The Official Thread for Joe Cowley and his Agenda.

Jack Parkman

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
Mariotti started believing his act when he went national with ESPN. Cowley isn't at that point - yet.

You're half right, he's not national. But he's clearly pulling the same crappy act, because otherwise he wouldn't be stupid enough to write things on Twitter that would get an ordinary reporter fired.

Cowley outworked the other reporters on the Sox beat (not like that is a difficult task sadly), had better sources, better stories. He knows the newspaper business is dying ans seems to me to be positioning himself as a personality, trying to land a gig in sports radio.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
Cowley outworked the other reporters on the Sox beat (not like that is a difficult task sadly), had better sources, better stories. He knows the newspaper business is dying ans seems to me to be positioning himself as a personality, trying to land a gig in sports radio.

Maybe back in the day. Any more, if it didn't come from Ozzie, Joe didn't get it

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)

What has the Sun Times broken in the last few years from those better sources?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 06:54 PM)
What has the Sun Times broken in the last few years from those better sources?

Cowley documented the level of dislike between Guillen and Williams.

Cowley wasn't the sideshow he's become with his twitter persona when he began reporting on the rift between Guillen and Williams. If he was he'd probably would have sided with Williams because he would get much more attention (local and national) if he was known as the guy who always yanked Guillen's chain.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
Cowley documented the level of dislike between Guillen and Williams.

Cowley wasn't the sideshow he's become with his twitter persona when he began reporting on the rift between Guillen and Williams. If he was he'd probably would have sided with Williams because he would get much more attention (local and national) if he was known as the guy who always yanked Guillen's chain.

The reason I don't think his is completely an act is because Mariotti would have flipped sides at some point during this. Joe never has.

Kenny Williams challenged Greg Walker to a fight last year but cooler heads prevailed.

National headlines with that breaking TMZ-ish gossip.

What legitimate or credible writer has a nickname for himself? Even that, he copied the concept from AJ Pierzynski's pro wrestling forays.

This must have started when he saw how much national attention that JET BLUE flight attendant who initiated the emergency evacuation system and slid out of the plane got and decided it would be cool to emulate the anti-airlines bashing crowd.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
He was great in his Southtown days. Since he channeled Kotex-Boy he sucks.

He sucked even back then. I remember disliking him because he always seemed like he was either trying to stir s*** up or spreading gossip. I think everyone around the Sox felt sorry for him when he got cancer and overlooked a lot of his bulls***.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-m...s-from-twitter/

Cowley, always having to get the last word, took the time to mention how handsome he is, what life is like in first class, bashed Title IX, and told Sloane to “hottie up that pic.” In other words, he was far from the paragon of professionalism and virtue. And his relentless self-aggrandizement doesn’t reek of over-compensation for perceived insecurities. No, not at all. Not one bit.

In short, it looks like the age of social media is about to self-inflict damage on the career of another journalist who’s going to be missing some work, and not by choice. And that Cowley has become that new extremely hated figure- replacing the now banished Jay Mariotti.

Paul M. Banks is CEO of The Sports Bank.net, an official Google News site generating millions of unique visitors. He’s also a regular contributor to Chicago Now, Walter Football.com, Yardbarker, MSN and Fox Sports

A Fulbright scholar and MBA, Banks has appeared on live radio all over the world; and he’s a member of the Football Writers Association of America, U.S. Basketball Writers Association, and Society of Professional Journalists. The President of the United States follows him on Twitter (@Paul_M_BanksTSB) You should too.

Edited by caulfield12

Just read Deadspin. Very well done. A blog site built on satire doesn't get satire. Maybe I can e-mail a QB penis picture into them now.

22 hours ago

Standing room only in the media closet at the Berto Center. So this is what a team's playoff funeral looks like.

BREAKING NEWS: Rose ACL is still torn. More to come.

Been a long time since I've used my medical background to sketch an injury ... might be time to dust off the notepad.

RT @willbrinson: Creating a parody account for @cst_cowley would be amusing. Unfortunately it would also be redundant.

23 hours ago

Someone hit him with the following, lol...

The Scorpion and the Frog is a fable about a scorpion asking a frog to carry him across a river. The frog is afraid of being stung during the trip, but the scorpion argues that if it stung the frog, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog agrees and begins carrying the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When asked why, the scorpion points out that this is its nature. The fable is used to illustrate the position that the behaviour of some creatures is irrepressible, no matter how they are treated and no matter what the consequences.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 11:50 PM)
Just read Deadspin. Very well done. A blog site built on satire doesn't get satire. Maybe I can e-mail a QB penis picture into them now.

22 hours ago

Standing room only in the media closet at the Berto Center. So this is what a team's playoff funeral looks like.

BREAKING NEWS: Rose ACL is still torn. More to come.

Been a long time since I've used my medical background to sketch an injury ... might be time to dust off the notepad.

RT @willbrinson: Creating a parody account for @cst_cowley would be amusing. Unfortunately it would also be redundant.

23 hours ago

Someone hit him with the following, lol...

The Scorpion and the Frog is a fable about a scorpion asking a frog to carry him across a river. The frog is afraid of being stung during the trip, but the scorpion argues that if it stung the frog, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog agrees and begins carrying the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When asked why, the scorpion points out that this is its nature. The fable is used to illustrate the position that the behaviour of some creatures is irrepressible, no matter how they are treated and no matter what the consequences.

Ironically enough, I believe he actually tweeted a shortened version of this a month ago in a series of 3-4 tweets as a justification for why he writes negative things about the Sox. How apropos.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-04...iams-joe-cowley

Whatever happened to THIS version of Joe Cowley, before he became a parody or satire of himself? And no matter what you say about Jerry Manuel, the guy's an outstanding human being.

The morning after the surgery, Cowley picked up the phone and heard these words: "What are you doing, Cowley? Get up. I'm going to call you every day until you get back on your feet."

It was former (Sox manager Jerry) Manuel. Sure enough, Manuel called every day until Cowley went home.

But the worst news was yet to come. Doctors found traces of cancer in Cowley's bone marrow, giving him a cure rate of 50 percent.

He was at Stage 4, the most serious of all. And his faith was starting to waver.

"That's when Molle gave me a big speech, like Adrian and Rocky (in the movie)," Cowley said. "She said: `You've been a fighter your whole life. You have another fight. And you can't quit.'

"That sunk in and I said: `That's it. This is not going to be the end of me.'"

In early December, Cowley shaved his head in front of his son, Aidan. He and Molle wanted to be open with him, and now it feels better when Aidan kisses him on the head and says, "You're getting better."

Cowley, who has lost 17 pounds, down to 158, recently completed his sixth and final round of chemotherapy. His fifth was by far the roughest, as doctors administered shots to stimulate the white blood cells inside his bone marrow.

"It felt like a giant picked me up and squeezed me and cracked every bone," he said. "Molle had to help me up the stairs for two days. You just lay in bed and look at the clock and want time to go by. You're in and out of sleep like a bad nightmare."

But the nightmare appears to be over. Cowley accomplished his goal of covering Opening Day, and his most recent CT scan showed no signs of cancer.

Like Lance Armstrong, Cowley believes cancer survivors are the "lucky ones."

"I have a perspective I never imagined," he said, "and that's what I'm thankful for. This has made me a lot better person, a better husband, a better father."

But his writing won't change. Cowley is sure to rankle Williams again this season with a story about a contract dispute or a failed trade.

"When it comes to the job, I'm still in attack mode," Cowley said. "It's not like I get cancer and become some docile, hippie peace child or something. But at the end of the day, you let things go. All that matters is your family."

Cowley was involved in a very similar sexist taunt just one month ago about a Matt Forte article written by GASP a female sportswriter/blogger/columnist who dared to question his opinion. What seemed to really upset him the most was his last name being spelled Crowley instead of Cowley.

http://deadspin.com/5906139/joe-cowley-the...r-keep-him-down

http://playerperspective.com/nfc-north/chi...tt-forte-elite/

Here's the article the woman had written disparaging his Forte column.

It seems Cowley had a signature sign off for those he was through antagonizing: "Now cue my damn music..[link to a video from the fuc---- Karate Kid.]"

Kid next to me looks like "Short Round." Think I'll give him a dollar to say to me, " You cheat, Dr. Jones!" #firstclassproblems. cst_Cowley ...

获取过去 24 小时内的更多结果

So, to summarize, Cowley has managed to offend:

1) Female pilots, female flight attendants (Squatches or Sasquatches) and more or less all airlines crew members

2) Female sportswriters/bloggers

3) All females in general

4) All Asians in general

Just in the span of 24 hours. He's doing well in his plans to emulate Ozzie and clan in every way.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 03:11 AM)
Cowley was involved in a very similar sexist taunt just one month ago about a Matt Forte article written by GASP a female sportswriter/blogger/columnist who dared to question his opinion. What seemed to really upset him the most was his last name being spelled Crowley instead of Cowley.

http://deadspin.com/5906139/joe-cowley-the...r-keep-him-down

http://playerperspective.com/nfc-north/chi...tt-forte-elite/

Here's the article the woman had written disparaging his Forte column.

It seems Cowley had a signature sign off for those he was through antagonizing: "Now cue my damn music..[link to a video from the fuc---- Karate Kid.]"

Kid next to me looks like "Short Round." Think I'll give him a dollar to say to me, " You cheat, Dr. Jones!" #firstclassproblems. cst_Cowley ...

获取过去 24 小时内的更多结果

So, to summarize, Cowley has managed to offend:

1) Female pilots, female flight attendants (Squatches or Sasquatches) and more or less all airlines crew members

2) Female sportswriters/bloggers

3) All females in general

4) All Asians in general

Just in the span of 24 hours. He's doing well in his plans to emulate Ozzie and clan in every way.

It amazes me that this guy covers this stuff all of the time. He sees the blowback when athletes do it. But somehow he thinks he is immune, and can make racist, sexist, and any other type of jokes he wants to.

It is funny that everytime someone dares to contradict Cowley, he flips it into "I'm the only one who does all the work around here" and insults the person who disagreed with him. Hmmm, he sure "acts" insecure