The Avengers/Marvel Comics thread

caulfield12

"Debuting in the Bronze Age of comic books, the character has featured in over three decades of Marvel continuity and a self-titled series. The character's name is a derivation of _________, the personification of death and mortality in Greek mythology. One of his more prominent storylines to date-the Infinity Gauntlet series-portrayed him as a mad cosmic tyrant bent on slaying half of all sentiences existing then in Marvel's multiverse in order to appease the Marvel Universe's actual (and more powerful) embodied personification of Death in an attempt to win its love."

movieweb.com

http://clatl.com/screengrab/archives/2012/...en-the-avengers

SPOILER QUESTIONS ANSWERED...DO NOT READ IF YOU'VE YET TO SEE THE MOVIE

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/05/avengers...plained-thanos/

Even more detailed...

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For reals though, this movie was so awesome. I almost passed out during the big fight in New York City. I was on geek over load.

Also Mark Ruffalo was awesome as the Hulk. I've only seen him in one other movie, so I was unsure how he was gonna be.

The last scene in the recent Transformers movie and this one in NY felt so similar...but this one, you could actually be a bit more emotionally involved because the backstory of the characters was developed so fully.

Then again, I'm not 100% convinced that Hawkeye and Black Widow are ready for their own separate stand-alone movies. They seem consigned to secondary status in the group, comparatively. Definitely thought Ruffalo was great, but in limited dosages...and with the Bana/Lee and Norton versions already out there in the last decade, there's probably not quite enough demand built-up but it will be a big temptation to resist with how much Avengers is going to rake in globally and with Thor, Iron Man and Captain America sequels already in the pipeline.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
The last scene in the recent Transformers movie and this one in NY felt so similar...but this one, you could actually be a bit more emotionally involved because the backstory of the characters was developed so fully.

Then again, I'm not 100% convinced that Hawkeye and Black Widow are ready for their own separate stand-alone movies. They seem consigned to secondary status in the group, comparatively. Definitely thought Ruffalo was great, but in limited dosages...and with the Bana/Lee and Norton versions already out there in the last decade, there's probably not quite enough demand built-up but it will be a big temptation to resist with how much Avengers is going to rake in globally and with Thor, Iron Man and Captain America sequels already in the pipeline.

Johansson supposedly doesn't want her own stand alone based on how difficult the stunts in this one were.

All versions of the Punisher and Ghost Rider were critical and commercial flops, so I am not sure that is where Marvel wants to set the bar.

I would be interested if they could do the prequel of Hawkeye and Black Widow where it is explained exactly how Hawkeye saved her life and a debt was levied

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 7, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
All versions of the Punisher and Ghost Rider were critical and commercial flops, so I am not sure that is where Marvel wants to set the bar.

Serious Q:

The first Ghost Rider was a commercial flop and someone still funded a 2nd one?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Serious Q:

Pretty sure it was contractual.

edit: Im wrong, the first one did well, despite the Razzie, and becoming quite the rotten tomato "favorite"

everything else, all punishers and the second Ghost rider were flops

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Serious Q:

Big comic nerd right here.

The way it works if I understand correctly is that Columbia pictures had to get a Ghost Rider movie out because if they didn't the rights would revert back to Marvel after a few years. The Punisher has gone back to Marvel. Marvel doesn't outright own Spider-Man (Sony), the X-Men franchise, Fantastic Four, & Daredevil (the last three being Fox). Fox has folks working on a Daredevil and FF reboot scripts, as well as a Wolverine movie and X-Men First Class II. Spider-Man reboot as most probably know will be released later this year. Marvel will probably never get the Fox characters back outright, but Sony is in so much trouble right now (financially) Spider-Man is not impossible for the future.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
I liked the Ghost Rider movie.

It wasn't in Spider-Man 1 or 2 or Iron Man territory, but it was pretty good.

You must set the bar very low going into movies, Ghost Rider is an amazing character and those movies were beyond terrible. But, anything Nic Cage does outside of National Treasure in recent memory has been bad so had to expect it.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
Jane

If you rename it anything else and change Frank Castle's name, it is just a revenge movie. Very tame for the Punisher.

Ghost Rider was just silly, and it isn't supposed to be silly. It is supposed to be dark and twisted.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)

I don't see why they would hesitate at all with another Hulk movie. If anything, the Avengers movie will have people wanting more and more of all the characters, and IMO, Hulk stole the show in Avengers. Ruffalo was awesome. I agree on Hawkeye and Black Widow though. A prequel? Maybe. But I'm not all that interested in a movie where either is the main character.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 7, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
I don't see why they would hesitate at all with another Hulk movie. If anything, the Avengers movie will have people wanting more and more of all the characters, and IMO, Hulk stole the show in Avengers. Ruffalo was awesome. I agree on Hawkeye and Black Widow though. A prequel? Maybe. But I'm not all that interested in a movie where either is the main character.

I don't need to see Hawkeye or Black Widow get their own movie, although I wouldn't be opposed to it. Hawkeye is from Waverly, Iowa so being from my home state I'd definitely support seeing that, haha.

It sounds like Marvel has signed Mark Ruffalo to 5 more upcoming movies. Everyone can pretty much book the Avengers 2 and 3. I've heard he might be in Ironman 3, along with getting his own new Hulk movie. Which leaves 1 more movie opening.

The character at the end of the movie, Thanos, is rumored to be in Thor 2 in November of 2013! Can't wait!

$207 million in 1 weekend is completely awesome. It'll be interesting to see what Dark Knight Rises will be able to do.

Edited by WilliamTell

Can someone explain to me exactly what the aliens were and why they were helping Loki (besides the obvious fact that Earth was a stepping stone to greater things for them)?

Also,

Selvig wasn't completely under Loki's spell? He built in an emergency stop to the portal because of it?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:30 PM)
Can someone explain to me exactly what the aliens were and why they were helping Loki (besides the obvious fact that Earth was a stepping stone to greater things for them)?

Also,

Selvig wasn't completely under Loki's spell? He built in an emergency stop to the portal because of it?

As I understood it, the trade was that Loki would get the Tesseract for the unknown alien (Thanos) if Thanos supplied the army and Loki opened the Portal from Earth. The Tesseract was the Bargaining hip.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 7, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
I don't need to see Hawkeye or Black Widow get their own movie, although I wouldn't be opposed to it. Hawkeye is from Waverly, Iowa so being from my home state I'd definitely support seeing that, haha.

It sounds like Marvel has signed Mark Ruffalo to 5 more upcoming movies. Everyone can pretty much book the Avengers 2 and 3. I've heard he might be in Ironman 3, along with getting his own new Hulk movie. Which leaves 1 more movie opening.

The character at the end of the movie, Thanos, is rumored to be in Thor 2 in November of 2013! Can't wait!

$207 million in 1 weekend is completely awesome. It'll be interesting to see what Dark Knight Rises will be able to do.

I'm amped about a Mark Ruffalo Hulk. He captured the tortured soul aspect really, really well.

What about Black Widow or Hawkeye in a combo movie with Fury?

QUOTE (knightni @ May 8, 2012 -> 01:58 AM)
Waiting to see if DC tries a Superman reboot, then a Wonder Woman film, leading up to a JLA film.

Superman - Batman - Wonder Woman - Aquaman - Green Lantern - Flash

Now that might be interesting.

I don't see it being half as good, mainly because of how Marvel's heroes look at their powers as a blessing and curse half the time. While Thor isn't the best, he's like Superman, at least he's not invincible.

Superman? Invincible except to a rock from a blown up planet.

Batman? We're good there.

Wonder Woman? Amazon princess who's power and weakness is...bondage.

Aquaman...fish.

Green Lantern: Wasn't that film terrible?

Flash? RUN FAST.

The Marvel heroes (aside from Cap and the Fantastic Four) aren't celebrated. They have s*** to deal with.

It always seemed to me like the JLA was like "We're loved! There are no drawbacks to our powers!" aside from Batman.

Edited by Quinarvy