Where'd Reed's Closer's "Stuff" Go?

Marty34

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
The jury's still out on Reed and the entire bullpen...

So far, we're surviving, some might say thriving, and gaining needed experience.

Jones has GOT to learn how to throw that slider more consistently for strikes. He destroyed Perez with it, but then fed a fastball right across the heart of the plate to Escobar.

The ball that B. Pena hit to Rios in RF would have gone right through the wall had it continued carrying, ala Pete Incaviglia. He smoked it, we just got lucky.

You've had some great posts on this game. How do you remember so many plays from last night's marathon? I've forgotten many of them already, like Pena's liner, until you brought it up. That was a rocket.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
Experience is what you get when you don't want it. But, with these rookies this is the way the learn. They do step up and not panic for the most part. If we get Crain back it should help but an experieced and effective vet closer might not hurt. Not saying I am just saying...

Yes, a lot of rookie relievers showed some balls last night.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't see how anyone who has seen Reed pitch this year can say he is fine as a closer for a team that is trying to win something. His stuff hasn't been as advertised. Where is the slider? Maybe this is another case to be cautious about relievers with dominant sliders.

The guy is a rookie averaging over a strikeout an inning with about a .650 OPS against him. Is there any White Sox worth having on the roster? My buddy and I went to a game a few years ago with a guy who complained the entire time. This guy can't pitch, that guy can't hit, the manager can't manage.....the entire game. The Sox wound up winning. We went to Jimbo's after the game and the guy mentioned what a great time he had. My buddy and I just looked at each other. I'm thinking you're probably similar.

For a team that needs a closer, a top of the rotation starter, has a LF who isn't worth the wait, a SS who needs to go, they sure are doing fine.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
You've had some great posts on this game. How do you remember so many plays from last night's marathon? I've forgotten many of them already, like Pena's liner, until you brought it up. That was a rocket.

Yes, a lot of rookie relievers showed some balls last night.

It's a lot easier when you can watch on t.v.

But I find that I actually pay more attention to the description on radio when I'm in China...feels like you get lazy when you can watch all the action instead of imagining it in your mind.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
The guy is a rookie averaging over a strikeout an inning with about a .650 OPS against him. Is there any White Sox worth having on the roster? My buddy and I went to a game a few years ago with a guy who complained the entire time. This guy can't pitch, that guy can't hit, the manager can't manage.....the entire game. The Sox wound up winning. We went to Jimbo's after the game and the guy mentioned what a great time he had. My buddy and I just looked at each other. I'm thinking you're probably similar.

For a team that needs a closer, a top of the rotation starter, has a LF who isn't worth the wait, a SS who needs to go, they sure are doing fine.

That's hilarious about the complainer.

As much as I can b**** on here, I think I only got pissed or said something bad about one Sox last night, coincidentally Reed.

For some reason his blowing the save at that point pissed me off. I thought Sox had the game and figured we were ultimately doomed. When the inning ended I screamed something out about Reed and the fans around my group laughed. Most fans stuck around because of the fireworks show.

In a way it was a perfect game for me, because I pretty much got to see the entire Sox roster in person, except for starting pitchers and Flowers and Escobar.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
So apparently people are freaking out about a rookie who has a 86.67 SV%.

I don't think anybody's freaking out except Marty. Some are concerned, though, that his stuff may not be electric right now. He did throw one awe-inspiring heater last night, though. I forget to which batter but I was impressed. I think it was 95 on the gun on that one. It did piss me off he couldn't nail down the save. I wanted the game to end at that point.

Edited by greg775

People often mention that one bad outing completely screws over a reliever's ERA. If you take out Reed's one disastrous outing, his ERA would be 2.53 and he would be getting ROY talk. He is giving up homers at an insanely low rate, striking guys out and has a bad BABIP at the moment. I'm not sure what people who doubt his offspeed stuff are watching because his change and slider can be devastating from my eyes, and are perfectly matched with a 95mph fastball with good late tailing action.

Seriously, what do you want from the guy? He's aggressive, keeps the ball in the park and is unflappable as a rookie. His stuff is extremely good, he's just not polished yet. There are 139572 other things to complain about on this team that are more legitimate than Reed.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)

I think Reed is doing really well. If we get a veteran closer, fine - slide reed back and he'll be fine there too.

Top of the rotation starter? We have two until Sale gets shelved or Peavy has a setback. I don't see both of those cases happening and feel that we just need a middle of the rotation starter.

Viciedo... Not worth the wait... Ummmm.... I'm happy as a clam and know it'll only get better.

Alexi... Needs to go? I think he'll be a huge key the rest of the year... If we're gonna do this - Alexi is gonna be big.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 08:59 PM)
People often mention that one bad outing completely screws over a reliever's ERA. If you take out Reed's one disastrous outing, his ERA would be 2.53 and he would be getting ROY talk. He is giving up homers at an insanely low rate, striking guys out and has a bad BABIP at the moment. I'm not sure what people who doubt his offspeed stuff are watching because his change and slider can be devastating from my eyes, and are perfectly matched with a 95mph fastball with good late tailing action.

Seriously, what do you want from the guy? He's aggressive, keeps the ball in the park and is unflappable as a rookie. His stuff is extremely good, he's just not polished yet. There are 139572 other things to complain about on this team that are more legitimate than Reed.

Good post.

Last night's outing won't help his ERA either. It was 9.0.

I'm complaining because he didn't get the save last night. I was ready for that game to end.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)

I will admit it bothers me that he can't seem to put people away, and he seems to walking more guys than I would like.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)

A lot of those saves were in one run situations as well. It's not like he's been handed 3 run leads the whole time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
I will admit it bothers me that he can't seem to put people away, and he seems to walking more guys than I would like.

He needs to be able to bury that slider in the dirt on occasion. Everything seems to be on the same plane right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)

Why does it bother you so much what I think about this player or that player? I could not care less that you think Youkilis is washed up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
He needs to be able to bury that slider in the dirt on occasion. Everything seems to be on the same plane right now.

Like that sequence to Perez.

The problem is he can't sustain it consistently.

Not only that, but his command with the FB has been very spotty, at best.

The other problem with Jones and Reed throwing more sliders is that AJ has been pretty darned atrocious blocking pitches this year. That's always a factor with runners on base in pressure situations, especially on 3rd.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)

This.

Not sure what else there is to say.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)

Shortest.Post.Ever.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
Shortest.Post.Ever.

Point being, though, that his few issues do not include a lack of stuff. He can miss bats and his whiff rate agrees. Obviously, he needs to get his breaking ball over more so he cuts his walk rate back a little, but he's pretty damn good as things stand, particularly when you consider his relative inexperience.

I heartily disagree with those who say he can't put people away or that his stuff has been anything less than advertised.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Why does it bother you so much what I think about this player or that player? I could not care less that you think Youkilis is washed up.

Nice one Marty, now go back to my posts. I had no problem with them getting Youkilis for nothing. When the rumors were Floyd or Thornton, I had a problem, and as great as Youkilis has been, its against the odds that he will be able to finish the rest of the season healthy and effective. Hopefully he does, but I've never seen a guy with so many downer posts and thread starters when the team expected to be pretty bad, is in first place.

I wonder who will have a bad game tonight that will need to be replaced.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Nice one Marty, now go back to my posts. I had no problem with them getting Youkilis for nothing. When the rumors were Floyd or Thornton, I had a problem, and as great as Youkilis has been, its against the odds that he will be able to finish the rest of the season healthy and effective. Hopefully he does, but I've never seen a guy with so many downer posts and thread starters when the team expected to be pretty bad, is in first place.

You're not a fan of downer posts (as if anyone should care.) You include this in a post where you say the odds are against Youkilis staying healthy and effective.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 11:39 PM)

After Saturday evenings bummer of agame I am guessing: Peavy, Konerko, Dunn and others such as our manager Robin Ventura. :lolhitting :angry: