Syria

kapkomet

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
like when a country with 7 million German immigrants went to war with Germany twice.

Confrontation with China is a matter of when not if. We don't really need them and soon they won't really need us, once we cross that threshold and China becomes increasingly aggressive something will happen. Probably not open war or anything wild but I seriously doubt we'll be on good terms with China 10 years from now.

There will not be a military war with China. We'll hit their economy, the same way we did with the Soviet Union.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
The Syrian government has spent the last month or so heavily bombing civilian areas in the city of Aleppo, leading to hundreds of civilian casualties including Children. This has provoked virtually zero notice anywhere as far as I can tell.

O’ yah, Balta the whole thing is tragic all the way around.

As Scuds & barrels worth of H.E literally level city blocks… Syrians made a mistake when they forgot to rename themselves “Northeastern Palestinians” or some such. THEN, the global media coverage would explode any time someone came down with diabetes in Aleppo or caught another “Zionist spy” bird in Homs.

(Cue al-Beeb, al-Jazeera, Press.TV, RT headlines: “ZOMG Breaking: Ebbyl Juices just razed Al-Aqsa, turned matza back into gentile-baby blood & planted irresistible gay urges into the heads of our sexy-ass brothers of holy resistance, ay haram!!!!!”………… as Fatah tanzim/AMB, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, PRC, PFLP not to be confused with PFLP-GC, insert alphabet-soup terrorist joint-du-jour, begin to prepare their newest batch of human shields to parade around post-mortem).

Who knows, Syrians could then even leverage out their very own UNRWA or 2 w billiosn euros in aid windfall for their corrupt leaders to bilk Arafat/Abbas style. But I digress.)

Here’s the thing, Balta I’m sure you’re well aware that choosing sides in Syria has come to down to jabhat al-Nusra, ISIS psychos vs. Hezbollah, IRGC, Shabiha, sadrist Iraqi militia fanatics as pawns of the Grand GP Game played by Riyadh, Teheran, Moscow, Ankara, Doha, Dubai. Litmus test time: when even a sorta-kinda sentimental idealist like myself who normally abhors boring politics, starts to acknowledge the really complicated gray areas & defers to realpolitik… you know you’ve got a real scary-ass cluster****.

Not without some good news. Syria fiiinally acknowledged 1000+ tons of sarin, Vx in the process of dismantling – though knowing the parties involved, I’ll believe it when I’ll see it hahaha…. Sounds like maybe some of that used to belong to a fellow mustachioed Baathist dictator once upon the time, ya think? ;)

Not to be outdone, over in Egypt Morsi-appointed al-Sisi suddenly pulled the ol’ switcheroo on his Ikhwan masters. Apparently Sisi has done more in 3 months to clean up Sinai snake-pit than alleged “Zionist stooge” Mubarak did in 30 years. Bravo, General Admiral Such-Strong Big-Man Al-Sisi!

Throw in about couple dozen other horrific conflicts & potential flash-points around the world…..No worries, the utopian ‘World According to Vajayjay’s (Valerie Jarrett, Van Jones) is going to work out splendidly in all its simultaneously chaotic & increasingly Orwellian glory….Say what you will about the PNAC dudes, at least they were acting out of some perceived long-term interest of American hegemonic exceptionalism....right or wrong. Whereas these Alinsky revolutionaries won’t be satisfied until the US of A is knocked down a peg or 10 as it inches ever so closer to the glorious status of Stalinist Paradise that is North Korea. Ok I’m bored again, sorry.

No worries, Balta, Syria is not going to disappear from the news forever. The “best” is still very much ahead: balkanization or more like Somalization…. Few installations near Qom, Arak, natantz, isfahan, w.teheran experiencing, oh shall we say, “totally 124% accidental spontaneous combustions”…. followed by the Twelver Mullahs in Teheran lashing out & doing something reeeeally stupid in the strait of Hormuz ------- and.herre.we.GO!

YKMV

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, here's hoping for peace & joy

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Figured I'd put this in a dedicated thread since it seems like this situation is going to be ramping back up rather than putting it in the general Trump thread

AFP news agency @AFP

#BREAKING Pentagon presenting Syria military options to White House: US official

1:08 PM - 6 Apr 2017

regime change time

Frank Thorp V @frankthorp

Q: Will US organize an international coalition to remove Assad?

TILLERSON: "Those steps are underway..."

1:59 PM - 6 Apr 2017

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
So the guy who criticized striking against Syria and his cronies who cried out against Obama wanting to strike Syria are now all for it? Wtf.

Also said Obama would need Congress' approval.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/don...tary/index.html

Seems there are two objectives...finally showing independence with Russia and a shot across the bow with Xi Jinping in town, and Mattis/McMaster/Tillerson, etc., all together down in Florida.

US showing its militaristic side...with Bannon/Preibus/Conway/Miller being pushed to the side in favor of Kushners and generals.

There's another problem...Syria is going to declare war on the US, and Trump went around both the Congress and United Nations. EDIT: 3rd problem, there were Russians at the air base that was struck. No word on casualties there.

Then again, the way Haley was talking at the UN, this could have been predicted by the tone of her speech and the looks from the Russian ambassador.

It puts Xi Jinping in an interesting position....Trump will push him to come out publicly against Assad, or try to back him into his traditional corner with the Russians (against military action when state/national sovereignty is at issue). Russia and China both felt burned when they abstained from voting in the Security Council when Libya was the crisis of the day and felt tricked by the US.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
So the guy who criticized striking against Syria and his cronies who cried out against Obama wanting to strike Syria are now all for it? Wtf.

He went from a civilian with a Twitter account to the most powerful man in the world so quickly and faces this f***ed up situation in Syria. For all his bulls*** and flip flopping, those tweets seem like one of the last places to point fingers IMO.