Coop: Sox going back to five man rotation

Wedge

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
Consistency? He's been one of the worst starters in baseball. ERA well over 7 since the perfect game. Guys like Gavin Floyd and Matt Garza are inconsistent. Then you have Humber. Good move by the Sox. There's a division title to be had and we can't afford auto-losses right now.

I would take Phil to the airport if we could get Nick Blackburn back for him...and Blackburn is horrible.

Followed inevitably by someone pointing out we won his Red Sox start and came back to win his Friday outing as well...parried by, yeah, but didn't Danny Wright get double figure wins in XYZ year and he was almost as bad. In the end, ERA is more indicative of performance than wins and losses for a starter, because our bullpen has really skewed Jake Peavy's record, for example.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the feeling listening to that interview that to some extent Cooper was just saying his own plan and this wasn't necessarily official or fully fleshed out yet. There were some good nuggets though -- "Thornton is on pace for a career high in appearances, are there plans to reduce his workload?" "No! We're going for a pennant!"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
Dude, who is that in your avy? First I thought it was Selena Gomez but she looks like she's 10. Is that Victoria Justice?

Yep, saw the trailer for "Fun Size" movie that's coming out and decided to kick the cartoon character to the curb. I think she's 19, lol. Maybe she will be the next Minka Kelly, albeit with better acting chops. Poor Minka with the latest cancelled t.v. series and "The Roommate" has fallen even below Jessica Alba in terms of credibility, if that's possible.

Although I might have to bring back Jose Contreras' World Series ring pose if needed for the next Tigers series.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Wedge @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
There's 45 games left. We can't afford to piss away 7 of them with a Humber start. Downside is that there's only 3 off days in those final 45 games.

55 games left.

I'm not a fan of a 6-man, but the extra day seems to be good for Sale.

They don't need a 6th starter until August 15 because of the off day Thursday, but if it's just for Sale, then let's see if they actually go through with Sale starting on 4 days rest on August 17.

They say they're not using a 6th starter, but I bet they do to give Sale an extra day.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 03:05 AM)
Humber had a hell of a year last year and you don't just luck into a perfect game in the MLB, dude can pitch. The pen may wind up being good for him in a long relief role.

Humber had a hell of a first half

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...;t=p#half_extra

Since then, he has been pretty mediocre to bad

White Sox next four series:

KC

Oakland

@Toronto

@KC

Detroit next four series:

NYY

@Texas

@MIN

Baltimore

Ventura and co must be thinking they can build some separation from Detroit. Maybe if we're up by a more comfortable margin they'll reinstate the 6 man rotation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
Hot garbage is more like it.

Since the All Star break last year:

143 2/3 IP

160 HITS

93 RUNS

91 EARNED RUNS

52 BB

122 K

5 HBP

26 HR ALLOWED

5.70 ERA

I was trying to be nice

The move makes sense. Humber can go three or four innings if needed and then turn it over to the rest of the pen. Floyd needs to figure out why he can't find that groove though. Can't keep giving up three or four runs in the first couple innings. You can pretty much tell with Gavin if he is going to have a good game by how he does in that first inning

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 04:12 AM)
The writing is on the wall for Humber. The organization loves Santiago, and they are stretching him out as a starter. I wouldn't be surprised to see Phil hit the road here soon.

What do you think? Trade bait or could he be the long reliever/spot starter? We saw some good games out of him for sure as weell as some real struggles. I do agree Santiago may be a starter in September or at least in the plans for 2013. We really have no idea of what will happen with peavy and Liroiano or Floyd for that matgter. Plus John Danks situation is up in the air

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
What do you think? Trade bait or could he be the long reliever/spot starter? We saw some good games out of him for sure as weell as some real struggles. I do agree Santiago may be a starter in September or at least in the plans for 2013. We really have no idea of what will happen with peavy and Liroiano or Floyd for that matgter. Plus John Danks situation is up in the air

I have trouble believing that they could really get anything hugely useful for him after his struggles this year. He could be good "Danks insurance" if they are comfortable putting him in the pen next year, and it's not like he's expensive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
I have trouble believing that they could really get anything hugely useful for him after his struggles this year. He could be good "Danks insurance" if they are comfortable putting him in the pen next year, and it's not like he's expensive.

I agree with putting him in the pen. Im not saying Humber is good by any means but he could be a valuble cheap arm in long relief and spot start occasionally. Has there ever been a guy to throw a perfect game and move to the pen the year after? Interesting...

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)

He's more valuable as depth than as a trade chip, at this point.

QUOTE (Wagz @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
I agree with putting him in the pen. Im not saying Humber is good by any means but he could be a valuble cheap arm in long relief and spot start occasionally. Has there ever been a guy to throw a perfect game and move to the pen the year after? Interesting...

Next year? He has been moved there in the same year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Liriano to pitch Saturday, Sale on Sunday.

5 days rest for each, so not unexpected.

Let's see if they actually pitch Sale on August 17 with 4 days rest. My guess is another 6th starter game sometime between Aug 15-17.

Edited by flavum