Jackson and Gavin Floyd would have Floyd the far better pitcher even though Jackson is younger and has been getting better results recently.

The fact is, if you think giving Jackson $10-12 million a year is ridiculous, you should think doing the same for Floyd would also be ridiculous, and it makes Floyd's $9.5 million option for 2013 not so much of a bargain as many consider. Its time to deal Gavin if you expect to get anything but the type of return you saw for Quentin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
He's been worth that kind of money over the last 3 seasons. That's a reasonable contract for him.

Unless I was the Yankees, I wouldn't be willing to offer that contract. 4 years for $40 million seems like a reasonable contract to me, but I'm sure he'll get more than that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Unless I was the Yankees, I wouldn't be willing to offer that contract. 4 years for $40 million seems like a reasonable contract to me, but I'm sure he'll get more than that.

I woudln't offer that as the White Sox either, but the White Sox don't need pitching. He'd be a big addition to the disasters that were those Boston or NYC rotations, and then there are a bunch of others who could use a righty who takes a lot of innings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
I woudln't offer that as the White Sox either, but the White Sox don't need pitching. He'd be a big addition to the disasters that were those Boston or NYC rotations, and then there are a bunch of others who could use a righty who takes a lot of innings.

The White Sox could alway s use pitching but Boras is going to get a 4 or 5 year deal for Jackson and there is no way JR is going to be committing big money to 2 pitchers for that length of time, unless he's getting out soon. So I do agree, no way Jackson comes back to the Sox, at least not now, I really doubt the Sox have even considered it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Umm, right back at you. A LOT of posters didn't like Jackson then and didn't like him ever with the Sox. The consensus on this board comparing Edwin Jackson and Gavin Floyd would have Floyd the far better pitcher even though Jackson is younger and has been getting better results recently.

The fact is, if you think giving Jackson $10-12 million a year is ridiculous, you should think doing the same for Floyd would also be ridiculous, and it makes Floyd's $9.5 million option for 2013 not so much of a bargain as many consider. Its time to deal Gavin if you expect to get anything but the type of return you saw for Quentin.

But this isn't what you said at all in the post I replied to.

You said if you didn't like trading for Jackson, then you should want to trade Floyd immediately.

Those two things are not even close to the same thing.

One involves acquiring a player you have to spend valuable assets for, and another involves trading away an asset you already have.

Completely different things.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

You said if you didn't like trading for Jackson, then you should want to trade Floyd immediately.

One involves acquiring a player you have to spend valuable assets for, and another involves trading away an asset you already have.

Wrong. Jackson is better than Floyd. If you don't want his services for 1.5 seasons, which was the complaint from day 1, why would you want Floyd's services for 2 seasons? It seems to me if you didn't like acquiring a guy for that length of time and would rather have what it cost to get him, you would rather have the return on Floyd than have him with an almost identical if not more expensive contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Wrong. Jackson is better than Floyd. If you don't want his services for 1.5 seasons, which was the complaint from day 1, why would you want Floyd's services for 2 seasons? It seems to me if you didn't like acquiring a guy for that length of time and would rather have what it cost to get him, you would rather have the return on Floyd than have him with an almost identical if not more expensive contract.

What on Earth are you talking about?

Are you honestly trying to tell us that trading Hudson and Holmberg for Edwin Jackson is the same position as having Floyd already?

If the point you're trying to make is that Floyd would bring back Hudson and Holmberg, than yes, I think most of us would say trade Floyd right now.

But wouldn't you agree the situations are a little different? We traded Hudson at the deadline to get Edwin because we were trying to win the division. Prior to the season, most teams are going to want to see if they have any cheap arms in their system that step up and fill the role themselves, before paying a steep price to bring someone in another organization.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

This.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
My other more recent example is the Casey Blake for Carlos Santana trade. The Dodgers gave up Carlos Santana for Casey ****ing Blake, because they traded him away as a 22 year old in A-ball.

Santana was seen as a stud then too. The issues at the time were that Martin appeared to be the Dodgers long term solution at C and they were cash strapped. The Indians picked up Blakes salary to get a better prospect.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
How is our bullpen going to look? Different than 2011. Sale in the rotation. Frasor and Santos traded. Crain, Thornton, and Ohman will be back. Wonder how the rest of the bullpen will be. Addison Reed as the closer. Maybe Stewart as the longer reliever. Infante? Yikes!

Jhan Marinez could be in there. Brian Bruney and Eric Stults will be among the NRIs.

I think Axelrod will be the long guy/spot starter.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
How is our bullpen going to look? Different than 2011. Sale in the rotation. Frasor and Santos traded. Crain, Thornton, and Ohman will be back. Wonder how the rest of the bullpen will be. Addison Reed as the closer. Maybe Stewart as the longer reliever. Infante? Yikes!

My guess

Closer: Reed

RHSU:Crain

LHSU: Thornton

LHMR: OHman

RHMR: Stewart

LHLR:Santiago

RHLR: Axelrod

I can see those bein the set lefties(if they go with 3) with Axelrod, Stewart, Marinez, Infante, Carter(wasnt he getting some good pub last year? how was he?) and maybe even Castro battling it out in spring training as RH relievers