7/27 Games

flavum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
6'4" is very tall and rangy for a CF...but he definitely possesses more athleticism than most guys that size who play baseball because of his basketball bloodline.

At any rate, it's our most OF depth since the days of Rowand, Chris Young, Anderson, Reed and Anthony Webster.

How dare you not mention Ryan Sweeney

Good that he can stay in CF because that's the only position I think his bat will play. It would be interesting to see how many players drafted out of H.S. who have Thompson's K rate after 1,300 minor league plate appearances have made the majors.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Good that he can stay in CF because that's the only position I think his bat will play. It would be interesting to see how many players drafted out of H.S. who have Thompson's K rate after 1,300 minor league plate appearances have made the majors.

What are you talking about? He is a power prospect, if he reaches the majors it means he definitely will have the bat to play in all 3 spots. There is just no guarantee he makes that given to the holes in his swings and the fact no prospects are guarantees.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
What are you talking about? He is a power prospect, if he reaches the majors it means he definitely will have the bat to play in all 3 spots.

He's not going to be a good enough all-around hitter to play left or right.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
He's not going to be a good enough all-around hitter to play left or right.

Look at his power numbers, if he makes the big leagues he is going to be good enough for a corner OF spot. The only way he makes the bigs is if he cuts down the K rate so you have to keep that in mind....

FYI, in 35 games in the second half, Thompson is .279 / .331 / .543 with 40 Ks in 140 AB (28% K/AB) vs. .217 / .304 / .455 with 91 Ks in 253 AB (36% K/AB) in 67 first half games. Walks are down, but contact is up.

His path is worse than Chris Young, but Young was really impressive in the minors. Young was pushed to Birmingham from Kanny at age 21 after a .868 OPS season at Kanny at age 20. Clearly Thompson was not ready for that.

I think it's all about improvement. Young kept improving in the minors and then dramatically slowed at the MLB level. If Thompson keeps improving, his trajectory is pretty good. Next year at AA will be the real test for Thompson. If his AVG and K rate improve in Birmingham, I'd gamble he'll be a solid major league regular.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
Solid season for Keenyn Walker. Hope he finishes strong and maybe they'll send him to the AFL and AA next year.

Astros might own him by then. If so, Brett Myers will be very expensive acquisition.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
Astros might own him by then. If so, Brett Myers will be very expensive acquisition.

It's highly unlikely Walker is in that trade. It's probably a thing where the Astros get a list of 3 pitchers, and they get to pick by a certain date.

I love the fact we're saying XYZ player can't play a corner when we've had guys like Pods and Pierre on the corners.

Mitchell will probably be a LFer in the big leagues if he makes it...although it's possible he sticks in CF. With the Sox, they probably have him lined up behind DeAza rather than Viciedo, but he can play either.

If anyone projects as a "pure" power hitter in our minor league system, among the outfielders, it's Thompson and Hawkins head and shoulders over everyone else. That's exactly what you need at USCF, not punch and judy hitters.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
I love the fact we're saying XYZ player can't play a corner when we've had guys like Pods and Pierre on the corners.

Mitchell will probably be a LFer in the big leagues if he makes it...although it's possible he sticks in CF. With the Sox, they probably have him lined up behind DeAza rather than Viciedo, but he can play either.

If anyone projects as a "pure" power hitter in our minor league system, among the outfielders, it's Thompson and Hawkins head and shoulders over everyone else. That's exactly what you need at USCF, not punch and judy hitters.

I like Walker better because he has shown dramatic improvement this year which gives me hope that he will be able to improve his contact rate in the future. I can see him being a guy who eventually gets you double figures in doubles, triples, and homers, and 40 SB a year.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
Keenyn Walker's BABIP is .445 this year. All other things being equal, now is the time to trade him if you can get a piece for the ML team.

That obviously is going to dip, but on the flip side it would suggest when he is making contact he is hitting line drives which is a positive sign to take from his season as well.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
I like Walker better because he has shown dramatic improvement this year which gives me hope that he will be able to improve his contact rate in the future. I can see him being a guy who eventually gets you double figures in doubles, triples, and homers, and 40 SB a year.

Gee, sounds pretty much like Juan Pierre.

Not so sure about the double figures in homers. DeAza has more pop, and Mitchell.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
It's highly unlikely Walker is in that trade. It's probably a thing where the Astros get a list of 3 pitchers, and they get to pick by a certain date.

I agree, there is no way, Walker, Thompson, Johnson or Soptic are the PTBNL that makes the trade too expensive. I know we all have anxiety as to who the mysterious player might be, but it is not going to be one of our elite guys.

I'm a little nervous who this PTBNL will be in the Myers deal after seeing this in Baseball America.

Lunhow came out and said the PTBNL in the White Sox deal will be a significant piece. What caliber of player would we expect considering the money we sent and what we already received?

Jim Callis: There aren't a lot of significant pieces in the White Sox system, but it makes sense that the PTBN will be of value because the other two players (Heidenreich, Walters) in the Brett Myers deal are fringy. I really don't have any clue who it might be, though.

The PTBNL will likely be one of their draft picks from 2011 as draft picks cannot be traded until one year from the date they are signed. Myers contract pays him a bonus of $500K if and when he is dealt. Chicago is only responsible for $1 mil of Myers salary this year and will receive money from the Astros for either his vesting option or buyout, whichever one occurs, this offseason.

I wont pretend to know much about either of these players we received from the White Sox as their system is terrible and I doubt either one of these guys cracks our top 20, however, Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus did have this to say about Walters. All in all, Im fine with this trade. Trading Myers was a must as paying him $10 mil next year once the option vested (45 games finished and doesnt end up on the DL. He has already finished 29 games.) made no sense for a team rebuilding. He will likely be a setup man for Chicago basically assuring his option doesnt vest.

Climbingtalshill.com

It's possible that it could be Walker or Erik Johnson, Kevan Smith, Semien...hopefully not the first two.

Edited by caulfield12

If the PTBNL is from the 2011 draft, then it's got to be one of the following guys:

Keenyn Walker

Erik Johnson

Jeff Soptic

Scott Snodgress

Marcus Semien

Kevan Smith

Honestly, I would hate losing any of those guys. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with Soptic since he has the highest bust potential.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
If the PTBNL is from the 2011 draft, then it's got to be one of the following guys:

Keenyn Walker

Erik Johnson

Jeff Soptic

Scott Snodgress

Marcus Semien

Kevan Smith

Honestly, I would hate losing any of those guys. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with Soptic since he has the highest bust potential.

Agree with everything you said in this post... If it has to be one of these guys tho, Id prefer it be Soptic or Semien

Hopefully it's between Soptic or Semien. If it's Walker, Johnson, Snodgress, or Smith-it's a horrible deal. Plus we still have to worry about this option kicking in. We have 62 games left and only needs 14 more games. We're in a playoff race, so this should be easily achieved by Myers. Still no word on how much Houston would give us if the option kicked in.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
That's a reach at this point. He was good, but not great at Kannapolis. Decent average, good walk rate, good steal numbers, but bad K rate and minimal power. He's red hot in High-A, but it's been 10 games. Let's not jump to huge conclusions over a 10 game stretch. If he keeps up these numbers through the end of the year, then sure he's the No. 1.

He's making big strides though. Very similar tools wise to a Denard Span. Could be an impact #1 or #2 hitter and you have to like the fact that he's continuously improving. Hard to say, but as a whole, I feel as though the Sox system has taken major steps forward (and this is despite the 2 big prospects they acquired for Quentin/Santos not exactly living up to their hype). As well as Stewart being a POS (although thankfully he helpds land Youk).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Gee, sounds pretty much like Juan Pierre.

Not so sure about the double figures in homers. DeAza has more pop, and Mitchell.

And I'd love to have Juan Pierre from his early days with the Marlins. Very very valuable leadoff hitter. Walker has more pop though. And no, I'm not saying Walker is going to be Juan Pierre (cause Pierre early on was one of the best leadoff guys in the game).