2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
Like Steve said, I did play a port (although FIFA was supposed to be a very good port). However, you do understand that developers rarely develop specifically for the PC anymore right? So pretty much all PC games are ports, just with better resolution and AA. So of course I expected better from a next gen console considering the PS3 was basically a PC from 2006.

I apologize, man. That post came off very assholish and I just meant it as a joke.

I haven't played anything since Borderlands 2. I have the entire weekend off and am looking to buy something to flip in a couple days. I'm thinking either AC III, Bioshock Infinite or The Walking Dead. I'm leaning towards Bioshock. I loved the first 2. I was a big AC fan until Revelations, which I played for a couple hours and put away.

Edited by TaylorStSox

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
GameSpot Game of the Year Nominees

BioShock Infinite

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Dota 2

Gone Home

Grand Theft Auto V

Path of Exile

Super Mario 3D World

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

The Last of Us

Zelda won. Sort of surprised. Seems like an awesome game but usually handhelds get ignored in these selections.

Did IGN do their awards yet? I'm surprised GTA 5 didn't win, I figured it would win every Game of the Year award.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
I haven't played anything since Borderlands 2. I have the entire weekend off and am looking to buy something to flip in a couple days. I'm thinking either AC III, Bioshock Infinite or The Walking Dead. I'm leaning towards Bioshock. I loved the first 2. I was a big AC fan until Revelations, which I played for a couple hours and put away.

If you didn't like Revelations I wouldn't play III. I thought III was the worst of the franchise since I, but I also liked Revelations. IV however is better, although a huge game. It's the biggest of any AC game by quite a bit.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Did IGN do their awards yet? I'm surprised GTA 5 didn't win, I figured it would win every Game of the Year award.

IGN has their nominees only now:

Bioshock Infinite

Device 6

Dota 2

Gone Home

GTA5

Last of Us

Zelda

Super Mario 3D World

Tearaway

Tomb Raider

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 11:25 PM)
If you didn't like Revelations I wouldn't play III. I thought III was the worst of the franchise since I, but I also liked Revelations. IV however is better, although a huge game. It's the biggest of any AC game by quite a bit.

IGN has their nominees only now:

Bioshock Infinite

Device 6

Dota 2

Gone Home

GTA5

Last of Us

Zelda

Super Mario 3D World

Tearaway

Tomb Raider

I got really bored of the running engine and the combat. It's so repetitive and so easy to manipulate. I also got tired of the story. Desmond, you're a drag. You've been the low point in ever AC game since the beginning. I actually loved Brotherhood though. At that point, I thought the series peaked and should have been retired.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Yeah. Sony always has 12 titles up you can download for free. Usually big pretty big titles too. Like right now Uncharted 3, Borderlands 2, and Dragon's Dogma are available among others. You then get to keep these titles forever even if they are no longer available from Sonys 12 game list. Anyways it's your money, but I said it before, the best part of PS4 for me so far is that it forced me to upgrade to PS Plus.

Too bad it's more or less useless for PS4 other than the ability to play others online.

I'm going to download Borderlands 2, but I don't know how much I'll actually play it.

Madden 25 for PS4/XB1 is actually pretty good. It is more or less a direct port of the PS3/X360 version, but the gameplay feels crisper. The run blocking is way better and passing feels more fun. The menus also don't lag anymore, which annoyed the hell out of me on PS3.

NBA 2K14 looks amazing and plays a lot like the previous gen game.

I also really dig the sharing feature on PS4. I've used it twice already.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
NBA2k14 looks great, but I've heard online is even more of a pain on the next gen. I've only played offline, but that stinks. Also, you don't get updated rosters right away.

Fifa is the game I want to try. Everyone I know has said that game is perfection on next gen.

I haven't played online yet. MyCareer and MyGM are enough to keep me busy.

One thing that really bothers me is that I can't edit the order of the franchise fantasy draft.

Edited by chw42

PSN is having a sale on CoD Ghosts for PS4. It's $45 and I got a $10 credit from my PS4 purchase. Not sure if it's worth $35 though. I already played the campaign on PC and I don't know if I want to spend $35 on multiplayer.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 12:03 AM)
Too bad it's more or less useless for PS4 other than the ability to play others online.

I'm going to download Borderlands 2, but I don't know how much I'll actually play it.

Resogun is awesome and addicting and is free with ps+ right now on ps4. That alone makes it worth it.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Resogun is awesome and addicting and is free with ps+ right now on ps4. That alone makes it worth it.

Yeah, good point. Contrast was a freebee too although I haven't got around to playing it yet. PS Plus will get more PS4 games as time passes. I bet Knack will be free in a few months, not that that's anything special from what I've read. They treat PS Plus like Netflix. You get stuff later than release, but it's paid for with your subscription.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
Yeah, good point. Contrast was a freebee too although I haven't got around to playing it yet. PS Plus will get more PS4 games as time passes. I bet Knack will be free in a few months, not that that's anything special from what I've read. They treat PS Plus like Netflix. You get stuff later than release, but it's paid for with your subscription.

With how PS Plus works now on PS4, I don't see them giving away major games to everyone with it (a lot of people will have it for online play).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
With how PS Plus works now on PS4, I don't see them giving away major games to everyone with it (a lot of people will have it for online play).

XBox Live is giving away major games with the same exact subscription model. Don't see why the new PS Plus would be any different.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)

They were going to have Drive Club offered on PS Plus before that game got delayed. As far as I know that's still the plan when the game does come out. That's a "major" game.

Just rented AC4. Pretty much just have tonight and tomorrow to play. Due back on Xmas, but I doubt I am going to play too much Xmas day.

So far so good. Not a huge fan of the naval battles like some people are, but I like the storyline of someone stealing the assassin's identity, instead of it just being a family occupation. Was really hoping the graphics and the world would be as lively as Far Cry 3, but so far it doesn't seem that way. Only 15 minutes in, but was really hoping for that beautiful Far Cry 3 world.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 01:06 AM)
Just rented AC4. Pretty much just have tonight and tomorrow to play. Due back on Xmas, but I doubt I am going to play too much Xmas day.

So far so good. Not a huge fan of the naval battles like some people are, but I like the storyline of someone stealing the assassin's identity, instead of it just being a family occupation. Was really hoping the graphics and the world would be as lively as Far Cry 3, but so far it doesn't seem that way. Only 15 minutes in, but was really hoping for that beautiful Far Cry 3 world.

Why even bother renting a game if you're only going to have a day with it? It's not like it's Madden or FIFA.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 03:05 AM)
Why even bother renting a game if you're only going to have a day with it? It's not like it's Madden or FIFA.

Because my cousin's basketball game tonight was right next to a Family Video, and I'll pass the same store on my way to my aunt's house for Xmas. Otherwise it's a 15 minute drive to a town I never go to, so figured I'd get some of the game done now, and then rent it again next time I'm in that town.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to the animal killing. Looking at the things I can craft, I see I can kill like 3 different types of sharks, a killer whale, and a giant white whale or something. I saw a whale jump in the opening mission of the game, and I am having a hard time imagining how I am going to take down that beast, unless I can use a gigantic harpoon or something. Or throw a powder keg in it's mouth and shoot it or something.