2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
Not to pick on you since I say things like this quite often but is there ever a scenario where an NFL team sleeps on an opponent and comes unprepared? With so few games in a season I'd think every opponent is taken seriously. I think the saying only works for fans and gamblers.

The Bears looked totally unprepared against the 49ers for one.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
The Bears looked totally unprepared against the 49ers for one.

But do you really think they lollygagged all week leading up to the game? Coaches were slacking and the players left practice early each day?

Not to pick on you since I say things like this quite often but is there ever a scenario where an NFL team sleeps on an opponent and comes unprepared? With so few games in a season I'd think every opponent is taken seriously. I think the saying only works for fans and gamblers.

In 2004, the Bills were 7th in the NFL in points scored, 8th in the NFL in points allowed, and 6th in point differential. They finished 9-7. They did, however, control their own destiny as they squared off against the Pittsburgh Steelers in week 17 of that season. The Steelers were 14-1, had homefield wrapped up throughout the postseason, and rested their starters. The Bills knew this coming in. The Bills were also one of the hottest teams in the NFL, having won 6 in a row and 8 of 9.

They lost. To be fair, Tommy Maddox was good one time. And it was Willie Parker's coming out party, and he was good for like 3 years. It's still pitiful that a team that had won 8 of 9 lost to a second string team.

You think maybe the Bills slept on the Steelers that game? I do. And I think it happens a lot. You just aren't expecting what you've prepared for all week.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
But do you really think they lollygagged all week leading up to the game? Coaches were slacking and the players left practice early each day?

That's not what I'm saying, maybe it was more of not scouting the opponent enough, I don't know but the 49ers ran a lot of plays that looked like the Bears were totally not expecting, I recall the MNF TV crew also mentioning that.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
That's not what I'm saying, maybe it was more of not scouting the opponent enough, I don't know but the 49ers ran a lot of plays that looked like the Bears were totally not expecting, I recall the MNF TV crew also mentioning that.

That's precisely what I'm saying though. Every team practices just as hard very single week in the NFL. Unexpected results occur when bench players start, folks get injured, opponents come up with out-of-the-norm game plans, etc.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
Wasnt that Kapernicks 1st game as starter? Couldn't that have something to do with it....Cambell was also starting that game so it's no wonder they lost like they did.

Yeah, I remember there were a few people here who thought it was going to be a low scoring game because of that. Turns out that the Bears D couldn't stop the 49ers O to save their lives.

All I'm saying is that I think the Lions aren't not going to show up, the Bears need to play the game as if it were a playoff game since it essentially is and hope the Pack can help us out.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
That's precisely what I'm saying though. Every team practices just as hard very single week in the NFL. Unexpected results occur when bench players start, folks get injured, opponents come up with out-of-the-norm game plans, etc.

Fair enough

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)

I don't buy that for a second. Just because they are pro athletes doesn't mean they aren't human. People take half-assed days at work.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
The Bears often bring out the worst in Chicagoans. Listening to the Score embodies this perfectly, even most of the personalities on there are caricature versions of our fans.

Daaaahhh Beeeaaaarrsssss izzz wuunnnnn fiiiiiiineeee orrrrgggaaannnniiiiiizzzzzaaaaasshhhuuunnn.

I suppose I should have clarified...

I meant that Bears fans shouldn't just assume the win, which is what most seem to be doing. I'm with you and think that very rarely would an NFL team actually "sleep" on another squad.

Worst thing today for Bear fans is getting in the playoffs and staying status quo, they have no chance to win the Super Bowl.............time to dump Lovie and move on. Devin Hester needs let go ASAP.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
Yeah, I don't like you ;)

I never said I like it being this way, I HATE it another wasted year.............same kind of deal as last year as Angelo was shown the door...........a huge positive IMO. ;)

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
Yeah, that's a huge shortcoming of his.

Not the worst shortcoming to have, just means you need a coaching staff that knows he's not a short yardage back, and a short yardage back as a backup.

Not having to take the short yardage hits would extend his career if they ever realized how bad he was at it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Not the worst shortcoming to have, just means you need a coaching staff that knows he's not a short yardage back, and a short yardage back as a backup.

Not having to take the short yardage hits would extend his career if they ever realized how bad he was at it.

Well the Bush injury put a damper on that.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Well the Bush injury put a damper on that.

Then if you don't have any other option (even Bell for some reason) in short yardage...don't call the Forte dive play. If you need 1 yard, use the QB sneak. If you need 2 yards, call a screen. If you want to put the ball in the RB's hands, call a toss sweep to the outside.