Non Roster Invites

flavum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox To Sign Gray, Troncoso, Anderson

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 10, 2013 at 2:21pm CST]

The White Sox announced that they agreed to sign seven players to minor league contracts that include invitations to MLB Spring Training. Right-handers Jeff Gray and Ramon Troncoso, left-hander David Purcey, catcher Bryan Anderson, infielders Josh Bell and Steve Tolleson and outfielder Stefan Gartrell will all report to Glendale next month.

Gray pitched for the Twins in 2012, posting a 5.71 ERA with 4.5 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9 in 52 innings. Troncoso, who turns 30 next month, pitched for the Dodgers' Triple-A team in 2012. Purcey also spent the 2012 season at Triple-A, and he struck out more than one batter per inning at that level while struggling to limit walks. The 26-year-old Anderson appeared in ten games for last year's Cardinals team. Bell, formerly a top prospect, played in 21 games for the Diamondbacks in 2012. Tolleson appeared in 29 games with the 2012 Orioles, posting a .183/.227/.310 batting line as a utility player. Gartrell posted a .787 OPS with 20 home runs for the Braves' top affiliate last year.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/whit...LJAKTKm3hzDg.99

It's pretty sad that as Sox fans, these are the names we're supposed to get excited about.

Dodgers fan: Hey! We signed Greinke!

Angels fan: So what? We got Hamilton.

Bluejays fan: We traded for Josh Johnson, Buehrle, Jose Reyes and traded for RA Dickey

White Sox fan: We re-signed Peavy, and signed Keppinger, Josh Bell, Brian Anderson, Trancoso, Gartrell, etc.,

Yep...(cricket sounds)

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
It's pretty sad that as Sox fans, these are the names we're supposed to get excited about.

Bluejays fan: We traded for Josh Johnson, Buehrle, Jose Reyes and traded for RA Dickey

White Sox fan: We re-signed Peavy, and signed Keppinger, Josh Bell, Brian Anderson, Trancoso, Gartrell, etc.,

Yep...(cricket sounds)

you whine too much

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)

Yep...(cricket sounds)

I had no idea you felt this way. You should repeat it 7 times today.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)

Yep...(cricket sounds)

Twins fan: We still suck!

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)

Yep...(cricket sounds)

It's always exciting when your team lands the consensus #1 or #2 free agent, but twenty-something other teams missed out on them along with us. And this is not meant to be any kind of predictive statement for 2013, but the combined bWAR of Peavy and Keppinger was higher than the combined bWAR of Greinke and Hamilton last season. Sox fans shouldn't be too upset.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
I think the majority of this board would agree with you. Except to replace the word "sad" with "pissed".

I wouldn't be sad. I'd be happy. Greinke is really good. Then you trade Floyd for prospects. Even if I thought it was an overpay, I'd be so pumped to watch him pitch for us next year.

The way this team is assemble now, we won't beat the Tigers, Blue Jays, Angels, Rangers, Yankees, Rays, A's, Red Sox, and maybe the Royals for a American League Championship. So in my opinion trade away anybody who has value except Sale to bring in many top prospects and young players, the money that we saved,we start signing top free agents at the end of 2014 and high draft picks, we will be able to compete for many years to come. I hate being a middle of the road team.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
The way this team is assemble now, we won't beat the Tigers, Blue Jays, Angels, Rangers, Yankees, Rays, A's, Red Sox, and maybe the Royals for a American League Championship. So in my opinion trade away anybody who has value except Sale to bring in many top prospects and young players, the money that we saved,we start signing top free agents at the end of 2014 and high draft picks, we will be able to compete for many years to come. I hate being a middle of the road team.

On the bright side, this point of view means you need to watch a lot less games this year... afterall why watch something you hate?

If people keep predicting the Sox to finish behind Kansas City, sometime in the next 50 years, they will eventually be correct.