2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
I think the big difference there is that you earn the right to have games in your stadium whereas the super bowl is supposed to be a neutral field.

Exactly, and it really isn't a neutral field if the weather conditions favor one team more than the other just because they limit the opponent.

No one is going to change their mind, but the Super Bowl is probably the biggest spectacle in pro sports. Up until now it hasn't needed the gimmick of snow or blizzard or mud to keep people interested. It appears a bullet will be dodged and conditions Sunday won't play a big part in the outcome of the game. But there would definitely be a huge debate if the weather was awful and ultimately that decided who took home the trophy.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
I think the big difference there is that you earn the right to have games in your stadium whereas the super bowl is supposed to be a neutral field.

We allow weather conditions to still be a factor all of the way up until this one game. If we are really looking for "ideal" wouldn't it be ideal to get the best two teams regardless of weather for the whole season? Changing it for the last game of the year is just ignoring the rest of the season where that doesn't apply.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
We allow weather conditions to still be a factor all of the way up until this one game. If we are really looking for "ideal" wouldn't it be ideal to get the best two teams regardless of weather for the whole season? Changing it for the last game of the year is just ignoring the rest of the season where that doesn't apply.

Then in that case every game should be played on a neutral field, because home field conditions are very important to every team.

And anyway, you don't get the best 2 teams in most seasons. You get some combination of teams that perform well at the right time and teams that take advantage of their circumstances quite well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Then in that case every game should be played on a neutral field, because home field conditions are very important to every team.

And anyway, you don't get the best 2 teams in most seasons. You get some combination of teams that perform well at the right time and teams that take advantage of their circumstances quite well.

Exactly. So why is the Super Bowl different?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
[/i]

Exactly. So why is the Super Bowl different?

Because in the NFL the super bowl is played on a neutral field unlike the championships of the other 3 major sports which have 4/3 splits.

This is probably particularly important for the NFL where only 1 game is played at each level - difficult to justify giving one team home-field advantage in a 1-game single elimination format.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
This is probably particularly important for the NFL where only 1 game is played at each level - difficult to justify giving one team home-field advantage in a 1-game single elimination format.

This is an odd argument. The Super Bowl stadium is picked years in advance, there is a chance a team actually gets home field advantage.

Being the best means performing in any condition.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
Because in the NFL the super bowl is played on a neutral field unlike the championships of the other 3 major sports which have 4/3 splits.

Because the NFL has figured out a way to squeeze more money out of its finals. It isn't about the best game, it is about more money.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
I don't understand this comment.

The NFL makes a lot of money by playing a neutral site football game, which is why the Super Bowl is set up the way that it is. It isn't about weather and ideal conditions at all, otherwise the rest of the season and playoffs would contain the same considerations.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
The NFL makes a lot of money by playing a neutral site football game, which is why the Super Bowl is set up the way that it is. It isn't about weather and ideal conditions at all, otherwise the rest of the season and playoffs would contain the same considerations.

I don't know one way or the other, but it's not obvious to me why having it at a neutral site increases revenue.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
This is an odd argument. The Super Bowl stadium is picked years in advance, there is a chance a team actually gets home field advantage.

Being the best means performing in any condition.

Then Peyton Manning sucks.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Just listened to ESPN Seattle guys interview Martellus Bennet. Great interview. Dude is quite funny. I'll post a link if they archive it.

He's on for an hour every week with Boers & Bernstein. The Black Unicorn is indeed quite awesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Isn't that only because they finally stop play when there's lightning?

Yes. Lightning, tornadoes in the area. Supposedly it is for fan safety. But is it really any safer for fans to sit 3 1/4-4 hours in temperatures potentially subzero? Or other typical cold weather winter conditions? It appears that will be avoided, but it another reason I don't understand actually wanting to play a game, especially with this much on the line, in bad weather. I wonder how the attendance at all the extra Super Bowl week stuff compares between when the game is held somewhere warm and when it's held in a cold weather city with a dome.

Really, if it weren't obvious schedule problems and no time to make up games, I think games would be delayed and postponed like they are in baseball for extreme conditions.

Even here, they have a contingency plan to play the game another day if the weather is too rough. I think it shows the NFL doesn't want the game's outcome to be tainted by weather.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
Yes. Lightning, tornadoes in the area. Supposedly it is for fan safety. But is it really any safer for fans to sit 3 1/4-4 hours in temperatures potentially subzero? Or other typical cold weather winter conditions? It appears that will be avoided, but it another reason I don't understand actually wanting to play a game, especially with this much on the line, in bad weather. I wonder how the attendance at all the extra Super Bowl week stuff compares between when the game is held somewhere warm and when it's held in a cold weather city with a dome.

I wonder how many fans have suffered hypothermia

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
I don't know one way or the other, but it's not obvious to me why having it at a neutral site increases revenue.

Because it is predetermined and more people can plan for the date and location as opposed to a random city on an unspecified date. New York City has organized events every day this week. This can be completed because they know 500,000 will show up for he event. This is the same thing as to why the Kentucky Derby, Indy 500, and Daytona 500 are party atmospheres while Game 6 of the NBA finals is not...because there may or may not be a game 7 and then if there is a game 7 it is a little too late to organize the party.

That is why the Super Bowl is held at neutral site. It has nothing to do with the game itself and one of these times it will be a home game for someone.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Because it is predetermined and more people can plan for the date and location as opposed to a random city on an unspecified date. New York City has organized events every day this week. This can be completed because they know 500,000 will show up for he event. This is the same thing as to why the Kentucky Derby, Indy 500, and Daytona 500 are party atmospheres while Game 6 of the NBA finals is not...because there may or may not be a game 7 and then if there is a game 7 it is a little too late to organize the party.

That's a very good point. Indy even built that giant JW Marriott for the superbowl, not something they could have done on a gamble that the Colts would make it. Almost like a mini-World Cup/Olympics this way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)

Really, if it weren't obvious schedule problems and no time to make up games, I think games would be delayed and postponed like they are in baseball for extreme conditions.

Yea, but tornadoes and lightning are a little different, more random. You know damn well before you leave the house that it is going to be sub zero. You couldnt possibly predict that a tornado is going to blow through or lightning will strike your seat, although you will know the weather will not be pleasant.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Yea, but tornadoes and lightning are a little different, more random. You know damn well before you leave the house that it is going to be sub zero. You couldnt possibly predict that a tornado is going to blow through or lightning will strike your seat, although you will know the weather will not be pleasant.

I would be willing to bet there have been more people hospitalized by exposure attending NFL games than getting hit by lightning or injured from a tornado attending an NFL game before they started stopping them for the latter.

I think they are more concerned with massive amount of casualties at once.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)

That is why the Super Bowl is held at neutral site. It has nothing to do with the game itself and one of these times it will be a home game for someone.

I was watching something last week with a couple of ex players who played in Super Bowls. They both said, because a lot of the crowd has no rooting interest in the game, it is the most quiet game they have ever played.