Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
This.

The kneeldown offense was the right call. Hanie can't play the position and has provided no evidence to the contrary. Our defense had put up a goose egg and was dominant all day long (despite never getting a holding call!). We should have won the game. Barber made two horrible mistakes. Prater rocked a 59 yarder to tie the game and a chip shot 51 yarder to win the game. Barber mistakes, Prater leg, a sprinkling of Tebow play making = we lose.

But why the f*** are you instituting this game plan and not MAKING ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT YOUR RUNNING BACK KNOWS TO STAY IN BOUNDS? You put in motion a strategy early in the 4th quarter, you damn well better make sure every player you put on that field is well aware of it and knows what he must do and what not to do. Now I know Barber should know better himself, without anyone telling him, but if you're going to call 12 straight run plays then you need to explain to your running backs explicitly why this is being done and what to do and what not to do.

As for the defense, wtf are you doing Lovie and Rod? You played brilliantly for the first 55 minutes of the game and then you go to the prevent you from winning defense. Especially on that game-tying drive, you gave the perimeter receivers 10 yards of cushion when the Broncos had no time outs. WTF ARE YOU DOING? You know this is Denver and you can make 70 yard field goals. Lovie being surprised that Prater drilled a 59 yarder at the end of regulation belies f***ing common sense, especially considering Gould drilled one from 57 yards and had 10 yards to spare.

Referees....DID YOU NOT SEE PEPPERS GETTING RAPED on every play for the Broncos' last three drives? The TD drive he got absolutely mugged!

I won $600 in a parlay because I had the Bears +3.5....so help me Tebow if those mfer's would have blown that bet for me...

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game was literally won at 2 different points. The first time, they had the ball inside the 2 minute warning and the Broncos had no timeouts. This is one of the most basic clock management moves here... you run the ball for 3 downs, taking as much time off the clock as possible, if you get a first down the game is over, if not, the other team gets the ball back with seconds left. Everything is basically a formality, because it's extremely unlikely the opposing team's offense can actually move the ball with that little time on the clock and no timeouts, even into field goal range. EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THIS which is why Barber's mistake was so bad.

The second time, IIRC Barber had gotten a first down while carelessly holding the ball and letting it get stripped. He was well within Gould's field goal range even without the first down, just wrap it up with both hands while running between the tackles and fall down. Come on, he's got to know this... he practices against the Bears defense who is COACHED TO STRIP THE BALL. Yes, s*** happens, but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. It would've been a 40-something yarder for Gould assuming they didn't gain another yard, which he hits in his sleep especially at Mile High.

Yes I know he scored the only TD and had 104 yards or whatever, but there's really not any other way of putting it, Barber lost the game. Twice.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
The game was literally won at 2 different points. The first time, they had the ball inside the 2 minute warning and the Broncos had no timeouts. This is one of the most basic clock management moves here... you run the ball for 3 downs, taking as much time off the clock as possible, if you get a first down the game is over, if not, the other team gets the ball back with seconds left. Everything is basically a formality, because it's extremely unlikely the opposing team's offense can actually move the ball with that little time on the clock and no timeouts, even into field goal range. EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THIS which is why Barber's mistake was so bad.

The second time, IIRC Barber had gotten a first down while carelessly holding the ball and letting it get stripped. He was well within Gould's field goal range even without the first down, just wrap it up with both hands while running between the tackles and fall down. Come on, he's got to know this... he practices against the Bears defense who is COACHED TO STRIP THE BALL. Yes, s*** happens, but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. It would've been a 40-something yarder for Gould assuming they didn't gain another yard, which he hits in his sleep especially at Mile High.

Yes I know he scored the only TD and had 104 yards or whatever, but there's really not any other way of putting it, Barber lost the game. Twice.

And I don't think that catch he made in overtime was even a catch, either.

It all comes down to no Jay Cutler. Bears are looking at 3 consecutive blowout wins and a whole lot of playoff excitement in town of he doesnt break his finger.

Oh well, maybe the Bears defense can continue being ageless wonders for one more year.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
It wasn't... it was like the fumble was his way of compensating for that not being called incomplete.

And yet even with all his failures, I have to agree with Kyle that the ONLY way for these things to even occur is by the Bears playing not to lose as opposed to playing to win.

We've done this quite a bit throughout Lovie's tenure and I absolutely despise it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 05:20 AM)
It wasn't... it was like the fumble was his way of compensating for that not being called incomplete.

I guess I'm the only one that thought Denver's TD should have been reviewed for Tebow being past the line of scrimmage.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
I guess I'm the only one that thought Denver's TD should have been reviewed for Tebow being past the line of scrimmage.

No, my friend mentioned the same thing. I didn't think to look, but it must have definitely been close. Did you think his entire body was across the line?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 06:20 AM)
No, my friend mentioned the same thing. I didn't think to look, but it must have definitely been close. Did you think his entire body was across the line?

It was damn close, but God must have told the review booth not to question it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:25 AM)
It's been the same thing with Peppers since he was in Carolina. He utterly destroys whoever is blocking him so they hold him, and the refs don't call it... why? Why do they do this?

Which is ridiculous. If you're an elite player, and a team has to break the rules to make you less effective, that should be called...that's part of what you have earned by being that damned good.

Peppers, Idonije and Melton were held on a ridiculous number of plays with no calls. I was mentioning this all game long. And a lot of them were just blatant. It's as if the refs were too busy gawking at Tebow to realize it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
I wonder what kind of a reception Tebow would be receiving if he wasn't a Christian. I am trying to think of an athlete in my time that so many people want to see fail.

None, he'd be riding the bench behind Orton because he wouldn't have the cult of personality he does now.

Yes, Marion Barber is a complete moron for running out of bounds, but why are the Bears running plays in that situation anyway? Take a knee three times and by the time you get off a punt, Denver has about 20 seconds left with no timeouts.

Seems like that's at least a 99.9% winning strategy and eliminated the possibility of a fumble or a clock stoppage.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)
Yes, Marion Barber is a complete moron for running out of bounds, but why are the Bears running plays in that situation anyway? Take a knee three times and by the time you get off a punt, Denver has about 20 seconds left with no timeouts.

Seems like that's at least a 99.9% winning strategy and eliminated the possibility of a fumble or a clock stoppage.

Because if you get a first down the game is over.

Because if you get a first down the game is over.

Which is more likely to happen:

1) Broncos get the ball at the 20 with 20 seconds left and score

2) Bears turn the ball over or otherwise give the ball back to Broncos with more than 20 seconds left and Broncos score.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Which is more likely to happen:

1) Broncos get the ball at the 20 with 20 seconds left and score

2) Bears turn the ball over or otherwise give the ball back to Broncos with more than 20 seconds left and Broncos score.

That's not really the point. The point is that you are trying to win the game without the Broncos getting the ball back at all, but doing it the safest way possible.

So what do people think was the most amazing of Tim Tebow’s many amazing plays today?

Tebow kicking a 59-yard field goal

Tebow ordering the Bears secondary to play no particular attention to sideline routes late in the 4th quarter against a team trailing by a touchdown with no timeouts

Tebow forcing Marion Barber to run out of bounds when staying in bounds would have effectively ended the game

Tebow forcing a Marion Barber fumble

Tebow kicking a 51-yard field goal

So many candidates!

That's not really the point. The point is that you are trying to win the game without the Broncos getting the ball back at all, but doing it the safest way possible.

The point is that you choose the plan of action that carries the highest probability of winning the game.

Knowing that the Bears are 100% running the ball, getting a first down is very unlikely. Just downing the ball and running the clock down leaves less of a chance of Denver scoring than running plays where a turnover or clock stoppage could happen.