2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5444853.story

Humber or Santiago will be inserted into rotation if Floyd fails next time out...seems that way, at least.

Hopefully Santiago, although that's a LOT of pressure on a rookie. After all, we got rid of Hudson after JUST 3 starts in the heat of a pennant race that was only in June/July, and only one of his starts was "bad" by any definition.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
Ok so i'm not sure where to put this but it does involve an ex-Sox, Nick Swisher.

Deadspin has been running a Q&A with an anonymous sports PR guy this afternoon. He's made contributions before but since he's anonymous who knows the validity.

Anyways, I just found the following question and answer humorous since Swish has been kind of a contentious topic here and how he got along with his teammates

Q: Best athlete feud we don't know about

A: Nick Swisher and his teammates

Link is here by the way. Some pretty interesting stuff throughout the rest of it too

The answer to the athlete feud question was actually Swisher and his Yankees teammates. However, I would imagine it might have been the same when he was with the Sox. I still think a lot of his problems were with Ozzie.

On a side note, I guess most of what was in that interview is not surprising. But it just sucks to see it in writing. It's definitely not a surprise to me that the worst athletes are the NBA players. It's disheartening to read that all of this guy's married clients cheat, but again, I guess it's not surprising.

On a side note, I guess most of what was in that interview is not surprising. But it just sucks to see it in writing. It's definitely not a surprise to me that the worst athletes are the NBA players. It's disheartening to read that all of this guy's married clients cheat, but again, I guess it's not surprising.

I think it's easy for us to sit here and judge, but I can say that if I were famous and spent that many nights a year away from home, not cheating would not be as easy as it is now.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
I think it's easy for us to sit here and judge, but I can say that if I were famous and spent that many nights a year away from home, not cheating would not be as easy as it is now.

No, I can sit here and judge all I want...all of us can. These professional athletes are in the spotlight whether they like it or not. It comes with the territory. Resisting the temptation to cheat would be harder if you were away for a big part of the year, but these guys make a conscious choice to cheat. You or I or anyone else can make that choice, too but most of us don't. It's just too bad that so many of them (most as it sounds) make that choice. If they don't like the constant attention and speculation, don't get married, don't have a family. Because it's the ones at home that get hurt the most.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
In regular season play, #WhiteSox improve to 228-34 when hitting a grand slam (266th grand slam; they've hit 2 GS in 4 games); 28-1 last 29

How does that compare to other teams? That seems like a pretty poor record actually. A grand slam puts 4 runs on the board and it seems to me you should win an extremly high percentage of those games. I guess that it might mean that you are involved in a "slugfest" in which the other team scores a lot of runs too.

Unless the Tigers adjust their rotation by skipping a starter on their August 27 off day, the Sox will miss Verlander in the first series. If they don't make any adjustments in the offdays they have after that series on September 6, he will also miss the second series. Or, if they don't skip, he will have to pitch on 3 day's rest.

I can't imagine that Leyland is that dumb not to get Verlander into each series. He has been beyond dominant against the White Sox.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Unless the Tigers adjust their rotation by skipping a starter on their August 27 off day, the Sox will miss Verlander in the first series. If they don't make any adjustments in the offdays they have after that series on September 6, he will also miss the second series. Or, if they don't skip, he will have to pitch on 3 day's rest.

I can't imagine that Leyland is that dumb not to get Verlander into each series. He has been beyond dominant against the White Sox.

They already skipped Sanchez once to let Fister pitch (when he blew that 5-0 lead to BAL :headbang ). I could see them skipping Sanchez next Tuesday, then having Verlander pitch Tuesday, then Sunday vs. the Sox on Sunday night baseball.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
If the Royals rotation stays static, guess what three pitchers we face in early September?

You guessed it.

Mendoza

Chen

Guthrie

I'd run all of our call ups out there. Why not, it isn't like they would do worse.

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 05:44 AM)
Great stuff?

I feel like never watching another sporting event, in all seriousness.

I am disgusted.

It is disgusting how pro athletes live a different life and cheat, cheat cheat. I know one non athlete who cheats regularly, whenever he travels and even when he goes to the bar without his wife of course. He'll pick up waitresses, others. He said he got married because he knew she'd be a great mother and he wanted a family but he always knew he'd cheat with other women.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)

It's a conscious decision. Guys either are loyal to their wives or they are on the prowl for other women. They should have asked the PR guy if the players who cheat have unprotected sex. Are they that dumb? I'd say some probably have unprotected sex which is really unfair to the wives who are getting cheated on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
I'd run all of our call ups out there. Why not, it isn't like they would do worse.

Not a bad idea. I don't think we can survive losing 5 of our final six vs. KC.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
Sox record combined this season vs. the Yankees, Rangers, and Rays: 13-5

(If you wanna add Baltimore and Oakland -- neither legit as far as I'm concerned) 17-11

Sox record against the third place teams in the AL (BOS, ANA, KCR) 9-16. What a strange team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Sox record against the third place teams in the AL (BOS, ANA, KCR) 9-16. What a strange team.

Bodes well if they make the playoffs I suppose?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 01:04 AM)
Thats great man, great read. I like how 80% of the questions have to do with sex or sexuality, really tells you where most peoples minds are.

I also like how he calls Lebron a douche and says he likes Jay Cutler. Awesome.

I don't really see how this is contradictory or anything. The gap between perception and reality on Cutler is pretty wide. He's supposedly a "douche," a "prima donna," a "crybaby," all those things but he hasn't done any of that once since coming to Chicago.