First big move of the offseason prediction contest

The Ultimate Champion

What kind of move do we make & on what date does it happen?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. The type of move made

• We sign a free agent
    • We claim/take on a contract for nothing
    • We acquire via trade a good player for little or nothing in terms of talent - salary dump
    • We acquire via trade a good player for something that probably matters
    • We salary dump a player for literally nothing
    • We dump a salary for a return of some sort
    • We trade a name player for a good/great return
    • We make a 2-team blockbuster with name players on both sides
    • We make a 3-way deal
    • We make a 4-way deal
  2. 2. On this date

• Nov 13-16
    • Nov 17-19
    • Nov 21-23
    • Nov 24-26
    • Nov 27-29
    • Nov 30-Dec 2
    • Dec 3 (Winter Meetings Day 1)
    • Dec 4 (Winter Meetings Day 2)
    • Dec 5 (Winter Meetings Day 3)
    • Dec 6 (Winter Meetings Day 4)
  3. 3. The position of the newly signed player/trade centerpiece

• c
    • 1b
    • 2b
    • 3b
    • ss
    • dh
    • corner OF
    • cf
    • reliever
    • starting pitcher

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
I know it is risky, but I still think the Sox are Royals could be a good fit with pitching and 3B's.
I wish we had getz back not a great player but is a 250-275 left hitter adequate 2nd base but wouldn't let him bunt too much seems to let his fingers get in the way. Switch Beckham back to third where he seems to have attain a better avg

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE (forrestg @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 02:15 AM)
I wish we had getz back not a great player but is a 250-275 left hitter adequate 2nd base but wouldn't let him bunt too much seems to let his fingers get in the way. Switch Beckham back to third where he seems to have attain a better avg

It seems highly doubtful that Beckham's playing 3RD would correlate to his having a higher average. It probably had nothing to do with his hitting better, and was just coincidental. If anything, he should be happier and more relaxed, now that he seems to have found a position at which he is very comfortable. I'm afraid his discomfort is at the plate!!

QUOTE (forrestg @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)

My temple hurts

Sign Pagan for CF.

Trade Rios and Thornton to Philly for Dominic Brown and Aumont

Trade Floyd, Rienzo, and Morel to Pittsburgh for Alvarez

Sign a vet C.

OF: Tank in LF, Pagan in CF, Brown in RF, DeAza could platoon with Tank and be 4th OF

IF: Alavrez, Ramirez, Beckham, Konerko

I think this would make the Sox younger, cheaper, and better. Now we just need the Pirates and Phillies to get on board :)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)

These passages are hilarious:

They’ve already acquired right-hander Ervin Santana from the Los Angeles Angels for lefty Brandon Sisk, a 27-year-old reliever who has never pitched in the majors. Santana came at a net price of $12 million, but the Royals are obligated to him only for next season. So, they can still fit a free agent such as righty Jeremy Guthrie into their payroll on a back-loaded, multiyear deal.

That would be SUCH a Dayton Moore move, lol. I really feel bad for Royals fans sometimes.

Another potential trade partner for the Royals could be Houston, which is open to moving certain assets for multiple parts. The price for a starter such as right-hander Bud Norris or righty Lucas Harrell would be lower than it is for, say, Hellickson. But of course, the impact might be lower, too.

Yes, Lucas Harrell is the missing piece of the next Royals dynasty, lol.

Sometimes I wonder how they find these reporters. It must just be hustle that lands these guys big jobs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
New GMs like to make big splashes relatively soon after taking over. Schueler traded for Tim Raines, KW went after David Wells. I suspect Hahn would like to make a blockbuster this winter.

The problem is that Hahn's move has to be revenue neutral or be preceded by other moves.

The Jays still have some talented prospects hanging around.

Toronto needs another starting pitcher and relief depth.

I wonder if they would do a deal centered around Floyd + Reed for Escobar + Sierra + pitching prospect(s).

Picking up Yunel would give the Sox a lot of options. It would 1) help them move Alexei's contract if they could find a taker, 2) it would give them a 3B option just in case other ideas don't work out, and 3) it would give them another trade piece. Sierra would give the Sox more OF depth and would slot in somewhere this year either as a starter or backup depending on how the offseason goes.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Nov 17, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
The Jays still have some talented prospects hanging around.

Toronto needs another starting pitcher and relief depth.

I wonder if they would do a deal centered around Floyd + Reed for Escobar + Sierra + pitching prospect(s).

Picking up Yunel would give the Sox a lot of options. It would 1) help them move Alexei's contract if they could find a taker, 2) it would give them a 3B option just in case other ideas don't work out, and 3) it would give them another trade piece. Sierra would give the Sox more OF depth and would slot in somewhere this year either as a starter or backup depending on how the offseason goes.

Unless something has changed, Yunel Escobar won't be on the Blue Jays much longer.