Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
It depends. Earlybird is very popular now, I usually do not get B on a full flight if I check in right away.

Also, if your plane is the same one flying from chicago, you would likely stay on the plane, so you could re-adjust seats then to sit next to each other.

Its not early bird, SWA still has status flyers at first in line and they will save alot of slots for them (us.) Even when I switch flights I never get above A36 or so. The people waiting to check in right when its time are already behind Biz-Select, A Plus, A and then earlybird.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
Its not early bird, SWA still has status flyers at first in line and they will save alot of slots for them (us.) Even when I switch flights I never get above A36 or so. The people waiting to check in right when its time are already behind Biz-Select, A Plus, A and then earlybird.

Aplus, A-List get checked in first 36 hours ahead of time based on a convoluted and undisclosed ranking system, but to the best of my knowledge, there isn't any group of boarding spots set aside for later. I've definitely gotten B and even C when doing last-minute changes before, but you do still get to board between the A's and B's in that case. You can get high boarding number check-ins when you switch or check-in late due to other peoples' cancellations and switches--if I switch flights and had an A16 boarding pass, the next person to check in to that same flight will get my A16 slot.

I'm going to have to scan through this thread tomorrow when I have more time, but I am going to be flying to Arizona sometime in January, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't flown in like 7 years, and I've definitely never flown by myself before. I know I am going to be so stressed out.

Anyone got tips for sites to use to find a flight? Or airlines to use/avoid? Orbitz seems to have the best prices. I see I could take Spirit one way, and American/United on the way back, graveyard times, for $99 nonstop. But flying Spirit kind of scares me, as I have heard a lot of bad things. And for a 4 hour flight, I would hate it to be an awful, uncomfortable experience.

From basic reviews I've read, it seems SouthWest has the best ratings. But of course, SW flights are 3-4x the price. I want to stay under $200, and non-stop if I can since it's less of a chance I f*** up something at the airport by making a stop. lol.

I am shocked that sw has 3-4x the price of orbitz, as sw has almost always been the cheapest flight for me.

Unless of course you are talking about spirit/frontier, and I would highly recommend against. No amount of savings is worth the upcharging, delayed service that you get from those.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
I don't know what your schedule is, but just randomly choosing departing 1/9 and returning 1/16, you can get Wanna Get Away nonstop fares for about $180 each way from Midway to Phoenix. You wouldn't have bag fees like some other airlines charge, either.

Well, even still, that's $360 versus the $99 I could get by doing some combination of Spirit/Frontier/Delta/United/American Airlines. From what I've read, I get 1 free carry on at Spirit, and 1 checked bag is like $26. I'm a very light traveler.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:01 AM)
I'm going to have to scan through this thread tomorrow when I have more time, but I am going to be flying to Arizona sometime in January, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't flown in like 7 years, and I've definitely never flown by myself before. I know I am going to be so stressed out.

Anyone got tips for sites to use to find a flight? Or airlines to use/avoid? Orbitz seems to have the best prices. I see I could take Spirit one way, and American/United on the way back, graveyard times, for $99 nonstop. But flying Spirit kind of scares me, as I have heard a lot of bad things. And for a 4 hour flight, I would hate it to be an awful, uncomfortable experience.

From basic reviews I've read, it seems SouthWest has the best ratings. But of course, SW flights are 3-4x the price. I want to stay under $200, and non-stop if I can since it's less of a chance I f*** up something at the airport by making a stop. lol.

I am kind of in the same boat as you when it comes to flying for the first time in awhile. I have done it twice and not since I was 18 so I am worried about all the damn rules and stress of it all.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Well, even still, that's $360 versus the $99 I could get by doing some combination of Spirit/Frontier/Delta/United/American Airlines. From what I've read, I get 1 free carry on at Spirit, and 1 checked bag is like $26. I'm a very light traveler.

Especially with the "budget" carriers like Spirit, make sure you figure out what all the possible fees you could encounter will be. Those airlines thrive on offering "cheap" tickets that end up just as if not more expensive than everyone else.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
Especially with the "budget" carriers like Spirit, make sure you figure out what all the possible fees you could encounter will be. Those airlines thrive on offering "cheap" tickets that end up just as if not more expensive than everyone else.

Try the hopper app

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)

Ryanair - 60€ if you didn't print out your ticket ahead of time

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I booked my flight finally. Rates had gone up 30-40% since last week when I was looking. I had to wait on approval from work for the days off. After looking at a few sites and NEARLY going through a site that I eventually read reviews on and heard it was a scam (Flyfar.ca), I was about to settle on something around $160 or so for a roundtrip flight via Spirit and Frontier, or Frontier and United, or some combination.

Then at the last second I thought to check American Express' website to see if cardholders got any nice perks. Turns out I could book a flight through them. Ended up with graveyard flights, but I wound up with $105 roundtrip, American Airlines both ways with window seats. I am pretty excited about this.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 26, 2015 -> 11:08 PM)
How lenient is Southwest with carry on luggage? Their dimensions are; 10 x 16 x 24. A bag we have is 11 x 15 x 24, will they allow that on? I assume they don't measure every bag.

They don't. As long as it fits in the overhead nobody is going to care, and you shouldn't have any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my flight to AZ is in less than 5 hours. Got my flight for $105 roundtrip, got my rental car for 7 days at $122. I think I did pretty well for my first time doing my own travel arrangements. :) Now just need to get over the nerves of not f***ing up at the airport and making it through the flight. I'm not much a fan of flying. :/

Wish me luck!