Sox eager to move Floyd, other notes

southsider2k5

With the Red Sox putting Beckett on the block, I'd be surprised if the Sox didn't ask. This could be a typical buy-low move by Kenny. Heard a Red Sox reporter talk about how Boston would likely throw in a ton of cash and is expecting to receive minimal prospects in return. They are looking at it as "addition by subtraction" as there is still a big distraction dating back to Beckett's issues from last year.

Big risk in a guy like this, but if the Red Sox pay a lot of his salary (and his stuff is there) and Coop sees something he can do, I could maybe see a swap of Floyd for Beckett + CASH (and lots of it).

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Floyd is making $7M this year. $9.5M club option next year. Don't think Floyd is worth $9.5M. I could be wrong though b/c starters seems to be paid now at a high premium. Guessing though that nobody would pick that up since Floyd could be resigned for less or structured a multiyear deal at a lower yearly rate or backloaded.

From our perspective then, Floyd is a potential FA and thus a good piece to move. His numbers for the last five starts have been great thus we could sell high here. Also save a little bit of money that could be used toward another piece.

Now why would another team want Floyd? They are only getting a rental unless they pick up the option or believe they can work out a fairly valued multiyear deal.

If some team though does want Floyd, White Sox could try to upgrade at 2B and include Beckham in the trade or spin off into another trade. Still though it seems like we would have to acquire another starter somewhere.

Hmm. A lot to think about it. And sending Santiago down to the minors could be a move to stretch him out to be a starter...maybe an insurance starter for this season.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
Don't see how we can trade Floyd right now. I think that he will be okay down the stretch. He did have some days off which probably should help him.

He's the only starter who

pitched the past two seasons

AL post season experience

Then there's

Peavy - when's the last time he pitched a full season?

Sale and Q - dead arm potential

Humber - possible flash in the pan

Liriano - what if Coop can't fix him

After Grienke I don't know what realistic trade would bring a reward over the risks. If he's gone, you risk having a 4 man rotation. This is a scenario where the nontraditional 6 man rotation would work.

Could just be a ploy or a decoy by KW. Get word out that there is player they really want to move. Then receive offers and start to get an idea how much value Floyd has. Maybe KW plans to pick up that club option or work out a deal with Floyd.

Just a possibility. Or Floyd could be traded within minute. haha. That is how it works.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
With the Red Sox putting Beckett on the block, I'd be surprised if the Sox didn't ask. This could be a typical buy-low move by Kenny. Heard a Red Sox reporter talk about how Boston would likely throw in a ton of cash and is expecting to receive minimal prospects in return. They are looking at it as "addition by subtraction" as there is still a big distraction dating back to Beckett's issues from last year.

Big risk in a guy like this, but if the Red Sox pay a lot of his salary (and his stuff is there) and Coop sees something he can do, I could maybe see a swap of Floyd for Beckett + CASH (and lots of it).

I thought Beckett and Youkilis don't like each other, no? I thought JB blamed KY for narcing out the pitchers for boozing in the clubhouse.