Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Starting on a playoff team no less

Not starting, but playing significant minutes.

EDIT: I think I might be wrong about this, team website has him listed behind Crabtree on the depth chart. ESPN has him listed as the starting #2 WR. Forgive my potentially erroneous assumption.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
Not starting, but playing significant minutes.

EDIT: I think I might be wrong about this, team website has him listed behind Crabtree on the depth chart. ESPN has him listed as the starting #2 WR. Forgive my potentially erroneous assumption.

If braylon edwards were healthy, Williams wouldn't be a starter. But for tonite at least, he is.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
God I hate watching Tomlin "coach". He is such a miserable coach.

He inherited a roster littered with pro bowlers and Dick LeBeau to run the defense. I think he's done a really good job at keeping the team playing as it should. That's something worthy of some praise; however, I wonder how well he would have done with a different team. I actually give Lovie a lot more credit (and I've never been a big supporter).

So I just downloaded the most recent rosters in madden and here is what they have for the current Bears offense and their overall ratings:

Hanie- 70

Barber- 75

Clutts- 54

Hester- 79 Williams- 76 Bennett- 77

Davis- 78 Spaeth- 68

Webb- 69

E. Williams- 70

Garza-74

Spencer- 81

Louis- 68

So anyone who complained we let Kruetz go and picked up Spencer better eat some crow because without him were looking at an exclusively under 80 offense.

The 49ers defense deserves some credit, but maybe Big Ben needs to stop playing hurt all the time. A couple of those throws he missed were on him and looked to be caused by his ankle injury.

Caleb Hanie is Jon Quinn v2.0. Carves a niche as a backup for a few years, then finally gets thrown into the mix and proves to not be a NFL quarterback and will probably never see the league again. It's possible that Nathan Enderle is worse, but we might as well find out, Hanie can't go back out there.

Gabe Carimi will soon undergo surgery to repair his right knee and the Bears' first-round draft pick is expected to need about four months to rehabilitate.

Carimi, who was injured during the second quarter of the Week 2 game in New Orleans, had arthroscopic surgery on the knee Nov. 11 and the decision has been made for him to have a more involved procedure that should strengthen and tighten his knee, according to an NFL source.

It's expected the right tackle will be ready for full participation well in advance of training camp even though it took three months to reach the decision to have the surgery. Carimi suffered a subluxation of the knee — essentially a dislocation — similar to an injury he suffered during a career as a four-year starter at Wisconsin.

Scouts for two NFL teams told the Tribune they had a yellow medical grade on Carimi entering the draft. Before the Dec. 11 game in Denver, Bears general manager Jerry Angelo acknowledged the Bears had a similar grade on the player they selected with the 29th overall pick.

The scouts for the other teams were clear the medical grade would not have prevented them from drafting Carimi, but that it was an assessment he might require "maintenance" during an NFL career after a decorated run with the Badgers that was capped by him winning the 2010 Outland Trophy as the nation's top lineman.

"We had a concern when he came out," Angelo said. "He dislocated his knee (in college). And we had a medical grade. (It) was a concern, but he played with it. And we've had guys do it and play with it, no more so than a guy gets an ACL, gets his knee repaired and you draft him. As long as he passes your medical filter, you're fine. Most of these guys have something. He had something. He played a ton.

"Nobody flunked him (medically). Sometimes, you get a knee and you say, 'Well, there's a lot of gray' and then you say, 'We don't want to get even close to that.' It wasn't that. His knee was structurally sound, everything was fine."

The Bears used the 14th pick in the 2008 draft on offensive lineman Chris Williams, who had a documented disk issue in his back that led some teams to remove him from their draft boards. Williams had surgery during training camp of his rookie season and has been fine since.

Carimi was selected 15 picks later than Williams, and nearly everyone was in agreement he was the best available offensive tackle at the time. The Bears tried to trade up three slots with the Ravens to ensure they got Carimi.

"In this case, his medical wouldn't have stopped us from taking him higher," Angelo said.

One veteran scout said a yellow medical grade is an indicator of something to watch for but primarily a tiebreaker when it comes to the draft process. If a player had poor character and a yellow grade, that might eliminate him from consideration. Carimi came with high marks and offensive line coach Mike Tice said he was the team's best lineman at the time of the injury.

"Everything is good," Angelo said.

Link

Bill Polian's response to whether or not Peyton will be back with the Colts next season.

"I don't know the answer to that," Polian said, per our Colts Rapid Reporter Tom James. "There are so many variables involved that it's impossible to tell at this point in time. It's our fervent hope that he is. But I couldn't unequivocally give you an answer of yea or nay."

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 03:00 AM)
So I just downloaded the most recent rosters in madden and here is what they have for the current Bears offense and their overall ratings:

Hanie- 70

Barber- 75

Clutts- 54

Hester- 79 Williams- 76 Bennett- 77

Davis- 78 Spaeth- 68

Webb- 69

E. Williams- 70

Garza-74

Spencer- 81

Louis- 68

So anyone who complained we let Kruetz go and picked up Spencer better eat some crow because without him were looking at an exclusively under 80 offense.

Because most here would agree basing your thoughts of a team on Madden rankings is perfectly acceptable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
The 49ers defense deserves some credit, but maybe Big Ben needs to stop playing hurt all the time. A couple of those throws he missed were on him and looked to be caused by his ankle injury.

The problem is that Charlie Batch is the backup, and he would be playing behind the worst OL in the league. Ben holds the ball too long sometimes, but he also takes 15-20 hits a game and keeps on playing.

Tomlin had a hobbling Ben in the game with a minute left and the Steeler's down 17 points. Tomlin truly has no idea what he's doing. His only "coaching" is to stand on the sideline with a blank stare and clap occasionally.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Because most here would agree basing your thoughts of a team on Madden rankings is perfectly acceptable.

Especially since Hanie gets a 70, shows that that list is BS, he is 58 tops.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
The 70 is pretty accurate. The speed he has moves it up a bit, but the dude has no arm and no accuracy.

and if he looks completly lost out there, it'll be like the real Hanie.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
The problem is that Charlie Batch is the backup, and he would be playing behind the worst OL in the league. Ben holds the ball too long sometimes, but he also takes 15-20 hits a game and keeps on playing.

Tomlin had a hobbling Ben in the game with a minute left and the Steeler's down 17 points. Tomlin truly has no idea what he's doing. His only "coaching" is to stand on the sideline with a blank stare and clap occasionally.

Whatever happened to Dennis Dixon?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
Dead-on. The Bears are actually very similar to the White Sox, as they've failed spectacularly at adapting to the obvious changes in the modern NFL. Running games are almost moot these days. They're still very important. But it's not 1992 anymore. The game is more than ever geared towards the pass. Teams are winning with explosive aerial attacks as their strength, with the running game as more of a supplement. The run no longer sets up the pass. It's the other way around now. The Bears keep going into every season with thrift-shop style offenses in hopes that they run into some luck and that the defense/ST will do what they've done during most of Lovie's tenure.

You have to play to the elements though and the Steelers would argue that you don't need a strong aerial attack. Defense and being able to run the football is still very important to winning the superbowl. The Packers had an excellent defense last season to compliment there offense and they didn't take off until they started running the football effictively late last year (obviously they've done well this season without the rush, but in a cold weather, tough game, that rush attack is huge). Heck, the Pats haven't exactly lit the playoff world on fire the past few seasons.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
You have to play to the elements though and the Steelers would argue that you don't need a strong aerial attack. Defense and being able to run the football is still very important to winning the superbowl. The Packers had an excellent defense last season to compliment there offense and they didn't take off until they started running the football effictively late last year (obviously they've done well this season without the rush, but in a cold weather, tough game, that rush attack is huge). Heck, the Pats haven't exactly lit the playoff world on fire the past few seasons.

This is the second time I have seen this reference to the Steelers as being some sort of tough running outfit.

They're not. They are a passing team that kills you with their speed at the WR position.

I don't agree with J4L much, but he's right on this...the NFL is a passing league and the pass sets up the run, not vice versa. You can certainly succeed with a good running game, but you had better have an outstanding defense to go along with that running game. But when you get into the red zone, or if you get behind, watch out, because your running game isn't so valuable anymore.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
This is the second time I have seen this reference to the Steelers as being some sort of tough running outfit.

They're not. They are a passing team that kills you with their speed at the WR position.

I don't agree with J4L much, but he's right on this...the NFL is a passing league and the pass sets up the run, not vice versa. You can certainly succeed with a good running game, but you had better have an outstanding defense to go along with that running game. But when you get into the red zone, or if you get behind, watch out, because your running game isn't so valuable anymore.

See 49ers, San Francisco