White Sox Rumor Catch-All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)

There are a lot of trades that make a lot of sense that won't happen. Mauer is the golden boy in Minnesota. If you don't keep a guy like Mauer around, who is going to be part of the solution for any franchise, why even have a franchise in the first place?

The Nationals-Twins have at least one trade that makes a lot of sense that should happen - Denard Span for a reliever + Roger Bernardina or Denard Span for two relievers.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of like the White Sox with Konerko. There's just no way the Twins can trade Mauer, he has too much value to their franchise...it's a unique situation, like Ichiro for so long in Seattle.

And knowing the Nationals, they would expect the Twins to eat part of his deal, and Minnesota just doesn't do that kind of move. Not with their attendance still being what it is.

The Twins have a good line-up offensively, they actually need to be looking to improve their starting pitching, not subtracting Mauer.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
There are a lot of trades that make a lot of sense that won't happen. Mauer is the golden boy in Minnesota. If you don't keep a guy like Mauer around, who is going to be part of the solution for any franchise, why even have a franchise in the first place?

The Nationals-Twins have at least one trade that makes a lot of sense that should happen - Denard Span for a reliever + Roger Bernardina or Denard Span for two relievers.

Im pretty sure thats why the article is "Trades that should happen, but wont".

That being said, Mauer will be 30 next season. Are the Twins really going to be contenders in the next 2-3 years?

Trading Mauer makes sense, just for non baseball reasons the Twins will keep him.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
I think the package that the A's got for Swisher (Gio 8.4 WAR, De Los Santos -0.3 WAR, and Sweeney 5.9 WAR Post-White Sox) is better than the package the Marlins got for Cabrera AND Dontrelle Willis (Andrew Miller -2.8 WAR, Badenhop 1.8 WAR, De La Cruz -0.9 WAR, Trahern 0.0 WAR, Rabelo -0.5 WAR and Maybin 6.6 WAR)

Of course, at the time everybody thought Miller & Maybin would be All-Stars (Maybin actually had a pretty good season last year) so it doesn't look similar at the time. But the Sox prospects have had more major league value by a score of 14 WAR to 4.2 WAR.

With hindsight, Florida would have to have taken the Sox package.

No. The Sox wouldn't take Willis. That was the hang up. The players were secondary. Trading Cabrera let them out of Willis' contract. They were all about the Benjamins.

Before the Mariners traded Ichiro to the Yankees, they were deep in talks with the Giants and White Sox, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com (via Twitter).

Now Kennys reaction to the trade makes sense. Looks like he has been trying for some impact players and just hasn't had the bullets to pull it off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
No. The Sox wouldn't take Willis. That was the hang up. The players were secondary. Trading Cabrera let them out of Willis' contract. They were all about the Benjamins.

Well, that can't be right, since Dombrowski signed Willis to a contract extension after making the trade. Willis was under club control during the 2008 season (arbitration eligible), so the White Sox would have only been stuck with Willis for one year if they didn't want him. And Willis was still a passable pitcher in 2007 before the trade - he threw 200 innings and had a high ERA, but he could have been re-dealt if necessary.

So, no, taking on Willis was not the hang up.

SUNDAY, 12:51am: The Brewers will receive right-handed reliever Fautino De Los Santos in the trade according to Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle. The 26-year-old pitched to a 7.25 ERA in 36 Triple-A innings this year and owns a 4.21 ERA with 11.4 K/9 and 5.0 BB/9 in 36 1/3 big league innings with Oakland over the last two seasons.

MLBTRADERUMORS

Brewers sent C George Kottaras to Oakland on Saturday. In return, Milwaukee gets one of our old friends. I actually thought De Los Santos had the chance to be pretty special.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
SUNDAY, 12:51am: The Brewers will receive right-handed reliever Fautino De Los Santos in the trade according to Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle. The 26-year-old pitched to a 7.25 ERA in 36 Triple-A innings this year and owns a 4.21 ERA with 11.4 K/9 and 5.0 BB/9 in 36 1/3 big league innings with Oakland over the last two seasons.

MLBTRADERUMORS

Brewers sent C George Kottaras to Oakland on Saturday. In return, Milwaukee gets one of our old friends. I actually thought De Los Santos had the chance to be pretty special.

Kottaras has an OBP 200 points higher than his batting average. He walks in 1/4 of his PAs. I wonder how much of that had to do with the fact that he hit in front of the pitcher.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
Kottaras has an OBP 200 points higher than his batting average. He walks in 1/4 of his PAs. I wonder how much of that had to do with the fact that he hit in front of the pitcher.

Ed Herrmann led the AL in 1972 in intentional walks. That was a year before the DH, even with an MVP on the roster. He batted 8th. It most assuredly is because he hit in front of the pitcher.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Jon Morosi is saying the Mariners want a bat for League. Would you trade Carlos Sanchez?

edit: League's WHIP is 1.444. Meh...

I think if KW trades a minor league bat it will be Mitchell, but I would think 2 months ofLeague is a little short of what it would take to get him to give up Mitchell unless he's getting Seattle to eat the money. Mitchell is duplicated in the Sox system and was just moved to AAA. Doesn't KW like to trade recently promoted guys?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:22 AM)
I thought I saw a thread before about Blanton and Victorino going to the Dodgers but it appears that thread was pulled. I can't find any reports anywhere on that trade even rumored to have taken place. What happened?

it was posted on a fake twitter account.