2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Sherman wasn't a good football player, he probably doesn't get into Stanford. And the high school he went to isn't very rigorous when it comes to grades either. He probably isn't some genius, but he was a great athlete who was smart enough to use whatever tools he had to graduate Stanford with a 3.7 GPA in communications. I'm not going to act impressed by that, but I'm not going to discredit it either. He was smart enough to show up to class, probably sit next some cute girl who he would probably get some assistance from in class, go to his tutors, go to study table and use his hours on homework, talk and kiss up to professors, etc. He played the game and he played it well and good for him. There are people a lot smarter than him in much less prestigious universities who also play football but get worse than a 3.7 GPA in communications.

I hate and love the way he acts. Football isn't like other sports and "class" is overrated. Show me a team that isn't "classy" and I'll show you a good team. Football is a game of emotions, it's controlled aggression. You play your ass off to win and compete on every play. I don't like how Sherman dances around and says what he says what he does in public, but what he does say is what is said in the locker room and on the field in between plays. He wants to win, and I love that, and at least when he celebrates he backs it up. Its a lot easier to stomach that dumbass stuff he does when he's that good on the field. You show me the DB out there dancing after he makes a decent hit after the guy catches the ball and holds on to it 40 yards down the field and then I'll want to punch the TV.

I hope Denver mops the floor with them mostly because that will hopefully shut up once and for all the Boston/media/even some neutral fans who think Brady is better than Manning all time.. such a f***ing joke. Plus, Pete Carroll is a piece of s***.

I could care less about Sherman. The interview was entertaining. Not the same typical cliche stuff. I didnt really have an opinion on him as a person after the game, nor do I now.

Anyone else see that it looked like Berman wanted to cry after the game on ESPN? After the Kaepernick interview, he mumbled in sympathy, "He did real good."

Turned the ball over 3 times in the 4th and was pretty average all year. Without their D, Colin is irrelevant. But yeah, Chris. He did real good.

As someone earning a PhD in communication, I can tell you that Stanford is arguably the best such department around. Of course, I can also tell you that D1 football players can pretty much get their work done for them if they are willing to be proactive about it and do a little bit themselves. Schools like Stanford and pretty much all research schools are known for grade inflation too, FWIW

I didn't like the way Sherman went halfway across the field to talk more s*** to Crabtree and offer a fake handshake. You are going to the Super Bowl, go celebrate with your teammates. On the other hand, the interview was half emotion, half his schtick, but god forbid an NFLer has some fun. He's the best in the world at what he does, if he wants to be cocky, good for him.

For all this talk about his education, I'd be willing to bet that his Stanford communications degree was much more difficult to obtain than Manning's Tennessee communications degree, why isn't that being discussed at length. Manning doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed outside of football.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 06:33 AM)
I didn't like the way Sherman went halfway across the field to talk more s*** to Crabtree and offer a fake handshake. You are going to the Super Bowl, go celebrate with your teammates. On the other hand, the interview was half emotion, half his schtick, but god forbid an NFLer has some fun. He's the best in the world at what he does, if he wants to be cocky, good for him.

For all this talk about his education, I'd be willing to bet that his Stanford communications degree was much more difficult to obtain than Manning's Tennessee communications degree, why isn't that being discussed at length. Manning doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed outside of football.

Manning graduated in 3 years with a 3.61. While they all probably take lay up summer school classes, playing a major sport and graduating in 3 or 4 years with GPAs that high, is quite an accomplishment.

If these guys aren't very bright, they still are excellent students.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)
Manning graduated in 3 years with a 3.61. While they all probably take lay up summer school classes, playing a major sport and graduating in 3 or 4 years with GPAs that high, is quite an accomplishment.

If these guys aren't very bright, they still are excellent students.

And I'm sure he had some of the same "help" that everyone is accusing Sherman of getting. In the end, who cares, they are football players. Yesterday a guy's leg was bent in half, and as they replayed it over and over, people's one reaction was "Why can't that be reviewed????", torn ACL be damned. It's a brutal game, not sure why it's a surprise a guy yells into the microphone after just winning. You kind of have to be a little crazy anyway to play in the NFL.

That is a good counter, Rock. Although Paulstar also made a point that football is controlled aggression, and the Lions were anything but controlled.

While Sherman's reaction was priceless(and awesome IMO), the decision to go to him minutes after the game ending INT was questionable at best. It isn't like Sherman has a history of saying inflammatory things or getting punched in the mouth when games end and everyone is on the field

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:39 PM)
I understand people don't like Sherman, but I love the guy. He is the perfect heel, he has a crazy mouth and he can back it up with his play.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 10:41 PM)
Must be the wrestling fan in us but I completely agree.

I hate wrestling but I agree. I don't get why everyone is so upset. It's a f***ing game. The guy is going to the superbowl and was full of emotion. He didn't swear or use vulgar language. America got to see him come across as an idiot but that's his right. Get over this ultra PC bulls*** our society is ultra-obsessed with nowadays.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
Seahawks are really playing into the villain role for this Super Bowl.

either NFC team would have been the villain leading to this superbowl. Manning is too much of a babyface

So in the case of a white athlete, if he had good grades in college, he must be smart but if the athlete is black, we need to question his intelligence, is that right? :huh:

BigSqwert, I'll put the avy on later when I get on my PC.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
So in the case of a white athlete, if he had good grades in college, he must be smart but if the athlete is black, we need to question his intelligence, is that right? :huh:

BigSqwert, I'll put the avy on later when I get on my PC.

I don't think that's the case at all. When you talk like Richard Sherman did at the end of the game - an irrational, psychotic, rambling fool - then people are going to question his intelligence.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:28 AM)
Anyone else see that it looked like Berman wanted to cry after the game on ESPN? After the Kaepernick interview, he mumbled in sympathy, "He did real good."

Turned the ball over 3 times in the 4th and was pretty average all year. Without their D, Colin is irrelevant. But yeah, Chris. He did real good.

Didn't see this and didn't know that Boomah was a 49ers apologist- that's icing on the cake and a cherry on the sundae for me. I will have to seek this out so I can bask in it's splendor.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
I don't think that's the case at all. When you talk like Richard Sherman did at the end of the game - an irrational, psychotic, rambling fool - then people are going to question his intelligence.

I gotta concur on this one. That was definitely a "WTF was this guy thinking" moment.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 06:33 AM)

Why isn't it being discussed at length? Because of your first paragraph - Manning didn't run up to Brady, taunt him, tell him to f*** off or something, and then act all insulted when he got a glove to the face. So there's nothing to discuss about Manning there.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
Russell Wilson is a classy guy. He can't control his psycho defense.

He is quite literally the only player on the entire Seahawks team that I like. There are guys I'm indifferent too - unless Steven Hauschka practices field goals by kicking kittens, he's a big "who cares" guy - but Russell is the only guy I like.