2012 Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
Saw Tony Parker blow right by US defenders a couple times today. That doesn't happen if the '92 team has Pippen or Jordan guarding him.

Tony Parker is also far better than anyone the 92 team faced.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
Far better than Drazen Petrovic? Not a chance.

Parker was 2nd team All NBA this season. Not a chance is a ridiculously false statement, but thanks for being over dramatic.

Tony Parker is also far better than anyone the 92 team faced.

Right, but Tony Parker isn't any better than the best NBA guards from the 90s and Jordan/Pippen shut all them down.

My point is that defense is where the '92 team owns the '12 team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Right, but Tony Parker isn't any better than the best NBA guards from the 90s and Jordan/Pippen shut all them down.

My point is that defense is where the '92 team owns the '12 team.

I agree, but I was just making the easy counter point there. The level of competition is what makes it tougher to judge.

Why does NBC tell you the results of events they haven't aired yet that night? Kind of defeats the purpose of putting things in prime time so people can watch. It's one thing if you go to the website or look elsewhere and find it, but to say it on the same network it's on later that night?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
NBC is streaming everything on their site if you sign up.

Not from what I can tell. Pretty sure you have to a cable plan, which I do not. f***ing Blows. I'd pay to be able to stream it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 06:40 AM)
World and European champion Spain is already eliminated from the soccer tournament after losing their first two games.

Men's Olympic soccer is under-23 teams, with 3 older exceptions. Spain losing to Honduras is a huge upset, but it's not the World/Euro champion team, it's mostly different players.

The tourney format sucks too. Asia & Africa have the same amount of teams as Europe, and twice as many as South America. That just leads to crappy soccer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Men's Olympic soccer is under-23 teams, with 3 older exceptions. Spain losing to Honduras is a huge upset, but it's not the World/Euro champion team, it's mostly different players.

The tourney format sucks too. Asia & Africa have the same amount of teams as Europe, and twice as many as South America. That just leads to crappy soccer.

Yeah there's really no excuse for CAF/AFC to get 3.5 spots while UEFA gets only 3 and CONCACAF/CONMEBOL 2 a piece

But as for Spain-Honduras, that still is a really big upset. Spain has some players who already play major minutes at top Euro clubs.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
Why does NBC tell you the results of events they haven't aired yet that night? Kind of defeats the purpose of putting things in prime time so people can watch. It's one thing if you go to the website or look elsewhere and find it, but to say it on the same network it's on later that night?

This. Also, twitter has ruined most of the olympic stuff for me. 90% of my twitter feed is unrelated, but I have a few sports reporters covering the games. They tweet the results a half a day before I watch the replay on NBC.