Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
Yeah, its annoying and pointless.

Minorly annoying considering it only takes a little bit of time. Pointless - I'm sure they've caught someone/deterred someone from bringing in something to an event. Worth it right there.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)
What a terrible, terrible tragedy. Not trying to turn politically...but I'm sure the Gun Control crowd will run with this one. What's strange is I just watched Bowling for Columbine the other night for the first time...America's fascination with guns and their ready availability. As a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment and NRA...and a conceal carry person myself, I'm just curious to see the spike in CCW permits in Colorado now in the wake of this event. We as a country, have been programmed to live in fear and violence is second nature anymore. I'm just surprised there were no CCW carriers in the crowd. If it was AZ I'd venture to say he probably would have had at least 5-6 people returning fire...

The sheer senselessness of things like this amaze me...

Are you serious? So in Arizona, had the guy not set off the tear gas, he probably would have been killed before killing or injuring many at all?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
And if 5-6 people were shooting in a crowded, smoke filed theater, Id venture to guess youd have more injuries/fatalities.

Handguns dont stop automatic weapons, and generally arent very good against people wearing ballistics helmet, bullet-proof vest, bullet-proof leggings, etc.

But is that really the point? If you want to kill people, no gun in the world is going to stop them. Perhaps the focus should be on the US love affair with violence, and how killing a large group of people is a good way to get famous quick.

I personally think that the punishment should be that no one ever mentions his name again. You massacre people, you are erased from history. No incentive to use it as a way get notoriety.

I was thinking about that. Too bad that's not our country. Our country is to now find out everything we can about the gunman and they'll tell his story over and over and over on TV, just like Casey Anthony.

Those who follow this case will know everythign about this guy.

All I know is he's an asshole. I don't know how deranged he is. Seriously. Maybe he is mad out of his mind, but at the present time I just think he's a punk who wanted to kill a lot of people.

To you attorneys out there ... I know you have a job to do, but isn't it difficult to represent this guy in the upcoming trial he'll have? I mean how in the hell do you proclaim this guy's innocence? He was caught in the parking lot after doing it. Is the attorney actually going to say, "My client is innocent of all charges?"

I hate everybody today after this.

Senseless deaths piss me off so badly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
Are you serious? So in Arizona, had the guy not set off the tear gas, he probably would have been killed before killing or injuring many at all?

I was thinking about that. Too bad that's not our country. Our country is to now find out everything we can about the gunman and they'll tell his story over and over and over on TV, just like Casey Anthony.

Those who follow this case will know everythign about this guy.

All I know is he's an asshole. I don't know how deranged he is. Seriously. Maybe he is mad out of his mind, but at the present time I just think he's a punk who wanted to kill a lot of people.

To you attorneys out there ... I know you have a job to do, but isn't it difficult to represent this guy in the upcoming trial he'll have? I mean how in the hell do you proclaim this guy's innocence? He was caught in the parking lot after doing it. Is the attorney actually going to say, "My client is innocent of all charges?"

I hate everybody today after this.

Senseless deaths piss me off so badly.

I think the only defense would be to argue insanity or if there is a death penalty in Colorado try to get a life sentence....

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)

no, it would have taken at least several seconds for anyone to realize what was going on. Then they have to realize that people were being shot in the theater, draw their weapons, and find the assailant in the dark theater. Then they would need to fire at him in a dark theater, hopefully hitting him and no one else.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
But one crazy guy shooting people in a theater is a lot different that terrorism. Let's not put them on the same level as far as giving up freedoms, which whether you tried to or not, you basically did with the second paragraph.

It's one and the same. Movie theaters are a big part of our culture. Opening fire on a packed theater brings the same results as airplane hijackings, suicide bombers, or hostage takers. It makes people wary of going about business as usual because their sense of security has taken a hit. Armed robbery and gang violence typically have a specific target. Unless something comes out saying otherwise, this guy didn't have a specific target in mind. His target was anything breathing that he laid eyes on- just like the shooter in Norway. It doesn't matter who's behind the gun firing and for what reason- it matters that there is a gun being fired to begin with.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Minorly annoying considering it only takes a little bit of time. Pointless - I'm sure they've caught someone/deterred someone from bringing in something to an event. Worth it right there.

Slippery slope is the concern here. People like to feel safe and the ones who make the rules are well aware of this.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:57 AM)
I think the only defense would be to argue insanity or if there is a death penalty in Colorado try to get a life sentence....

I suspect the soft juries of today will let him off on insanity.

So he'll just be in a minimum security hospital the rest of his life, right?

Are those places safe from escape?

How insane can this guy be if he was a brilliant student??

It angers me that he's gonna get off on insanity. The f***er knew what he was doing. He ordered all that ammo online. If I was a jury member he'd fry because I'd never let him off on insanity. The man ordered the ammo, compiled all the ammo. Set up booby traps in his apartment to kill more people. Police likely.

Premeditated murder.

But he'll make something up that he had voices in his head and the case will be so well publicized the jury will go soft again like Casey Anthony/OJ and let him sit in a hospital the rest of his life.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:50 AM)
I suspect the soft juries of today will let him off on insanity.

So he'll just be in a minimum security hospital the rest of his life, right?

Are those places safe from escape?

How insane can this guy be if he was a brilliant student??

It angers me that he's gonna get off on insanity. The f***er knew what he was doing. He ordered all that ammo online. If I was a jury member he'd fry because I'd never let him off on insanity. The man ordered the ammo, compiled all the ammo. Set up booby traps in his apartment to kill more people. Police likely.

Premeditated murder.

But he'll make something up that he had voices in his head and the case will be so well publicized the jury will go soft again like Casey Anthony/OJ and let him sit in a hospital the rest of his life.

You assume soooooo much. The insanity plea hardly ever works the % is incredibly small and really those places can be worse than the prisons. This guy is going to spend rest of his life in prison there is no doubt about that.... and given his crime it will probably be solitary which is almost worse than torture.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 01:26 AM)
It's one and the same. Movie theaters are a big part of our culture. Opening fire on a packed theater brings the same results as airplane hijackings, suicide bombers, or hostage takers. It makes people wary of going about business as usual because their sense of security has taken a hit. Armed robbery and gang violence typically have a specific target. Unless something comes out saying otherwise, this guy didn't have a specific target in mind. His target was anything breathing that he laid eyes on- just like the shooter in Norway. It doesn't matter who's behind the gun firing and for what reason- it matters that there is a gun being fired to begin with.

Slippery slope is the concern here. People like to feel safe and the ones who make the rules are well aware of this.

This was my school's topic for Model United Nations this spring.

They first had to agree with all the other represented countries on a definition for terrorism.

Obviously, that's not so easy to do. For example, the British representative brought up the idea that Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Adams, Revere, Madison, Hamilton, etc., all would would have been tried and executed for "terrorism" had the US lost the Revolutionary War.

Fair point. Terrorism is in the eye of the beholder. Bane in Batman is by most people's definition a terrorist, even though he's not a "foreigner." Some people get caught up in this idea it has to be a person with a different religious belief, which is patently false. Or skin color. This kid was suburb looking (for some reason, he reminds me of Jude Law when they keep showing that picture), honors student, budding scientist...so he's therefore NOT a terrorist, at least in the minds of most. Heck, George Martin could be defined as terrorist by the African-American community....or the police, for that matter, totally depends on your POV.

We want to put people in the box of "other" or "that would never be my child." To find somewhere to assess blame. Movies, parenting, computer games, lack of control, everyone should have guns and therefore it wouldn't happen because people would think twice...did the shooter actually plan on dying when he went into that theatre, like the two kids at Columbine when they went to school that day? It doesn't seem like he was quite sure what he wanted as the outcome.

The guy in Norway clearly was selfish enough that he wanted to live so that he could go on spreading his "message" in perpetuity.

If there's no reason for doing something, specifically, does that make it any more or less terroristic? Heck, you can argue that "pointless" or non-strategic violence and murder creates more fear than anything else, even if it's not the original intent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:26 AM)

One is a crazy guy opening up fire where we aren't really sure what the motive is, and it's hard to prepare for. The other is a large group of people that hate an entire country and plan extensive things to try to hurt that country. Sure there are deaths in both. It's just a lot easier to try to fight/prevent/take measures to try to combat terrorism.

This happens, there's not a big reason to freak out and change a lot of things. 9/11 happens, there is great reason to change things.

How the HELL can you buy 100round clips off the internet, legally? Outside the fact that a 100round clip is made for a fully automatic weapon (all of which are illegal obviously, for good reason), im pretty sure a clip that big itself is ILLEGAL, just like other modifications such as silencers, extended clips, etc...

Gotta call bullsh-t that he got it legally. It's 36 hours after the incident occured. I understand the feds have unlimited resources in pursuing information like that but that seems highly unlikely to me.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:26 AM)

Actually that's 100% wrong and the ENTIRE POINT of terrorism.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
no, it would have taken at least several seconds for anyone to realize what was going on. Then they have to realize that people were being shot in the theater, draw their weapons, and find the assailant in the dark theater. Then they would need to fire at him in a dark theater, hopefully hitting him and no one else.

Correct. That's hard to do even for a professional (PLUS with tear gas).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
Better than being fish in a barrel.

Maybe but probably not. Odds are you are just adding to the body count.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
Correct. That's hard to do even for a professional (PLUS with tear gas).

Maybe but probably not. Odds are you are just adding to the body count.

Im going to agree with Lost on this one.

And we arent even talking about the fact that if 20 people start shooting, how are those 20 people going to differentiate a friendly from a target in a crowded dark smoke filled theater?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
How could this have gotten any worse?

Pretty easy, in a dark theater with all the confusion and chaos, if there are 5 or 6 people returning fire, more people would've gotten shot, cops don't know exactly how many gunmen are there, armed citizens could easily be mistaken as the criminals, they can get shot. It's not like Holmes had a sign on him saying "bad guy". And If you're in the theater and you have a gun and try to fight back and you see someone else with a gun, are you gonna ask him if he's a good guy or a bad guy, how would you know for sure he's not with the criminal? There were two gunmen at Columbine, it's not always one guy.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Look for a guy wearing a gas mask and kevlar, dressed in all black. And aim for the head

Again, it's a dark movie theater, (and with tear gas set off) how do you know he's not a SWAT member for example?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
You assume soooooo much. The insanity plea hardly ever works the % is incredibly small and really those places can be worse than the prisons. This guy is going to spend rest of his life in prison there is no doubt about that.... and given his crime it will probably be solitary which is almost worse than torture.

Good.

If anybody EVER thinks these gunmen bastards ever deserve any humane treatement, read this story about the 6 year old who is dead and her mom who is paralyzed and wanted to be a doctor. Shot down by this spineless piece of s*** in Colorado.

The guy goes into a movie theatre with weapons and starts shooting everybody in sight.

What a f***ing coward.

I just wish the cops could go read him this story right now and gauge his reaction.

The guy was a normal student until a few weeks or months ago when he dropped out to plan this spineless attack.

This guy wanted to kill a 6 year old girl and her mother?? Really?

I pray this jury finds this bastard guilty and puts him on death row immediately. This guy gave up the right to live. Insanity my ass.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_...heater-shooting

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Good.

If anybody EVER thinks these gunmen bastards ever deserve any humane treatement, read this story about the 6 year old who is dead and her mom who is paralyzed and wanted to be a doctor. Shot down by this spineless piece of s*** in Colorado.

The guy goes into a movie theatre with weapons and starts shooting everybody in sight.

What a f***ing coward.

I just wish the cops could go read him this story right now and gauge his reaction.

The guy was a normal student until a few weeks or months ago when he dropped out to plan this spineless attack.

This guy wanted to kill a 6 year old girl and her mother?? Really?

I pray this jury finds this bastard guilty and puts him on death row immediately. This guy gave up the right to live. Insanity my ass.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_...heater-shooting

Doesn't matter what we think, greg. There's a system in place and he has rights.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
How the HELL can you buy 100round clips off the internet, legally? Outside the fact that a 100round clip is made for a fully automatic weapon (all of which are illegal obviously, for good reason), im pretty sure a clip that big itself is ILLEGAL, just like other modifications such as silencers, extended clips, etc...

Gotta call bullsh-t that he got it legally. It's 36 hours after the incident occured. I understand the feds have unlimited resources in pursuing information like that but that seems highly unlikely to me.

Large capacity magazines are legal. You can also purchase automatic weapons but there's a bunch of red tape and they're very expensive.

Edit: large capacity mags used to be restricted under the awb but that expiried like six years ago. This came up after either the giffords shooting or one of the college shootings if not both.

Edited by StrangeSox