2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 07:14 AM)
Got the Disney Infinity starter pack for my kids. Don't know if I am prepared for the financial drain those toys will provide

We looked into it but the cost is what really turned me off about it. The kids were kinda/sorta interested in it but not really enough to justify it.

We bought them a bunch of UB Funkeys when they were popular and they lost interest in those after a while as well. At least they were only 7 bucks for each new character.

Plus we’d end up having to buy another PS3 so that I could still play my games.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Is that kind of like the Disney version of Skylanders?

It is exactly that.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
We looked into it but the cost is what really turned me off about it. The kids were kinda/sorta interested in it but not really enough to justify it.

We bought them a bunch of UB Funkeys when they were popular and they lost interest in those after a while as well. At least they were only 7 bucks for each new character.

Plus we’d end up having to buy another PS3 so that I could still play my games.

I found the starter kit at the store for 75 bucks, but I got it on Amazon for 60. Considering games cost anywhere from 50-60 bucks, i thought it was worth it with the little pod and three figures.

Those figures are like 7.50 each. sigh

I play a lot of PC games on my gaming rig, so I know what games look like with in 1080P with AA. I played the PS4 for the first time today (it was FIFA 14) and I was not impressed with the visuals at all.

That said, I did get NBA 2K14 and Madden 25 for $20 combined after trading in 6 PS3 games and a controller.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
I play a lot of PC games on my gaming rig, so I know what games look like with in 1080P with AA. I played the PS4 for the first time today (it was FIFA 14) and I was not impressed with the visuals at all.

That said, I did get NBA 2K14 and Madden 25 for $20 combined after trading in 6 PS3 games and a controller.

I wouldn't judge a ps4 game's graphics when it's a port. Same with Madden. EA is lazy.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)

So you played a console and it didn't stand up to your PC? Well, that's revolutionary. In other news, the Yankees are still good.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:35 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2907445:date=Dec 18, 2013 -> 07:14 AM:name=KyYlE23)-->
<!--quotec-->Got the Disney Infinity starter pack for my kids. Don't know if I am prepared for the financial drain those toys will provide

You can play in Toy Columbia from BioShock Infinite.

I don't know what I just watched.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:35 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2907445:date=Dec 18, 2013 -> 07:14 AM:name=KyYlE23)-->
<!--quotec-->Got the Disney Infinity starter pack for my kids. Don't know if I am prepared for the financial drain those toys will provide

You can play in Toy Columbia from BioShock Infinite.

I just don't know that my 3 year old will have the same appreciation lol

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:07 AM)
So you played a console and it didn't stand up to your PC? Well, that's revolutionary. In other news, the Yankees are still good.

Like Steve said, I did play a port (although FIFA was supposed to be a very good port). However, you do understand that developers rarely develop specifically for the PC anymore right? So pretty much all PC games are ports, just with better resolution and AA. So of course I expected better from a next gen console considering the PS3 was basically a PC from 2006.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 07:42 AM)
I cannot wait to play the new Killzone sometime late next week - and of course, beautiful NBA 2k14.

I thought I'd keep the PS3, but the more I think about it, I should probably sell it.

I only got sports games for the PS4 and I still have unfinished games on PS3. I think I'll keep it until I finish the games I want to finish.

Got the Disney Infinity starter pack for my kids. Don't know if I am prepared for the financial drain those toys will provide

My mother-in-law bought it on Thanksgiving and didnt know who it was going to be for yet. i drooped a few hints to my wife that it sure was something I;d like to play.. hint hint hint.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
I cannot wait to play the new Killzone sometime late next week - and of course, beautiful NBA 2k14.

I thought I'd keep the PS3, but the more I think about it, I should probably sell it.

You'll regret it. PS Plus on PS3 is seriously the best thing ever. Killzone is alright

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
My mother-in-law bought it on Thanksgiving and didnt know who it was going to be for yet. i drooped a few hints to my wife that it sure was something I;d like to play.. hint hint hint.

From what I've read, there are two different modes. A sandbox-type mode where you can have any character you want to play as and it allows multiplayer.

Then there are individual "worlds" that only the characters from that world can access. So you can't have Woody and Buzz Lightyear running around Halloweentown with Jack Skellington.

I don't think the individual worlds offer multiplayer but if they do, at the very least you have to have two characters from that specific world.

I've also read that the WiiU version has less features because the WiiU is underpowered compared to the others.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
From what I've read, there are two different modes. A sandbox-type mode where you can have any character you want to play as and it allows multiplayer.

Then there are individual "worlds" that only the characters from that world can access. So you can't have Woody and Buzz Lightyear running around Halloweentown with Jack Skellington.

I don't think the individual worlds offer multiplayer but if they do, at the very least you have to have two characters from that specific world.

I've also read that the WiiU version has less features because the WiiU is underpowered compared to the others.

all of the reviews I have gone over say the sandbox mode is a blast

Yeah. Sony always has 12 titles up you can download for free. Usually big pretty big titles too. Like right now Uncharted 3, Borderlands 2, and Dragon's Dogma are available among others. You then get to keep these titles forever even if they are no longer available from Sonys 12 game list. Anyways it's your money, but I said it before, the best part of PS4 for me so far is that it forced me to upgrade to PS Plus.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Yeah. Sony always has 12 titles up you can download for free. Usually big pretty big titles too. Like right now Uncharted 3, Borderlands 2, and Dragon's Dogma are available among others. You then get to keep these titles forever even if they are no longer available from Sonys 12 game list. Anyways it's your money, but I said it before, the best part of PS4 for me so far is that it forced me to upgrade to PS Plus.

Good info. Thanks, man.

GameSpot Game of the Year Nominees

BioShock Infinite

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Dota 2

Gone Home

Grand Theft Auto V

Path of Exile

Super Mario 3D World

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

The Last of Us

Zelda won. Sort of surprised. Seems like an awesome game but usually handhelds get ignored in these selections.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood