Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
It's difficult to believe because this could have been a historical season. Does going undefeated in the regular season mean that they were going to lose in the playoffs? Ask the Patriots? The Patriots faced a nightmare matchup in the Giants ( a team that had a dominant front 4) and still had the lead with only a few minutes left on the clock.

Do you think if the Patriots would have lost in the regular season that they would have won the superbowl? I guess I don't understand the logic.

I don't think you realize the insane amount of pressure teams/players have to endure when the media/fans/other teams/etc. bring up an undefeated season. Rodgers said it best after the post game that he'd rather win the super bowl anyways and he's right. Noone ever talks about a team undefeated regardless of historical circumstance unless they win the whole thing. Hell I still remember Patriot fans crowing that undefeated team as locks for the Lombardi and for a while they looked right as they were winning alot of blowout and close games (they nearly lost to I believe Oakland in one of the later weeks of that season to only rally and beat them) and looked like they had found out ways to win in every sense to prepare them. Neither you nor I knows if losing in the regular season would of had any difference on that team anyways (as you said they were still winning that game, and the ball just happened to bounce the Giants way [or helmet] one way or another). I'll just go by the players who actually play the game at that level when they talk about their mind set/psyche of not having that build up.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
He must have been drunk. You cannot dislocate a vertebrae without massive spinal damage. Tearing abdominal muscle has absolutely nothing to do with spinal damage.

I have to assume your post should have been in green.

Daaamn. ptatc just treated your friend.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
We may not win another game this season.

No way we are beating GB and Minny...it's all on Hanie who is not an NFL QB and the Bears FO for not going after McNabb, he CAN NOT be worse than Hanie.

lol at those who said we'd go 4-2 or 3-3 with Hanie, how 'bout 0-6?

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
It would have been awesome if the Packers went undefeated this year, but the goal is to win the Super Bowl.

Now the Packers need to get healthy.

The Chiefs played a really good game.

It's a blessing in disguise losing, the real goal is to win the SB, now the pressure of going undefeated is out the window and the Pack can concentrate on HFA and getting to the Big Show again.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)

Will you give that same LOL to everyone who wanted to sign Forte to a big contract because he never got hurt? That 4-2 or 3-3 was predicated on not losing the RB who was having an MVP level season himself.

With the schedule we had coming up I thought 3-3 was very possible. It was. I had no idea how bad Hanie would be. He's so bad that he loses games for us, he's not unable, he's very stupid AND unable. But even with that, we very much could have beaten the chiefs and broncos and we didn't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Will you give that same LOL to everyone who wanted to sign Forte to a big contract because he never got hurt? That 4-2 or 3-3 was predicated on not losing the RB who was having an MVP level season himself.

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that as soon as Chris Williams went down, Forte's production dropped off a cliff?

Forte wasn't going to do much (and didn't prior to when he got hurt) without Cutler and the threat of a passing game.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
No way we are beating GB and Minny...it's all on Hanie who is not an NFL QB and the Bears FO for not going after McNabb, he CAN NOT be worse than Hanie.

You mean like the Vikings who dumped him for the s*** QB's they have?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
You mean like the Vikings who dumped him for the s*** QB's they have?

I'd take a veteran QB with an uncomplicated playbook of 15-20 plays over an overly complicated playbook in the hands of a QB that shouldn't be playing on an NFL team.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
I'd take a veteran QB with an uncomplicated playbook of 15-20 plays over an overly complicated playbook in the hands of a QB that shouldn't be playing on an NFL team.

So we should have fired Martz once Cutler went down then.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
So we should have fired Martz once Cutler went down then.

I don't think it's Martz' fault that Hanie can't make a simple check-down read. But I do blame him (and Lovie and Angelo) for not having this team prepared post-Cutler. You can give them a couple of games to figure things out, but that was week 4 with absolutely no improvement. Heck, I'd argue Haine has regressed.

And this same s*** would have happened with or without Forte. Fact is the combo of Barber/Bell are performing about as good as Forte would have under the same circumstances, minus Barber losing the Broncos game on a bonehead play.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
Michael McCaskey pissed off the wrong gypsy.

Chris Williams

Gabe Carini

Matt Forte

Jay Cutler

Sam Hurd

Johnny Knox

It's payback for last year's injury free season, we got nailed hard this year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)

thank you

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
I don't think it's Martz' fault that Hanie can't make a simple check-down read. But I do blame him (and Lovie and Angelo) for not having this team prepared post-Cutler. You can give them a couple of games to figure things out, but that was week 4 with absolutely no improvement. Heck, I'd argue Haine has regressed.

And this same s*** would have happened with or without Forte. Fact is the combo of Barber/Bell are performing about as good as Forte would have under the same circumstances, minus Barber losing the Broncos game on a bonehead play.

And Martz apparently never really liked Hanie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)

Forte doesn't have a history of being an oft injured player, almost every NFL player takes time off because of injury, I'm on the "show Forte the money" side.

All RBs need a decent OLine to be effective, only 70's Sweetness and Barry Sanders were great enough to be effective with garbage linemen.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)

It's not Martz's fault. Geez, I'm sick of Bears fans blaming him. He and Mike Tice have had no offensive line to work with, nor have they had competent receivers who have the potential of a average #2 WR. Any Offensive Coordinator in the league would struggle with what the Bears have to work with. It seems as if you don't remember Turner's last year in Chicago. Martz also didn't want Hanie on this team, and he was forced upon him. Blame Angelo on that.

Bears fans would be clamoring for Sean Payton to get fired if he were the offensive coordinator before they blame the man really responsible, Jerry Angelo.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
It's not Martz's fault. Geez, I'm sick of Bears fans blaming him. He and Mike Tice have had no offensive line to work with, nor have they had competent receivers who have the potential of a average #2 WR. Any Offensive Coordinator in the league would struggle with what the Bears have to work with. It seems as if you don't remember Turner's last year in Chicago. Martz also didn't want Hanie on this team, and he was forced upon him. Blame Angelo on that.

Bears fans would be clamoring for Sean Payton to get fired if he were the offensive coordinator before they blame the man really responsible, Jerry Angelo.

Who here is saying Jerry Angelo isn't responsible for this mess? I haven't seen a single person say he has done a good job.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Who here is saying Jerry Angelo isn't responsible for this mess? I haven't seen a single person say he has done a good job.

Where was the discussion in the beginning of the season? Everything throughout the year until today fell on Martz. This has been a flawed roster for a few years now, and the worse thing is, Angelo has yet to plug those holes. Urlacher and Briggs are getting older. Tillman is getting older. They've drafted a million defensive tackles with high picks who are out of the league or close to it. Chris Williams was a bust. They tried to patch up the WR spot. Yet, the story was the same with the fans, "Oh, well the offense is too complicated. Oh well, there should be more bootlegs. Oh well, they're not running the ball enough. Oh well, they're not threatening with the pass enough. They need to get it to the TE's more. They need to get it to Knox more."

How about they need better players and admitting such from the beginning instead of looking at things through rose colored glasses.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Where was the discussion in the beginning of the season? Everything throughout the year until today fell on Martz. This has been a flawed roster for a few years now, and the worse thing is, Angelo has yet to plug those holes. Urlacher and Briggs are getting older. Tillman is getting older. They've drafted a million defensive tackles with high picks who are out of the league or close to it. Chris Williams was a bust. They tried to patch up the WR spot. Yet, the story was the same with the fans, "Oh, well the offense is too complicated. Oh well, there should be more bootlegs. Oh well, they're not running the ball enough. Oh well, they're not threatening with the pass enough. They need to get it to the TE's more. They need to get it to Knox more."

How about they need better players and admitting such from the beginning instead of looking at things through rose colored glasses.

The Angelo discussion has been going on forever.

When those comments come out it is more of people trying to make lemonade with lemons. Every single person who is a bears fan in this thread has blasted Angelo for his various shortcomings and failings in trying to put a team together.

We would all love the team to just get better players. But expecting the Bears to just "get better players" is a lesson in futility

Dead-on. The Bears are actually very similar to the White Sox, as they've failed spectacularly at adapting to the obvious changes in the modern NFL. Running games are almost moot these days. They're still very important. But it's not 1992 anymore. The game is more than ever geared towards the pass. Teams are winning with explosive aerial attacks as their strength, with the running game as more of a supplement. The run no longer sets up the pass. It's the other way around now. The Bears keep going into every season with thrift-shop style offenses in hopes that they run into some luck and that the defense/ST will do what they've done during most of Lovie's tenure.