Santiagos's Screwball vs Guthrie's AL Rebirth

Kyyle23

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
Maybe scouting amateur talent, but not advanced scouting. I bet every team spends about the same amount. Maybe their scouts aren't as good, I have no idea, but they have reports on everyone.

That may be...........whoever is doing KC advanced scouting needs s*** canned!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
That may be...........whoever is doing KC advanced scounting needs s*** canned!

I couldn't argue with you there, although today KC would have been shutout if the Sox could have scored in 9 innings. I don't know why Guthrie looks like a Cy Young/MVP against the Sox every time out. He's doing better in KC, but I think his numbers wouldn't look so good if you threw out his starts against the Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

FWIW, Mike Gellinger, one of their top scouts/front office people (can't remember his exact title, someone can look it up) had a major health scare recently...before, he was listed as something to do with scouting/video work, sometimes fill-in 1B coach.

DETROIT -- Chicago White Sox assistant hitting coach Mike Gellinger has been in a Baltimore hospital since Wednesday after suffering a fall in his hotel room.

Gellinger blacked out and suffered trauma to a vertebrae. He was expected to fly to Chicago on Sunday.

Gellinger, a 1982 graduate of Fremd High School, was the Sox's computer systems analyst in 1997 and evolved into an assistant hitting coach with former hitting coach Greg Walker. He also managed in the Sox's minor league system.

mark gonzales

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
Tigers are sure doing their best to hand us this division and the Sox just don't want to grab it and run....

They can't beat ANYONE but the White Sox these days.

What about the White Sox handing them a 1 1/2 game lead and more recently a tie for the lead and 7 consecutive victories over us.

Each time, they've given the division lead right back almost instantly.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
They can't beat ANYONE but the White Sox these days.

What about the White Sox handing them a 1 1/2 game lead and more recently a tie for the lead and 7 consecutive victories over us.

Each time, they've given the division lead right back almost instantly.

The head to head match ups will probably have no effect on who wins the division.

I'm so angry right now with the olmedo thing and it's not even so much because of the awful k, hitting ml pitching is tough and even the best can k, but the lack of hustle is another thing, if this bum olmedo runs that out and gets there it changes the whole scenario, doesn't take the bat outta the 3rd man in the lineup and dingus doesn't probably burn 2 players at once, k's will come but you can control how you hustle in the game and Ramirez has some blame too for being tardy, if he gets there on time olmedo doesn't play or at least not hitting second. Right now any team seems to know how to pitch us, no adjustmets are made and this were Viciedo needs to improve big time. A lot of dumb baseball played today, and the sox have there share of dumb players, maybe too many....

During press conference, when asked about the 'base running mistakes', Ventura said 'we will take care of that.'

Like Balta said, I don't care that you suck at baseball, Olmedo looked like didn't even want to be there today. I want nothing to do with a guy like that on the roster. If I'm Kenny, Olmedo would be playing for the Joliet Slammers tomorrow, if that. SO pissed.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Nothing would make me happier than sweeping the Tigers and putting them out of their misery.

It's safe to say that will not happen. I am expecting a Detroit sweep. No way in hell the Sox win more than one of the games. I frankly see no scenario in which a game against Detroit ends with us on top. Not anymore this season anyway. Same with KC. Sox were lucky to get one. KC of course will take 2 of 3 or all three when we play them next.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
need to take 3/4 from Detroit

the only way the tigers can regain first place is if they sweep

You mean when they sweep. Sox stand no chance of beating that mediocre Detroit team head to head. Not in the cards this year. The sad thing is Q is toast and he pitches the opener which doesn't even figure to be a competitive loss.

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
How the f**K is Olmedo a major league player? Unreal. Just plain unreal. My 13 year old son would have swung better at those last 2 pitches. Oh wait...he wouldn't have swung as they were in the dirt and balls! Grrrr.

Robin should have signed a one-day contract and grabbed a bat. Having Olmedo bat there was automatic end to the game. The fact the Sox in a 0-0 game in a pennant race couldn't score in the bottom of the ninth is utterly disgraceful.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
The thing is we are Ragging on olmedo and rightfully so, but AJ had a big blunder too, it seems they were defeated from the get go

Good point. If we are going to lose virtually every game against KC we might as well try something fun and different. Why not throw at all their hitters in one inning. Pick one inning and knock down three hitters in a row. Or let Dwyane Wise be the starting pitcher. Why not? Trying to beat them fair and square doesn't work. Shake it up.

Edited by greg775

One thing that was lost in all my rage posts...I was very impressed with Santiago. 8 Ks in 4 innings is stellar.

His only problem is that he gets into way too many deep counts. After he gets ahead, he gets too cute with his off-speed pitches. When he has that 95-96 MPH face-high fastball, it's hard to beat him since the hitters have to think about his off-speed pitches.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 9, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
Santiago was mostly at 93-94 and a FEW times at 95...but definitely not consistently in the mid 90's, at least not that I noticed.

Maybe you were watching a different broadcast?

His face-high fastballs were all 95+ and they were very effective. Hosmer had no chance against him today.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 05:08 AM)
One thing that was lost in all my rage posts...I was very impressed with Santiago. 8 Ks in 4 innings is stellar.

His only problem is that he gets into way too many deep counts. After he gets ahead, he gets too cute with his off-speed pitches. When he has that 95-96 MPH face-high fastball, it's hard to beat him since the hitters have to think about his off-speed pitches.

That's why losing Mark Buehrle was so important. He knows how to pitch and he could help these young pitchers as much or more than Coop by example. Horrible decision to let Mark go.