Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
Yet you couldn't handle him telling you what he thought... I mean if you are free to have your opinions, why isn't he free to have opinions about your opinions? Your logic is so faulty.

Well, he is. It is ok to bring them up every once in a while in casual conversation but the constant barrage of snide comments, if you're doing it in a logical, constructive conversation it is one thing, but trying to antagonize me by making snide comments constantly shows a lack of respect. A workplace is supposed to be a team, the way I look at it is the people that are being paid more or are in higher positions than you are there because they have been doing it longer. Everyone is there because they bring something different to the table. I'm there to learn and do the tasks assigned. I guess I don't look at my boss, or anyone in that matter as an authority figure, but someone who is there because they have more knowledge than I do on the subject. If somehow the members of the team are not allowed to constructively criticize each other because there is some sort of pecking order, then the world is more f***ed than I gave it credit for. Everyone is supposed to be working toward a common goal, right? If I have valid, evidence-based reasons to disagree with someone(I'm talking about actually doing the job here, not politics), and it is good for the team/organization why should I keep my mouth shut, and let the team fail? If someone is so insecure that they can't take being made to look stupid when they have a stupid idea or process to get a job done, then they probably shouldn't be working. You brush it off and take it as a learning experience. I'm sure that everyone has been made to look stupid at one point or another at work, right?

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:57 PM)
Well, he is. It is ok to bring them up every once in a while in casual conversation but the constant barrage of snide comments, if you're doing it in a logical, constructive conversation it is one thing, but trying to antagonize me by making snide comments constantly shows a lack of respect. A workplace is supposed to be a team, the way I look at it is the people that are being paid more or are in higher positions than you are there because they have been doing it longer. Everyone is there because they bring something different to the table. I'm there to learn and do the tasks assigned. I guess I don't look at my boss, or anyone in that matter as an authority figure, but someone who is there because they have more knowledge than I do on the subject. If somehow the members of the team are not allowed to constructively criticize each other because there is some sort of pecking order, then the world is more f***ed than I gave it credit for. Everyone is supposed to be working toward a common goal, right? If I have valid, evidence-based reasons to disagree with someone(I'm talking about actually doing the job here, not politics), and it is good for the team/organization why should I keep my mouth shut, and let the team fail? If someone is so insecure that they can't take being made to look stupid when they have a stupid idea or process to get a job done, then they probably shouldn't be working. You brush it off and take it as a learning experience. I'm sure that everyone has been made to look stupid at one point or another at work, right?

First rule of business is your never purposely make your boss look stupid. If you can’t understand that point, then I’m not sure you’re cut out for the corporate world.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:27 PM)
Is there no place for common sense and free exchange of ideas in the workplace? If that is how workplace culture is I can't imagine fitting in with anyone. No wonder I haven't been able to hold a job other than the specialized one I have. If that is how superiors expect you to treat them(like their s*** doesn't stink) then I don't know if I'll ever fit in.

I guess I don't look at my boss, or anyone in that matter as an authority figure, but someone who is there because they have more knowledge than I do on the subject.

This actually explains a lot.

There is always a pecking order in jobs. Constructive criticism should be welcome, and there are certainly bosses/supervisors that handle it better than others. But if you come off the same way IRL as you do on here, and as you claim can't seem to hold a job, maybe the problem isn't everyone else...

Edited by Iwritecode

Here is the issue you have. By definition "boss" is an authority figure. If you hadn't figured that out, the fact he had the power to fire you should have shown you the light.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 09:43 PM)
I completely disagree with that. It absolutely does move from the private to the public sector, because the private sector can indirectly control political discourse and opinion by socioeconomic ostracism. The private sector can make it nearly impossible to support oneself and provide basic needs for one's family based on political views/affiliation. If you may starve to death if you don't comply with what "the machine" wants you to believe, then you are more likely to adopt those beliefs. Mind control by socioeconomic ostracism. If people aren't allowed to exchange ideas because people could lose their job, then it becomes a form of censorship.

I disagree with the bolded. I have to deal with the consequences of "stupid people" voting all of the time, and you do too. You and I probably have different ideas on who the "stupid people" are, and that is my point. People suffer because of other people's stupidity at the ballot box. But if you start to weed out "stupid people" voting only the people in power will vote so I hope you get where I'm going with this.

This is no different than the above.

The mental gymnastics that you went to while impressive, were just as depressing. None of this is actually valid. This is a circular attempt to justify behavior that no one has to accept. That is the bottom line.

When you say something, it is "constructive" but when someone else tells you, you have a problem with it, and it is a conspiracy to topple world governments.

My god.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
I have finally stopped listening to Goff and Bernstein. Its not that I disagree with any of their political stances that they take on the show. I support most if not all that they are typically trying to bring to the forefront.

Its just that their show is no fun, like whatsoever. The issues that they try to address on a daily basis I actually support them on and I am not even suggesting they stop fighting the good fight on air. If they feel personally that they need to use their job as a platform to shed light to any social injustices then the more power to them. I just find no entertainment value to their show at all.

Anthony Herron was hosting with Bernsie today. All the talk I heard was sports and guy talk. It was entertaining as hell; some of the best I've ever heard from Bernstein.

Anybody hear "Danny Mac on Sports?" They're Webb Ford commercials disguised as a Dan McNeil sports minute. MUCH better than the CBS Sports Minute things they have to play several times a day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 03:07 PM)
I worry he won't last long.

Mac and David Haugh filled in for Spiegel and Parkins on Friday. It was awesome. :headbang

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 07:40 AM)
Thought it was funny that John Fox was at Tom Waddles Super Bowl party.

Everybody said Foxy was the life of the party.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't listen too sports radio (except for MLB radio) much anymore but turn it on on my way to see what the topics are. Someone asked a question to a Cubs front office person, I think Epstein about why baseball doesn't have someone like Steve Kerr in basketball speaking out against gun violence. Does the radio person not know about Steve Kerr's father? How many other people in sports have their father assassinated?

How uninformed some of these "hosts" are has no end. I didn't listen to the whole thing so maybe they got more into it but comparing anyone else to Steve Kerr's situation is strange.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 05:05 PM)
I don't listen too sports radio (except for MLB radio) much anymore but turn it on on my way to see what the topics are. Someone asked a question to a Cubs front office person, I think Epstein about why baseball doesn't have someone like Steve Kerr in basketball speaking out against gun violence. Does the radio person not know about Steve Kerr's father? How many other people in sports have their father assassinated?

How uninformed some of these "hosts" are has no end. I didn't listen to the whole thing so maybe they got more into it but comparing anyone else to Steve Kerr's situation is strange.

Wasn't just Kerr. I listened to the segment and Parkins was right on. Popovich, SVG, Kerr, multiple NBA players have been openly discussing many of the issues in society. It's hasn't really been a thing in baseball. That's why they were asking. Parkins and Spiegel have spoken about Kerr's history in the past.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 09:45 AM)
Well, I was wrong, the new Score shakeup is...interesting.

Love Danny Mac and prefer Bernstein middays. He and Goff could get pretty toxic. Danny Parkins does a great job, too.

I can’t agree here, Spiegs did not deserve to be fired and there’s a void from 9-1 now. McKnight is bland and Bernstein is on the hot seat. He was neutered with the move and can’t do his usual antics anymore. Parkins sucks and Mac was better with Spiegs. Spiegs was the soul of the Score. And, 83 Nation is dead, sadly. The wrong producers are with the wrong hosts. Hopefully station management figured out they messed up big time and that listeners are switching the dial to AM 1000. I know that I am and that what happened is disappointing.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 02:29 PM)
Spiegs is awful. He is the worst part of the score right now.

Danny Mac, the guy that backstabbed everyone with his bff Decastro, that’s the worst part of the score hands down. Spiegs was great and neither him nor Goff deserved that bulls***, and certainly not for a guy who has time and time again burned his employers and listeners

Trib sports section has been so gutted. Paul Sullivan has never been my favorite writer there (basically every column has a part where he puts in how he laughed at a players suggestion and they had a back and forth disagreement), but that guy is doing like quadruple duty. Puts together most of the cubs and sox profiles, most of the cubs footage and now a weekly column.

The news staff of the trib is invaluable to me and i get sports from so many other places, but it's just a shame to see the gut job. Idea: get rid of Haugh and use his salary to hire 5 reporters.

I mean honestly the trib was never the best source of sox news. I used to enjoy Teddy Greenstein features on the sox (his trip to las vegas article trying to find frank thomas), but what it's become is brutal. Basically all i get is game summaries

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:48 AM)
It's pretty sad that the best source for Sox media now is the Athletic.

Lots of promotion codes out there now for a year subscription. I signed up a week ago and I'm reading everything while at work.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:10 AM)
Mind sharing some?

Code: starkisback

You get 40 % off a one-year subscription.

You'll probably get your money worth after one week.

Or use this link and I'll get a referral.

https://theathletic.com/296761?shared_by=255810

Edited by Brian