Rick Hahn the new GM

SOXOBAMA

He already was Kenny's b****. Why not take the pay raise and title upgrade?

Now the Jed Hoyer thing is different, he moved laterally in title, but knowingly become Theo's b****. He may have gotten a pay raise, I'm not sure. But he was already in a GM position where he made his own club, now he is still in a GM position, but Theo pulls the strings. In that case, I think Jed is a baby back b****.

And, Jed **** and Kenny**** schnouzers and likes to ****** his ******* episcopalion****** for Beckham, so maybe ******* up the ole ****** for A-Rod.

Thoughts?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
If you could do your same job that you enjoyed, but could get a raise due to a title change you wouldn't do it?

We have normal jobs. Baseball GM isn't normal. I would think what you really cared about was to be giving the keys to a baseball franchise and be able to make all the personnel moves BY YOURSELF.

If Hahn couldn't get that in Chicago, he could have easily gotten it somewhere else and get paid the same if not more.

I hope Kenny can take a hands off approach, but that seems impossible.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 01:54 AM)
And, Jed **** and Kenny**** schnouzers and likes to ****** his ******* episcopalion****** for Beckham, so maybe ******* up the ole ****** for A-Rod.

Thoughts?

Were the two uses of the "female dog word" too distracting for you to comprehend what I was saying?? And while we are talking about this, I do believe that word should be uncensored. If you can say it on TV (and maybe radio?) you should be able to type it on a message board.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 01:13 AM)
We have normal jobs. Baseball GM isn't normal. I would think what you really cared about was to be giving the keys to a baseball franchise and be able to make all the personnel moves BY YOURSELF.

If Hahn couldn't get that in Chicago, he could have easily gotten it somewhere else and get paid the same if not more.

Maybe his family likes it in Chicago? Maybe he likes it?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
Maybe his family likes it in Chicago? Maybe he likes it?

Well great for him and his family if that's the case, but I don't really want a GM in title only. If Kenny is really the GM then just stay the GM. Seems pointless to just pretend this guy is something he's not. That shouldn't be how a baseball front office is presented to fans.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 01:25 AM)
Well great for him and his family if that's the case, but I don't really want a GM in title only. If Kenny is really the GM then just stay the GM. Seems pointless to just pretend this guy is something he's not. That shouldn't be how a baseball front office is presented to fans.

This is all how you percieve it. None of knows what actually is happening in that front office in terms of personnel decisions. For all we know, Rick Hahn could have had a far more heavier hand in decisions than any of us every knew. KW has already talked multiple times about how much he has to do with negotiating contracts.

This "Rick is just Kennys b****" talk is purely speculative.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
This is all how you percieve it. None of knows what actually is happening in that front office in terms of personnel decisions. For all we know, Rick Hahn could have had a far more heavier hand in decisions than any of us every knew. KW has already talked multiple times about how much he has to do with negotiating contracts.

This "Rick is just Kennys b****" talk is purely speculative.

Thank you.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 01:13 AM)

NO one has that job. There is some level of oversight in every job. Kenny still has to run pretty much anything of substance past Jerry and the board. Tell me who out there gets complete free reign.

This will be like GarPax unfortunately. Everyone is going to say he is a puppet with KW pulling the strings until one day, like with GarPax, people start to realize that Hahn is making independent decisions with KWs input not with KWs direction. And that is how it should be with a GM, they have a team of people they work with including their supervisor(whether it be team president or VP or whatever other title is between owner and GM) that comes to conclusions together.

Rick Hahn is an ambitious guy. He's not going to take this job unless he has a fairly large amount of control. Not absolute control - as SS2K5 mentioned, that job doesn't exist anyway - but a lot. Otherwise, he takes a different job. Look at Hahn's career - he's move up awfully fast, and he's got a JD and an MBA. This guy isn't going to just take a job like this for the title and a little more money. And if he is going to make GM money either way, why take the job with less control?

Loyalty and locality are the only logical reasons I can see for him to put himself in that position. Does anyone really think those outweigh the rest? No way.

KW will fade out and, by the end of the 2013 season, will have only a little to do with personnel moves. He'll be less of a puppetmaster, and more of an annoyance to Hahn, asking questions and pestering.

I imagine the trades the Sox made last year were primarily Hahn's doing. In his 10+ years on the job, Williams seemingly never made trades like those, and they made 3 of them last year. I seem to recall Hahn speaking in the past about value and negotation, and those seem far likelier to be up his alley than Williams.

The one move I can think of that really fits that is the Griffey trade where Williams gave up Masset and Richar. That's similar enough to Stewart/Lillibridge.

It will be interesting to see what they say at the press conference. I don't know where people are getting KW is just being phased out. If the White sox told him to leave they have to pay him for a year anyway. I would imagine most of the decisions are a group effort, so that will probably not change, just Hahn chasing down the deals not KW.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
It will be interesting to see what they say at the press conference. I don't know where people are getting KW is just being phased out. If the White sox told him to leave they have to pay him for a year anyway. I would imagine most of the decisions are a group effort, so that will probably not change, just Hahn chasing down the deals not KW.

Big things will always be done in committee, sure. But little to medium things, Rick will own, and big things, he will own the idea-generation and getting things served up, for discussion in said committee. That is the job of a GM.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
Big things will always be done in committee, sure. But little to medium things, Rick will own, and big things, he will own the idea-generation and getting things served up, for discussion in said committee. That is the job of a GM.

JR just said KW will maintain oversight and final approval on major baseball deals. I think the change is more gas in Rick's tank, and Hahn now doing the legwork.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
JR just said KW will maintain oversight and final approval on major baseball deals. I think the change is more gas in Rick's tank, and Hahn now doing the legwork.

leg work, and the basic plan, and most of the ideas for the team. That is a pretty big shift. Of course, as others have pointed out, that was probably already happening in 2012, and will transition further in 2013. Obviously it won't be a an on/off switch. But I have no doubt that by the end of 2013, Hahn will be doing 80% of what KW was doing as of, say, this time last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)

yeah, I think this move is primarily to keep Kenny from literally killing himself. The job stress is always apparent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
yeah, I think this move is primarily to keep Kenny from literally killing himself. The job stress is always apparent.

And the only way to do that is have him back off major chunks of the job. Changing his title isn't going to accomplish that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
leg work, and the basic plan, and most of the ideas for the team. That is a pretty big shift. Of course, as others have pointed out, that was probably already happening in 2012, and will transition further in 2013. Obviously it won't be a an on/off switch. But I have no doubt that by the end of 2013, Hahn will be doing 80% of what KW was doing as of, say, this time last year.

I think he will be doing KW's old job this afternoon, the only difference being while KW had to take things to JR, RH will be taking them to KW.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
I think he will be doing KW's old job this afternoon, the only difference being while KW had to take things to JR, RH will be taking them to KW.

That sounds about right, though I do agree with others that they will use the opportunity of having the new guy internal, to transition things a little big gradually.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
And the only way to do that is have him back off major chunks of the job. Changing his title isn't going to accomplish that.

And common sense tells me if they aren't shifting responsibilities, there is no real reason to make this move. It also makes clear why Rick has never left the Sox despite the chances to move up in some other town.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)

Along that point, I wonder if putting Kenny in that spot means Jerry will be doing less day to day stuff. He has to be looking at his own exit strategy here soon.