Danks will have exploratory surgery

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
Sounds like alot of issues, I hope PTAC weighs in on these.

I wonder how much of this is normal wear and tear for someone who's been pitching professionally for a while? Also, any reason to expect velocity issues due to this injury?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
Same thing as Byrdak?

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2012/8/6/32244...y?ref=fangraphs

They make it sound more serious.

That's not a positive sounding list.

Apart from Santana, the following pitchers have also undergone anterior capsule surgery and their collective post-surgery performance and stability leaves much to be desired:

Bret Saberhagen

Mark Prior

Chris Young

Chien-Ming Wang

Rich Harden

Dallas Braden

I think everyone is just reacting on little information. I don't think this was anything but a minor surgery. However, it concerns me that he has struggled and had so many issues with something minor, that normally would have been fine.

Either way, I'll wait until Ptact educates us on whats going on. Ptact...yeeesssss!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 02:44 AM)
I think everyone is just reacting on little information. I don't think this was anything but a minor surgery. However, it concerns me that he has struggled and had so many issues with something minor, that normally would have been fine.

Either way, I'll wait until Ptact educates us on whats going on. Ptact...yeeesssss!

Yeah, for some reason, if it was the major surgery that Prior and Santana had, I feel like there's no way they think he'd be ready by spring training.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
Yeah, for some reason, if it was the major surgery that Prior and Santana had, I feel like there's no way they think he'd be ready by spring training.

I get the feeling they did a minor clean-up while in there. And it wasn't more then that. THey also probably strengthened the shoulder as PT pointed out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:10 AM)
I get the feeling they did a minor clean-up while in there. And it wasn't more then that. THey also probably strengthened the shoulder as PT pointed out.

I thought it was interesting that Danks said he was happy to get the chance to be healthy again. Makes you wonder how long this bothered him?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
@MDGonzales

Danks had repair of capsular tear and minor debridements of the rotator cuff and biceps in his left shoulder. Will be in sling for 4 weeks

@MDGonzales

on track to be ready by spring training in 2013.

This is pretty much what I was talking about earlier when they were so vague as to what was going on. The rotator cuff and biceps debridement are the "cleaning up" of normal wear and tear on a pitcher. The capsular repair is the key. He should recover just fine depending on how loose the capsule was. Hopefully, the surgeon was able to determine how tight it needed to be. With no real muscle damage his strength will be fine and the rehab will be quick. Either way he will be throwing again by Spring Training. It will be a 3-6 months rehab protocol.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
Same thing as Byrdak?

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2012/8/6/32244...y?ref=fangraphs

They make it sound more serious.

It's a similar injury but not as severe. In the case of Sanatana and Byrdak the tears were significant enough to find on the imaging exams. Danks' was not. It's like a mild ankle sprain that you walk off versus a severe ankle sprain the needs to go into a cast. They are both ankle sprains but the severity is different.

Danks has a better prognosis and a better chance to return earlier than some of the others on that list. The other advantage he has is his young age compared to most on the list.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
It's a similar injury but not as severe. In the case of Sanatana and Byrdak the tears were significant enough to find on the imaging exams. Danks' was not. It's like a mild ankle sprain that you walk off versus a severe ankle sprain the needs to go into a cast. They are both ankle sprains but the severity is different.

Danks has a better prognosis and a better chance to return earlier than some of the others on that list. The other advantage he has is his young age compared to most on the list.

Great information. Thanks again!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
I'm a little worried that he might develop carpal tunnel and recommend a strict keystroke limit.

I don't believe in keystroke limits. The wrist activity is not to just active keyboarding. There are many other activities that are done with the wrist and hand outside of keyboarding that could cause repetitive stress and thus cause the carpal tunnel.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
I don't believe in keystroke limits. The wrist activity is not to just active keyboarding. There are many other activities that are done with the wrist and hand outside of keyboarding that could cause repetitive stress and thus cause the carpal tunnel.

If you put a limit on THAT, I quit Soxtalk

• 2 weeks later...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...s#disqus_thread

Despite slow rehab, Danks targets spring return

CHICAGO -- John Danks met with the media on Monday for the first time since undergoing surgery on Aug. 6 to repair his left shoulder, and the White Sox lefty remains cautiously optimistic about a healthy return by Spring Training 2013.

"I'm not putting a whole lot of weight into the dates," said Danks, speaking with his left arm held in a large sling. "It's certainly a good goal, and it's my goal to be ready by spring, but things can happen. The goal is Spring Training, but I don't want to do anything to set us back any further by pushing it.

"It's still new to me. Everything I know is just what was told to me. Fortunately, at this point, it hasn't been as bad as I expected, but I haven't gotten into the full rehab process. I hear that's a little tougher."

Danks' arthroscopic surgery repaired a capsular tear and minor debridements of the rotator cuff and biceps, but it revealed a normal rotator cuff. The left-hander is unsure whether his rehab will take place in Dallas or Austin, but he is putting full trust in Dr. Anthony Romeo, who not only performed the surgery with Dr. Gregory Nicholson but also has gone through the same procedure himself recently.

"During the first couple of weeks, it has been pretty slow moving," Danks said. "We'll have a better idea once rehab truly gets started cranking, but I've heard Spring Training so that's my goal now until I hear otherwise and I'm going to do everything in my power to make that happen."