White Sox draft Courtney Hawkins OF out of Carroll HS (TX)

knightni

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was seven outfielders taken in the first round.

Buxton, Almora, Hawkins, DJ Davis and Lewis Brinson, plus collegiate outfielders Roache and Naquin.

Who knows how they will all turn out, that's the thing that drives you crazy about baseball drafting and scouting (especially prep players), compared to the more refined NFL and NBA prospects (although that's definitely changed with so many high schoolers coming out in the 1st round).

With the 13th-overall pick the White Sox selected high school outfielder Courtney Hawkins from Carroll High in Corpus Christi, Texas. This is the first time the White Sox have gone with a high school player in the first round since 2001.

Hawkins stands 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds. He's a freak athlete who fits the power-hitting right field profile to a T. He shows excellent power potential and a strong arm, as he's also been up to 95 mph off the mound. Hawkins is playing in the Texas high school semi-finals this week.

The highlight of my spring was Hawkins doing a backflip at USA Baseball's National High School Invitation. Watch the video here.

baseballamerica.com

KW, in the contract, an insurance rider...no back-flips!!

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2854895.story

Had no idea that Hawkins weighed an eye-popping 270 as a 13 year old. Talk about "Tanks, Jr." there.

Has a brother that plays football at Texas State that helped him get in great shape.

KW has already asked him not to do any more backflips. We'll see how long that lasts. The fans love it, but dangerous. Always think about Kendrys Morales now when a player does something celebratory. And he just has a LOT more mass to his body than Ozzie Smith to be doing backflips and risk tearing up an ankle or knee.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)

Barnum killing a ball in his junior year

He was also swinging a wooden bat just before his 8th grade year! There's a youtube video of him hitting a homer off a wooden bat when he was in elementary school.

2012 Draft Pick: Courtney Hawkins, RF, Carroll HS (TX)

So much for pitching.

At 6'2", 200 pounds Hawkins is quite possibly the best athlete in the entire draft.

He has incredible strength already, which will translate to power down the line. He is a sound centerfielder that has terrific speed despite weighing 200 pounds. Hawkins did a back-flip for the MLB Network cameras to show us all how athletic he really is.

As long as he can cut down on his whiffs, this is a premiere slugger in the making.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1202917...ch-team/page/14

Edited by caulfield12

The baseball draft bores me. Call me in 5 years and we'll know if this guy can play.

C.J. Henry went No. 15 overall to the Yankees one year and quite possibly might be the worst player in organized baseball history. It only took him 3-4 years to leave the game completely. He was "five tool."

Luke Hochevar No. 1 overall? My god.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
The baseball draft bores me. Call me in 5 years and we'll know if this guy can play.

C.J. Henry went No. 15 overall to the Yankees one year and quite possibly might be the worst player in organized baseball history. It only took him 3-4 years to leave the game completely. He was "five tool."

Nice to see you too!

But, really, worst player in organized baseball history? I mean, he wasn't good, but a .649 career OPS isn't the worst.

You really think he was worse than this guy?

2 examples? I'm sold. MLB draft sucks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)

Wow, what a totally unnecessary downer.