Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
I do. Love it. I always a new razor every week. The $1/mo is actually $3/mo with shipping, but still worth it. I never think twice.

Was going to get the middle option but sounds like the one you use would be fine for me.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
My wife's grandfather, a 90 year old WWII vet who fought at Normandy, died last night. Not very many WWII vets left.

My condolences.

I was hanging with my grandpa yesterday. He's 91, fought for the Polish Army during the war, spent several years in a Russian POW camp.

My grandfather passed a while back. He fought in the Pacific Theater. I really wasn't old enough to understand what it meant that he fought in the war when he died. All I knew, funny enough, was that grandpa had four belly buttons. That is, he had one belly button and four permanent indentions from the gunshots.

I later found out that I very nearly didn't have grandfather (and thus, no mother and thus, no me). Once upon a time, a grenade came in his bunker. Next thing you know, grandpa is laying on this grenade, hoping to save his buddies.

It was a dud. Thank goodness

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Sigh...Has anyone here dealt with racoons in the attic?

Yep. either trap and release far far far away, or get an exterminator. They will come back.

And, you better find their point of entry and block it up good

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Yep. either trap and release far far far away, or get an exterminator. They will come back.

And, you better find their point of entry and block it up good

Any idea what the costs of an exterminator would be? If that's the route you went. Pretty sure there's babies up there as well.

There's a hole in the roof..It's an "unfinished" attic meaning its just beams up there to walk on, I don't trust myself to get up there and not end up f***ing the ceiling

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Any idea what the costs of an exterminator would be? If that's the route you went. Pretty sure there's babies up there as well.

There's a hole in the roof..It's an "unfinished" attic meaning its just beams up there to walk on, I don't trust myself to get up there and not end up f***ing the ceiling

We went the "trap and remove" route. I dont know what an exterminator would cost

It's amazing how much volunteering to host Thanksgiving at our house inspires us to clean. The really deep once-a-year type cleaning where we just go through the house and start throwing out crap that we haven't seen or used in who knows how long.

We are probably going to end up filling our suburban up with bags of stuff to take to the goodwill.

Random question - anyone collect coins or stamps? I was at a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago and ended up winning an assortment of coins and stamps. They're supposedly valued at about $1,000 (for a $40 donation...not bad!). Anyways, one of the stamps in particular was valued at $400 bucks. Some used 1920's stamp from a zeppelin flight or something. I have no idea where to go to (1) get an idea of what this stuff is worth, (2) whether it's worth holding on to, and if not (3) where to sell them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
Random question - anyone collect coins or stamps? I was at a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago and ended up winning an assortment of coins and stamps. They're supposedly valued at about $1,000 (for a $40 donation...not bad!). Anyways, one of the stamps in particular was valued at $400 bucks. Some used 1920's stamp from a zeppelin flight or something. I have no idea where to go to (1) get an idea of what this stuff is worth, (2) whether it's worth holding on to, and if not (3) where to sell them.

I collect some coins. My favorite is a 1602 Queen Elizabeth silver 2 pence

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)

There used to be coin and stamp stores, but I would assume those are all gone. You should try and see if anyone is selling the same ones on ebay.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
I know there's still a store open across from the Daley Center in the temple building.

I just wonder how much this stuff really appreciates in value over time. I'll probably just throw it in a safe and give it to my kid(s) one day.

There's still a store in Hawthorn mall if you're near the North suburbs as well.