2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
Baseball America's Top 100 Prospect Rankings in 2002:

2. Mark Prior, rhp, Cubs

6. Juan Cruz, rhp, Cubs

40. Hee Seop Choi, 1b, Cubs

45. David Kelton, 3b, Cubs

48. Bobby Hill, 2b, Cubs

68. Nic Jackson, of, Cubs

80. Carlos Zambrano, rhp, Cubs

I remember arguing with a Cubs fan about Hee Seop Choi and how you couldn't guarantee he'd be a success. I was right.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)
Baseball America's Top 100 Prospect Rankings in 2002:

2. Mark Prior, rhp, Cubs

6. Juan Cruz, rhp, Cubs

40. Hee Seop Choi, 1b, Cubs

45. David Kelton, 3b, Cubs

48. Bobby Hill, 2b, Cubs

68. Nic Jackson, of, Cubs

80. Carlos Zambrano, rhp, Cubs

So they got D. Lee and Aramis out of that to go along with Zambrano and a few dominating years from Prior.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
They have Rizzo, who has been a bit streaky this year, and a sub-600 OPS version of Castro with bad work habits, laziness, a lack of power and a bit overweight.

But he was such a good prospect!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
So they got D. Lee and Aramis out of that to go along with Zambrano and a few dominating years from Prior.

To be fair...the Pirates did pretty much help them out on that one. Something tells me the Pirates won't be doing that in the next couple seasons.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)

Seems like the Cubs ALWAYS have problems with the hot corner.

Gary Scott - Third Base

Before Aramis Ramirez(notes) took over the hot corner in Chicago the Cubs had gone through a plethora of players trying to fill the void at third base left by the departure of Ron Santo. In 1991 however, the team thought they had found their 3B savior when Gary Scott lit up Spring Training. He was handed the Opening Day start at third in 1991, but faded quickly hitting only .165 before being demoted in early May. The following season was eerily similar as Scott again had a great spring and looked ready to become the Cubs everyday third baseman. He was once again given the Opening Day start only to hit a miserable .103 before being sent down at the end of April.

Eventually Scott was traded to the Florida Marlins in November of 1992. He was traded several more times before retiring from baseball in 1996 having never returned to the Major League level. His career stats of a .160 average with 3 homers and 16 RBI's are a far cry from what hopeful Cubs' fans had been expecting.

Last reports have Gary Scott being hired by TFS Energy in 2005 where he works as a global oil broker.

Who was the other top 3B prospect they've had in the last 20 or so years that completely flopped? The name eludes me.

Corey Patterson, Brant Brown, Brooks Kieshnick, Bobby Hill and Felix Pie say "hello!"

Might as well include Jerome Walton and Dwight Smith for good measure.

Edited by caulfield12

This thread is funny. It's ridiculous that some of you guys were told at a young age that you have to hate the Cubs just because that it is seriously flawing your judgment here. I am a lifelong Sox fan and I know that if the Sox had Bryant, Almora, Baez, and Soler people on this board would be doing cartwheels. They are 4 of the top 30 prospects in baseball. But nah they are on that evil northside team that my parents told me to hate when I was younger. They can't be any good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)

Good point, although those two trades were helped by the cheap Marlins and incompetent Pirates.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
This thread is funny. It's ridiculous that some of you guys were told at a young age that you have to hate the Cubs just because that it is seriously flawing your judgment here. I am a lifelong Sox fan and I know that if the Sox had Bryant, Almora, Baez, and Soler people on this board would be doing cartwheels. They are 4 of the top 30 prospects in baseball. But nah they are on that evil northside team that my parents told me to hate when I was younger. They can't be any good.

Would I rather have the Cubs farm system? Of course. I just hate the hype machine that gets built up, predicting WS titles solely based on prospects, especially with the high bust rate in baseball. We have been hearing about the Royals incredible farm system for years, and what has that gotten them?

To be fair, here were the Sox on the 2002 Top 100 list:

12. Joe Borchard, of, White Sox

23. Jon Rauch, rhp, White Sox

32. Corwin Malone, lhp, White Sox

94. Joe Crede, 3b, White Sox

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)

It is not about hating the cubs farm system. The argument is that the cubs are in better position because they have great 20 year old talent with no pitching prospects while the White Sox appear to have a nice young MLB producing rotation.

Minor league rankings mean absolutly nothing by the way.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
Would I rather have the Cubs farm system? Of course. I just hate the hype machine that gets built up, predicting WS titles solely based on prospects, especially with the high bust rate in baseball. We have been hearing about the Royals incredible farm system for years, and what has that gotten them?

To be fair, here were the Sox on the 2002 Top 100 list:

12. Joe Borchard, of, White Sox

23. Jon Rauch, rhp, White Sox

32. Corwin Malone, lhp, White Sox

94. Joe Crede, 3b, White Sox

Corwin Malone. That's a blast from the past.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
It is not about hating the cubs farm system. The argument is that the cubs are in better position because they have great 20 year old talent with no pitching prospects while the White Sox appear to have a nice young MLB producing rotation.

Minor league rankings mean absolutly nothing by the way.

And again, the same sort of stuff gets said about the Royals for example proving that it isn't just a Cub thing. They have to show something before I will be convinced, especially with a couple of those pieces starting to fall apart at the big league level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
And again, the same sort of stuff gets said about the Royals for example proving that it isn't just a Cub thing. They have to show something before I will be convinced, especially with a couple of those pieces starting to fall apart at the big league level.

Hosmer is doing much better recently.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)

Okay, so the Sox have a bona fide ace in Sale, and a decent #4 in Quintana. What else? Peavy ain't gonna be here in two years. Danks is damaged goods.

The Cubs are in an infinitely better position to do damage between the years of 2015 and 2020. People who can't see that are either blindly hating because they've been programmed to despise all things Cub-related, or they don't know their baseball too well.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

I'm taking the Sox. Farm system rankings are typically a horrible predictor of future success. Having an excellent MLB pitching staff with a pretty long track record of finding and developing pitchers seems like a better predictor for me. I also am happy to know that the White Sox have been far more committed to winning rather than mystical delusions of grandeur. We thought KW was arrogant, but TheoHoyer takes the cake. TheoHoyer believe they have cracked the code. Seems to me, Theo is continuing to pioneer the science of giving out horrible contracts. Enjoy your expensive Edwin Jackson and Starlin Castro! As for the rest, we shall see. I have a feeling that the next time the Cubs compete, it will be because Theo started buying MLB regulars through FA...and lord knows how that will look for the Cubs a few years after that project begins.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Okay, so the Sox have a bona fide ace in Sale, and a decent #4 in Quintana. What else? Peavy ain't gonna be here in two years. Danks is damaged goods.

The Cubs are in an infinitely better position to do damage between the years of 2015 and 2020. People who can't see that are either blindly hating because they've been programmed to despise all things Cub-related, or they don't know their baseball too well.

If I had a dollar for all of the different times I have heard about the Cubs dominance coming in the near future over my lifetime, I could have bought the damned team myself.

Heck for s***s and giggles here is the 2010 prospect list that we were all supposed to be so scared of. Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters were supposed to be all-stars by now. Cashner should have had a Cy Young. Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...010/269148.html

TOP TEN

PROSPECTS

1. Starlin Castro, ss

2. Brett Jackson, of

3. Josh Vitters, 3b

4. Andrew Cashner, rhp

5. Jay Jackson, rhp

6. Hak-Ju Lee, ss

7. Logan Watkins, 2b

8. Chris Carpenter, rhp

9. Ryan Flaherty, ss/2b/3b

10. D.J. LeMahieu, ss/2b

BEST

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)

Who is 4th amongst all MLB starters in K/9 ratio?

Hector Santiago.

You must not watch many White Sox games if you totally forgot about him.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)

A "decent #4"? Jose Quintana has the 17th best ERA in the AL and has a better ERA than Justin Verlander in a much better hitter's park.

A team with Quintana as their "Decent number 4" would have a .700 winning percentage these days.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
A "decent #4"? Jose Quintana has the 17th best ERA in the AL and has a better ERA than Justin Verlander in a much better hitter's park.

A team with Quintana as their "Decent number 4" would have a .700 winning percentage these days.

Maybe he thinks Villanueva is a decent 4 and Jackson a good 5?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)

That's great, but he's just not particularly talented. His stuff is very mediocre.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
Who is 4th amongst all MLB starters in K/9 ratio?

Hector Santiago.

You must not watch many White Sox games if you totally forgot about him.

He's not cut out to be a long term starter. At least not a good one.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
Guys, don't comment on pitching anymore, haha.

Why, because of how it makes you look when you worship the guys the Cubs have on their A-ball squad while discounting 2 of the better-performing pitchers in the AL?