2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
The Bears led the NFL is games missed by players who started on defense in week one. That also did NOT include the games missed by guys like Henry Melton who missed the entire season on IR.

Henry Melton did not miss the entire season on IR. He played the first two games (might have even been part of the 3rd game...I don't remember).

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
The Bears led the NFL is games missed by players who started on defense in week one. That also did NOT include the games missed by guys like Henry Melton who missed the entire season on IR.

Not enough people realize what this means. I know "next man up" is a favorite phrase in football, but eventually, it doesn't matter who the next man is when you're down to guys who have no business playing major minutes on a NFL defense. It might not be an excuse to have a record-setting worst defense in Bears' history, but it goes a long way in explaining what happened.

Between getting healthy, free agent signings, and the draft, I think the defense can be much improved next year.

It just was a strange game, even the roughing the passer was pretty weak and that led to an early field goal for GB.

If salary wasnt a concern you probably bring back Cutler and see what happens. But if he wants to get paid serious money it may just be better to diversify the spending because injuries always happen in football.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
Henry Melton did not miss the entire season on IR. He played the first two games (might have even been part of the 3rd game...I don't remember).

Blew out his knee in game 3 vs the Steelers

Maybe he meant Kelvin Hayden

Quick playoff predictions:

Niners over Pack

Eagles over Saints

Seahawks over Niners

Panthers over Eagles

Seahawks over Panthers

Chiefs over Colts

Chargers over Bengals

Broncos over Chargers

Chiefs over Pats

Chiefs over Broncos

Seahawks over Chiefs

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec in the SB. 9, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)
Quick playoff predictions:

Niners over Pack

Eagles over Saints

Seahawks over Niners

Panthers over Eagles

Seahawks over Panthers

Chiefs over Colts

Chargers over Bengals

Broncos over Chargers

Chiefs over Pats

Chiefs over Broncos

Seahawks over Chiefs

Im taking the Patriots and 49ers I

My thoughts that no one cares about:

-Despite the result, that was a fun game to be at. Wasn't too cold, lots of excitement, and Packers fans are very friendly, albeit cheesy. And let's be honest. "Anything can happen" in the playoffs, but it wasn't gonna happen with the Bears secondary, no way they win 4 in a row. Just hurts cause it was a repeat of 2010/11

-Not to harp on one single play or blame it on Trestman, but that fumble return TD was killer, never would have happened under Lovie. Play until the whistle blows, every ball is live. It wasn't just one Bear, they were all staring at it. Had a Bear picked it up, he could have easily rumbled past midfield, maybe even a touchdown

- Chris Conte sucks

-Cutler, Cutler, Cutler. He missed some throws early, but overall played a pretty good game, just not enough. His record vs the Packers does suck, but exactly who can you bring in next year to beat them? I don't really trust McCown to play so well for 16 games. The Browns, Jets, Vikings, Rams, Cardinals, etc. have proven that it's not that easy to find a QB. IMO, ideally they sign him to a non-franchise level contract and draft a lower round QB they like with the intent of giving him 2-3 years as a backup. I can't argue against Cutler's flaws, but the concern is that it could take you another 10+years to find another QB in a passing driven league.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)
Quick playoff predictions: Niners over Pack Eagles over Saints Seahawks over Niners Panthers over Eagles Seahawks over Panthers Chiefs over Colts Chargers over Bengals Broncos over Chargers Chiefs over Pats Chiefs over Broncos Seahawks over Chiefs

If Alex Smith can win in Indy, Foxboro, then Denver, then holy s***, mad props to him. Don't see it happening, but wow.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Jesus people. Learn to read. Here are the points i'm making:

(1) Cutler might have outplayed Rogers in today's game based on stats alone, but at the end of the day one guy led his team down the field and won the game. That's who I think had the better game. It's not like Rogers sucked.

(2) in thinking about the future, I don't believe Cutler is a franchise QB or the answer for the Bears, for a variety of reasons which I've spelled out. I'm not opposed to bringing him back, but it has to be at the right price because there are enough weapons for average QB's to win with IF they can also upgrade the defense.

(3) the defense blows and clearly made critical errors in the game. They are much more to blame than Cutler.

(4) people blaming Tucker for a stupid mistake by the defense on a fumble-TD and thinking Lovie would have stopped that from happening are stupid.

To point 4. Are you insane. Did you watch the bears with lovie. They always were coached to pick up every lose ball. Every one...dead play or not. It was part of lovies philosophy of making sure people were always going for turnovers and going to the ball at all times.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 11:36 PM)
To point 4. Are you insane. Did you watch the bears with lovie. They always were coached to pick up every lose ball. Every one...dead play or not. It was part of lovies philosophy of making sure people were always going for turnovers and going to the ball at all times.

Yup. Every practice from the start of training camp under Lovie, every incomplete pass was a loose ball. If there was a ball on the ground, the defense picked it up immediately.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)
My thoughts that no one cares about:

-Despite the result, that was a fun game to be at. Wasn't too cold, lots of excitement, and Packers fans are very friendly, albeit cheesy. And let's be honest. "Anything can happen" in the playoffs, but it wasn't gonna happen with the Bears secondary, no way they win 4 in a row. Just hurts cause it was a repeat of 2010/11

-Not to harp on one single play or blame it on Trestman, but that fumble return TD was killer, never would have happened under Lovie. Play until the whistle blows, every ball is live. It wasn't just one Bear, they were all staring at it. Had a Bear picked it up, he could have easily rumbled past midfield, maybe even a touchdown

- Chris Conte sucks

-Cutler, Cutler, Cutler. He missed some throws early, but overall played a pretty good game, just not enough. His record vs the Packers does suck, but exactly who can you bring in next year to beat them? I don't really trust McCown to play so well for 16 games. The Browns, Jets, Vikings, Rams, Cardinals, etc. have proven that it's not that easy to find a QB. IMO, ideally they sign him to a non-franchise level contract and draft a lower round QB they like with the intent of giving him 2-3 years as a backup. I can't argue against Cutler's flaws, but the concern is that it could take you another 10+years to find another QB in a passing driven league.

I said to a buddy of mine three weeks ago that I just want to watch meaningful games. That was when the Bears were 6-6, little did I know that they'd win their next two only to drop the last two. Still, they gave me meaningful games to watch, which is what I wanted out of the last quarter of the season.

And yeah, this was the most meaningful Bears game in 2 years and it was a pretty good game, so there's that.

My thoughts about yesterday's game:

Cutler is not an elite QB, but he had a good game and was very good when the season was on the line in the second half. Nobody anywhere as near as good as Cutler is going to be available in free agency and it would take a s***load of draft picks to trade up to get Bridgewater.

Conversely, this is by far the best offense Cutler is ever going to be able to pilot, so he'd be smart not to price himself out of the Bears' range. Hopefully he understands that the Bears need all the cap space they can get to find some DB and DL.

Something needs to improve with the special teams. I don't know why Toub left, but that may have been the biggest loss the Bears suffered. Yes, Hester is amazing, but Toub is a very big reason why Hester was able to accomplish what he has.

I'm on the fence with Tucker. There were an insurmountable number of injuries, but even at full strength the defense wasn't good. I won't be upset if he's fired, but I won't be upset if they give him one more year.

I don't know how much cap space they can save by cutting Peppers, but it may be time for him to go.