Steubenville Rape Case

BigSqwert

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Before social media and camera phones just think about how many of these happened in small towns and were never reported.

Hell, think about how many of these still happen and aren't reported.

Or happen and the victim is too scarred to report anything.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)

A lot of people think the media wasn't too sympathetic toward the victim. Kind of focusing on the football players having shattered lives now.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
While I agree that kids don't know how to drink, as I sure as hell didn't at that age, there were plenty of situations in which I was making out with a girl at a party and she got black out drunk the same night yet I never felt inclined to, entitled to or in the right to have non-consensual sex with her. I was more interested in seeing if we could get together another night.

Not to mention the thought of filming it, laughing about it and sharing it. Talk about sick. That alone shows me these sick f***s felt untouchable and simply didn't give a damn.

Y2HH this also happened to me once in college. I was making out with a girl outside her dorm and she basically blacked out. I never thought about taking advantage of her. I remember shaking my head at my bad luck, cause it was obvious it was going to be a hook up that night, pretty much carried her to her room, and tucked her in with her blanket. I saw her a couple times after that as friends and she was sort of embarrassed. But I knew right from wrong and no way was I going to take advantage of her when she was that drunk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
Hell, think about how many of these still happen and aren't reported.

Or happen and the victim is too scarred to report anything.

These small "football" towns self-police these things as well. We will see these "adults" get in trouble very shortly for covering this s*** up.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013...io-rape-victim/

Threats over facebook are arrestable offenses? Really?

After the sentencing, detectives notified the attorney general’s office of the alleged social media threats, DeWine’s office said. As a result, a 16-year-old girl was charged today with aggravated menacing for allegedly threatening the life of the victim via Twitter, and a 15-year-old was charged with menacing for allegedly threatening bodily harm via Facebook.

Both girls were taken to the Jefferson County Juvenile Detention Center on the misdemeanor charges, the attorney general’s office said.

Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla explained why the threats had to be taken seriously, according to ABC News Radio.

“If I just laid back and be lackadaisical and say, ‘Oh well, no big deal,’ and something happens, whose fault is it?” he asked. “I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.”

Well sorry Mr. Prosecutor. That pesky Freedom of Speech got in the way.

(and yes, I know that some states have those online intimidation/threat laws and I think they're a travesty to free speech rights).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
Yeah, that seems to extend beyond the reach of the First Amendment. You can't threaten someone's livelihood, even if it's over the internet.

Twitter though, jesus. This case is all sorts of f***ed

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:40 PM)
Twitter though, jesus. This case is all sorts of f***ed

Tell you what though, it is sick looking at reply's to any celebritys tweets. There will be 10-15 "i hope you f-ing rot you f" things completely unprompted. There really should be some way to report abuse.

1st amendment and threats are a tricky one.

Im a huge 1st amendment person. That being said, should there really be protection for speech that is threatening violence/crime? For speech that's purpose is to intimidate others?

I guess my belief is that it should be related to assault. That there has to be an actual ability to carry out the threat. This creates terrible interpretations obviously.

But I dont think yelling at Lebron "Im going to murder you if you dont miss this free throw" at a game should be actionable.

I do think threatening Lebron and saying that if he shows up at the game you are going to do something bad to him, could be actionable.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 08:41 PM)
Um, the First Amendment pretty much never protected anybody who made threats or communicated intent to harm someone. The f***? Yes, that's a crime. No, that is no travesty.

Don't worry, they won't lose their right to buy guns!

The correct answer is that people will generally sort internet squabbling out amongst themselves, but getting lawyers involved (by nature) will eventually lead to precedents and legislation that will erode our 1A rights.

"BUT I SAW A NEWS STORY ABOUT INTERNET BULLYING WHERE SOMEONE KILLED THEMSELVES" -- This so rarely happens it shouldn't even matter. However being so sensationalized by the bleeding hearts of course many will gladly watch their rights get flushed down the toilet to feel better about it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013...io-rape-victim/

Threats over facebook are arrestable offenses? Really?

Well sorry Mr. Prosecutor. That pesky Freedom of Speech got in the way.

(and yes, I know that some states have those online intimidation/threat laws and I think they're a travesty to free speech rights).

Freedom speech has it's limitations, which it should.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)
Yeah I'm not sure where the right to threaten people with bodily harm supposedly comes from. This isn't some abstract threat or from some random person on the other side of the country, it's from a couple of girls in the same town.

One is a cousin of one of the two players

IMO what these chicks did, while abhorrent, should never the less be protected. Generally the rule of law is that unless the speech is going to lead to immediate action it's protected. The victim might have had a case for assault if she really felt threatened by it, but that requires some level of immediacy. I can't threaten you and then 2 weeks later claim that I was assaulted.

They were threats over Facebook and Twitter. People have said worse things. They're physically not anywhere near each other so that immediacy concern is gone. Arresting these girls is a bit much IMO. Perhaps the school could have suspended them. That seems more appropriate.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
1st amendment and threats are a tricky one.

Im a huge 1st amendment person. That being said, should there really be protection for speech that is threatening violence/crime? For speech that's purpose is to intimidate others?

I guess my belief is that it should be related to assault. That there has to be an actual ability to carry out the threat. This creates terrible interpretations obviously.

But I dont think yelling at Lebron "Im going to murder you if you dont miss this free throw" at a game should be actionable.

I do think threatening Lebron and saying that if he shows up at the game you are going to do something bad to him, could be actionable.

As you know, the problem is who gets to decide this? And what other problems does that create?