4 Sox players are on the trading block

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Dump Dunn's deal if you can, free up cash

Sign Victorino to replace DeAza with Floyd's salary

Use Floyd & DeAza in deals for other pieces

Sign Hafner & set up a platoon DH with Hafner vs. RHP & rotate PK/Viciedo/Rios/FA OF vs. LHP, to give the starters a rest while keeping their bats in the lineup

If they dump Dunn's deal, then they might as well trade Rios, PK and anyone else that has value. Trading Dunn doesn't make you better. It leaves the team void of LH run producers. Yes I know that you suggested Hafner. If they trade Dunn they should completely rebuild. It's all a moot point though because unlike many posters on this board, I am pretty sure the White Sox front office wants to keep Dunn.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o At this point in their careers, I De Aza is a better player than Victorino and a helluva lot cheaper.

Sign Hafner & set up a platoon DH with Hafner vs. RHP & rotate PK/Viciedo/Rios/FA OF vs. LHP, to give the starters a rest while keeping their bats in the lineup

What happens when Hafner gets injured?

Dump Dunn's deal if you can, free up cash

Use Floyd & DeAza in deals for other pieces

What makes you believe you can rely on Victorino and Hafner after their up and down performances the last 2/3 seasons?

Why would you want to get older instead of younger?

There's definitely going to be some players out there worth taking a risk on, and there's obviously going to be this "catch lightning in the bottle/roll the dice" as it worked in 2005, it can work again, philosophy, but it's not going to be a sustainable model for success at all.

It puts us right back in the "must win in 2014/2015" time frame...we better cross our fingers that one of those guys like Thompson or Sanchez emerges at nearly Gordon Beckham 2009 impact mode to inject some youth, OBP and athleticism into the future offensive line-ups.

Some of the names of players that have been suggested on this board are interesting. However, it seems likely that any significant position player acquisition will be a left handed hitter. And it would be a better move than bringing in another right handed bat.

Therefore, it seems very doubtful that players like Justin Upton would be candidates.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
Only reason they trade ADA is if they feel he can't last defensively in CF. There were rumblings about this at the end of this past season. If they can sell high on ADA, I have no problem with that.

Viciedo's also a definite possibility to replace Konerko...and you'd have to think with Thompson on the horizon, and the upside of having so much pop in a "defense" first position, they'd be willing to go with a one year band aid solution (or DeAza again) in CF (someone like Victorino, although nobody is 100% convinced he'd be any more productive than Alejandro, and definitely more expensive)...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Why we're not also shopping Thornton, Crain or both is beyond me.

With the emergence of Veal...you just can't have Matt being paid like a quasi-closer and still afford guys like Youkilis, Peavy and AJ at the same time on the roster.

just because it isn't a headline, doesn't mean it isn't happening. We shopped Matt last year, no reason we wouldn't again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)

With the emergence of Veal...you just can't have Matt being paid like a quasi-closer and still afford guys like Youkilis, Peavy and AJ at the same time on the roster.

You dont know that they arent being shopped.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Wait... is this post about De Aza? Seriously? He's 28, just entering his peak years... he's got a number of Arb years left... he played a good (not great) CF, which is something hard to find, especially for the Sox... he put up a .349 OBP despite having some back issues near the end of the season... he's got speed... and he showed a little power, almost reaching double digits in HR. What else do you want from your CF?

The injuries are a concern, I don't disagree there. Other than that, I don't see anything that makes sense in your post.

Seriously? He's average to below average in CF. He's 28. That's not young. I'm not sure what's wrong with any of those statements. I was responding to a post stating, "I don't know why you'd move De Aza." I like De Aza, but I'd move him in a second if we had an impact player to replace him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)

Thornton can go, and should. I'd hold on to Crain. He's way better than given credit and we need some veteran presence in the pen.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Seriously? He's average to below average in CF. He's 28. That's not young. I'm not sure what's wrong with any of those statements. I was responding to a post stating, "I don't know why you'd move De Aza." I like De Aza, but I'd move him in a second if we had an impact player to replace him.

Who cares if he's not 23, he's right in the prime of his career right now and he's cost controlled for a while. He's a very solid player and it's not going to be easy to replace him at a relatively low cost. It makes 0 sense to trade him unless you're getting a good haul back in return.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Who cares if he's not 23, he's right in the prime of his career right now and he's cost controlled for a while. He's a very solid player and it's not going to be easy to replace him at a relatively low cost. It makes 0 sense to trade him unless you're getting a good haul back in return.

I agree...unless you encounter a member of the De Aza Fanclub, and he happens to be the GM of another team, I don't really understand trading him...

unless...

if this is indeed true, it seems to me that Hahn is drawing up his plan of where he wants to go and who he needs to keep, and then is willing to trade the players with the most value to get there...

this isn't something we see often from GM's in pro sports, but it's certainly the sort of aggressive philosophy I could get behind.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)

That's not a whole lot different than what I said. You don't move him unless you have an impact player to replace him.

All of this "let's use Sanchez" talk is crazy to me. If you people are right then that means he's a potential HoFer given his age. I'll admit it is exciting seeing his contact rates and walk rates, but do we all need to chill the heck out? Are we really supposed to expect him to push Beckham this year?

3B seems ridiculous considering his size and approach at the plate.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
If what Hahn is saying about the payroll being about $97 like last year is true, the only scenario where we end up with Hamilton is where Rios is moved first, not Viciedo (because we're sitting at about $89m right now).

I can see no scenario where Hamilton would be signed here.

That is a ridiculous pipe dream.