It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to accept that Hawk isn't going anywhere, but I could do without the silence when the Sox are doing bad. If I want to watch a tantrum, I have three kids who can take care of that for me. I just wish there was a strong voice who had the guts to tell Hawk to cut out the nonsense that doesn't work. He forces catchphrases too much, and I just wish someone would say, "Hawk, (fill in the blank) sounds really dumb and we don't want you to do it anymore."

Be careful what you wish for when it comes to announcers. I always thought Mark Grace would be good because he has a good personality and I've been entertained when I heard him in interviews, but he is really boring and cookie cutter as announcer.

Hawk is unique, and even though I suspect he's not a great guy (based on the way he's treated Wimpy, DJ and Stone), at least he tries to be entertaining.

Now, let's all pitch in and buy him some polident, because he's reached the point where it sounds like his teeth are going to fall out when he opens his mouth.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm willing to accept that Hawk isn't going anywhere, but I could do without the silence when the Sox are doing bad. If I want to watch a tantrum, I have three kids who can take care of that for me. I just wish there was a strong voice who had the guts to tell Hawk to cut out the nonsense that doesn't work. He forces catchphrases too much, and I just wish someone would say, "Hawk, (fill in the blank) sounds really dumb and we don't want you to do it anymore."

Be careful what you wish for when it comes to announcers. I always thought Mark Grace would be good because he has a good personality and I've been entertained when I heard him in interviews, but he is really boring and cookie cutter as announcer.

Hawk is unique, and even though I suspect he's not a great guy (based on the way he's treated Wimpy, DJ and Stone), at least he tries to be entertaining.

Now, let's all pitch in and buy him some polident, because he's reached the point where it sounds like his teeth are going to fall out when he opens his mouth.

Very legitimate point about Mark Grace. Very little redeeming qualities on that end.

DJ and Farmer are awful. That semi homoerotic flirtation between the two of them during the broadcast makes me want to puke in my mouth.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
In the end, I watch lots of Sox games by myself. Hawk is like my old buddy watching the game with me. Sometimes he says things I don't agree with, are silly, or predictable. More often, though, I feel good knowing I have a guy who is at least as invested as me if not more and is not afraid to show it.

I can rally behind this.

I grew up thinking Hawk was the most awesome thing ever and even still, some of his one-liners are great and I concede there's nobody else like him. However in the past few years, on a day by day basis, he's intolerable, boring, and at times embarrassing and on MLB.tv ill mute the game, and it was so painful to listen to him when they played the Twins I'd actually listen to the Twins broadcast... It was that bad.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 06:54 AM)
I grew up thinking Hawk was the most awesome thing ever and even still, some of his one-liners are great and I concede there's nobody else like him. However in the past few years, on a day by day basis, he's intolerable, boring, and at times embarrassing and on MLB.tv ill mute the game, and it was so painful to listen to him when they played the Twins I'd actually listen to the Twins broadcast... It was that bad.

Kind of how I feel about you on my Facebook feed, sometimes you need to be muted, too. ;)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 06:54 AM)

I'm awful with words, but this sums up what I have been trying to say the whole time.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
The bulls seemed to have done well with replacing Johnny red Kerr.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
WHAT ARE YOU DOING DRAGIC?!?!

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)
DO YOU KNOW HOW TO POST VIDEOS TO FACEBOOK?!?!?

With a guy who spouts his own taglines... Well done.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
I'm awful with words, but this sums up what I have been trying to say the whole time.

I don't understand the disapproval of Hawk. Like tonight's game. I watched most of it and the innings just fly by because he and Stone just talk. They don't "announce" and sound like professional enunciators. They just talk to me the Sox fan. I think he's great. And I think Stone is great too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)
I don't understand the disapproval of Hawk. Like tonight's game. I watched most of it and the innings just fly by because he and Stone just talk. They don't "announce" and sound like professional enunciators. They just talk to me the Sox fan. I think he's great. And I think Stone is great too.

I think you're great.

I think we can all agree that whether you're a Hawk fan or not, he's DEFINITELY done more for us over the years and years as SOX fans than...well anything, stupid Steve948...675, 3-Oh 9eee9iiiee9in.. has done..including this dips*** thread.

It must be said - Steve must go.

Why?

Cuz f*** STEVE for dissing the Hawk, that's why.

Hawk rulez!!! :headbang

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 6, 2013 -> 01:58 AM)
I think we can all agree that whether you're a Hawk fan or not, he's DEFINITELY done more for us over the years and years as SOX fans than...well anything, stupid Steve948...675, 3-Oh 9eee9iiiee9in.. has done..including this dips*** thread.

It must be said - Steve must go.

Why?

Cuz f*** STEVE for dissing the Hawk, that's why.

Hawk rulez!!! :headbang

LOL

I remember when I first realized Hawk didn't know how to properly evaluate White Sox players: He was GUSHING over Jeff Liefer saying he would be a great hitter given 500 AB's. Might have even said he could hit 30 HR's.

Hawk was gospel to me at that point (I wanna say this was sometime in 2002.. maybe) it's been a slow decline since then. With not only player evaluation but calling a baseball game too.

I think Hawk and Stone evaluate players the exact same way and I almost always agree. Spot on IMO. They recognize intangible tools and it's a delight hearin them complement other teams' players.

Of course the rehashed stuff bothers ya, that's not a new or insightful observation. Everyone feels that way. Quit thinking selfishly because it's for the kid who hasn't heard about keeping his butt down or the late teenager trying to hit curveballs.

I just take the bad with all the good because I know I'm gonna miss the hell outa him when he goes.

Can this thread be deleted so those of us that can still tolerate Hawk don't have to see this thread title everyday? Or at least change the title to "I've lost that loving feeling".

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
I think Hawk and Stone evaluate players the exact same way and I almost always agree. Spot on IMO. They recognize intangible tools and it's a delight hearin them complement other teams' players.

Of course the rehashed stuff bothers ya, that's not a new or insightful observation. Everyone feels that way. Quit thinking selfishly because it's for the kid who hasn't heard about keeping his butt down or the late teenager trying to hit curveballs.

I just take the bad with all the good because I know I'm gonna miss the hell outa him when he goes.

Can this thread be deleted so those of us that can still tolerate Hawk don't have to see this thread title everyday? Or at least change the title to "I've lost that loving feeling".

I agree with all of this, but deleting the thread would be anti-SoxTalk and maybe even worse, so I propose that all negative comments re: Hawk Harrelson should be routed by the mods to the latest attendance thread so that way I don't have to see any of them since I don't ever open those threads and read that crap anyway. And then we could change the name of the thread, maybe something like "Your What Hurts?!" would do.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
Just remember, lots of people give those players paychecks too. Hawk gets paychecks to say nice things about them.

And Hawk will at least rip a player now and then. Ranger Rongey stuck up for Ohman right up until the very day of his release/DFA/whatever it was, basically saying his average of 6 ER per pitch thrown or whatever didn't really cost the team since anyone else who would have been in that role would have been just as worse. This is the Linebrink Defense IIRC, and Hawk doesn't go that far. He's just a nice guy, a real Southern gentleman.