2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santiago will start Friday night in Milwaukee.

Floyd and Axelrod will pitch Saturday.

It will be interesting to see if they give some starts to Santiago. A 20-day stretch in April without an off day and Danks not ready, I wouldn't mind if they go 6-man during that time and see if Santiago pitches his way into the rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 8h

Three pitchers this spring have 10+ IP and no earned runs. Brian Omogrosso (12.1), Michael Wacha (11.2) & Pedro Hernandez!(11.0)

Omo has impressed

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
All I see is the magic red X, but he has been posting pics of the new additions to US Cellular food all day long

I know the Sox have to do what they have to do to attract customers, but I find it kinda sad that food has to be a selling point to go to a baseball game. But that's just me.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
Is Carlos Sanchez still playing with the Big Club?

No. He's going to Charlotte.

The team flew to Chicago last night, and he's not one of the minor leaguers they brought for the Milwaukee games.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
Just curious since Grabe is playing 2B with the AAA club yesterday and today. They indicated the AAA 2Baseman was with the Big Club.

Let us know how he handles it. Versatility is probably the easiest way to get to the majors.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
Let us know how he handles it. Versatility is probably the easiest way to get to the majors.

Yesterday he went 1-2 with a walk and said he hit the ball well. He started 1 DP and had about 8 other plays at 2B. If I can report good stuff later I will, lol!

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
I know the Sox have to do what they have to do to attract customers, but I find it kinda sad that food has to be a selling point to go to a baseball game. But that's just me.

I would rather them be known for having damn good food then for having whatever the Cubs had until they switched to the Sox vendors.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
Yesterday he went 1-2 with a walk and said he hit the ball well. He started 1 DP and had about 8 other plays at 2B. If I can report good stuff later I will, lol!

Hoping for the best. Sounds like he's putting in a ton of work.

So spring training is over. Anyone impressed/depressed by any developments or lack thereof?

I preface this with the full knowledge that spring training can be very misleading, but that said here are my...

POSITIVES:

I think Viciedo is poised to have a breakout year if he doesn't fall in love with the long ball

Lexi looks hungry to be more of an offensive force

PK came into camp in great shape and shows no signs of slowing down (yet)

Peavy. Fastball. Welcome back.

Nate Jones and the rest of the pen. Think they could be a nasty bunch and push KC for the best in the division.

Gimenez. This dude may surprise us. He can play and could push TFlo for playing time.

Gillaspie. I think he's going to be our starting 3B by June if not sooner.

NEGATIVES:

Dunn just looks lost to me. Sorry, I know it's only ST, but still. LOST.

Beckham. Squat, no squat. Still looks like a popup king to me.

Danks/#5 starter. Asking a lot for a guy to go from throwing 88 to 92. Could take a lot longer than we think.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

All the scouting reports I've read on Beckham have been positive. Hitting .300 in 68 PAs with a bit of power too. Not to put too much stock into ST, but there have been a lot of scout-types who have said that they think Beckham is quicker to the ball now too.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
So spring training is over. Anyone impressed/depressed by any developments or lack thereof?

I preface this with the full knowledge that spring training can be very misleading, but that said here are my...

POSITIVES:

I think Viciedo is poised to have a breakout year if he doesn't fall in love with the long ball

Lexi looks hungry to be more of an offensive force

PK came into camp in great shape and shows no signs of slowing down (yet)

Peavy. Fastball. Welcome back.

Nate Jones and the rest of the pen. Think they could be a nasty bunch and push KC for the best in the division.

Gimenez. This dude may surprise us. He can play and could push TFlo for playing time.

Gillaspie. I think he's going to be our starting 3B by June if not sooner.

NEGATIVES:

Dunn just looks lost to me. Sorry, I know it's only ST, but still. LOST.

Beckham. Squat, no squat. Still looks like a popup king to me.

Danks/#5 starter. Asking a lot for a guy to go from throwing 88 to 92. Could take a lot longer than we think.

I agree with most of your positives. Peavy slider speed is greater also. Combine that with learning how to pitch with lesser stuff last year and Peavy could have another big year.

Disagree about Gillaspie . Keppinger just looked very very solid with the bat and very comfortable playing 3rd. Gillaspie will get playing time against lefties and I like his gap power but he'll only replace Kepp if there's an injury.

Beckham looked good to me . Showed good pop and hit fairly well.

I think if you combine the AB's of every catcher in camp the B.A. was well over .300. Flowers, Gimenez, Anderson, Phegly, Smith .

Angel Sanchez came on strong towards the end of camp. Would have liked to see him get more time at 2nd base . He hit 2 really long HR"s the last few games.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside